annunaki

annunaki

I just received a free 34" XBR. It is the Sony KDL-34XBR800. It is a monster of a set at 205 lbs. It is an upgrade from my 32" JVC "D" Series tube (which is now in the bedroom).

A well to do customer of mine upgraded to an LCD and did not want the set anymore. It did not have a remote so I borrowed one for set up and I have a universal coming.

Anyone have any tricks I should be aware of with this thing. So far it looks good. SD content is a bit soft but is tolerable. 480p out of my Toshiba HD player looks fantastic. I will try an HD DVD later this week (I don't own any yet).

Currently everything is running component. I will be going with HDMI to a DVI converter as that is the best input available. Hopefully I will take full advantage of the player's upconverting capabilities that way.

It appears I may be upgrading to an Onkyo 805 or 875 sooner rather than later now ;).

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have one of these, only non XBR. Other than too few (DVI) inputs and weight, I am extremely happy with this set. I use an HDMI switch and a Bluejeans HDMI to DVI cable from the switch to the set and it works great. My single favorite feature is the ability to store multiple calibrations that can be used for any input. Vivid, Standard, Movie and Pro. I use Pro for the 980, A2 and PS3, Vivid for the occasional dark game on the PS3, Standard for CATV and Movie for the 2900 which has very different calibration settings.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
I just received a free 34" XBR. A well do do customer of mine upgraded to an LCD and did not want the set anymore.
Is that a do do customer as in dodo the bird, or do do as in doo-doo? ;)

J/K...congrats, the price was sure right! Enjoy it.

Zer0beaT

Zer0beaT

Junior Audioholic
That is a VERY good TV. You'll be hard pressed to beat the picture quality on that set.

I inherited a similar TV from my dad, who also still owns and loves the set you got for free, he's got a Panny plasma aswell and still says nothing will ever beat that Sony XBR picture but he prefers the plasma for its size and the XBR isn't that much better looking, but it's got an edge.

Check the AVS forums for some setup info, there should be a dedicated thread over there but you may have to search outdated topics.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis