Good value stereo receiver for music

C

csplinter

Audiophyte
Why not get a small mixer and a couple of decent mics, so you can use on-ear headphones? That way, you'll be able to play without going deaf, adjust the relative levels to your liking and get some experience with mic techniques. I know on-ear phones aren't always comfortable but many are and some sound very good.
I've been using a pair of Sennheiser H-280s, but then the problem is there's too much isolation. What you suggest, would probably be a good solution. Still, I'd like to do something with these speakers.

My drumming issues aside then, it's unclear to me, to what extent an amp can effect sound quality. Certainly tube amps will impart certain qualities, but will amps like the PV 900 sound noticably different than more expensive ones from Onkyo? Beyond audiophile "it's got 24k gold potentiometers" considerations, is there more to it than watt ratings at x% THD?

A

AllenW

Enthusiast
I've been using a pair of Sennheiser H-280s, but then the problem is there's too much isolation. What you suggest, would probably be a good solution. Still, I'd like to do something with these speakers.

My drumming issues aside then, it's unclear to me, to what extent an amp can effect sound quality. Certainly tube amps will impart certain qualities, but will amps like the PV 900 sound noticably different than more expensive ones from Onkyo? Beyond audiophile "it's got 24k gold potentiometers" considerations, is there more to it than watt ratings at x% THD?

Taking it to basics, if the amp is working in the designed range it will sound as good as it can, if overdriven it will distort.

Tried bi-wiring, didn't notice a difference, when I went to a tri amped system, then I did.
All about how far ya wanna go.

What about using something like a Ipod or Sansa player and ear muffs over that, muffs will cut volume of drums down and the player would let you use volumes low enough to keep tininitus at bay...or at least slow it down??

Al

A

AllenW

Enthusiast
Taking it to basics, if the amp is working in the designed range it will sound as good as it can, if overdriven it will distort.

Tried bi-wiring, didn't notice a difference, when I went to a tri amped system, then I did.
All about how far ya wanna go.

What about using something like a Ipod or Sansa player and ear muffs over that, muffs will cut volume of drums down and the player would let you use volumes low enough to keep tinnitus at bay...or at least slow it down??

Al
I think I may have misread your question, if your asking can different amps sound different, then yes they can.
Why? Quality of parts, design of circuits, how their made, specs, can all effect sound.
While not as much as speakers, they will sound difference to some degree.
Noticeably? Not always.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
If you are a member of AES, then get this reprint: - 3693, Leebrugen and Scott.
I am not a member, but what is his credential? I have no idea what his paper deals with, it may or may not be relevant to what we are talking about here.

There is extensive mathematical analysis and measurement.
Extensive does not mean correct. You can google, and I have, and found all sorts of analysis, and I found a few bogus analysis. Besides, may be the author of that article deals with something different than what I am talking about. For example, if he tried, and sucessfully proved there is no audible benefits, then I have nothing to disagree with him about. If he tried to prove biwire is electrically same as running two parallel pairs from the amp terminals to the speaker terminals without removing the speaker terminal jumpers than I have problem with it.

The upshot of no benefit to bi-wiring. And it bi-wiring is a long jumper, you can see that clearly it is from that data.
As I said, I was not debating whether there is no benefits. I heard no improvements myself. My point is, if you understand basic electrical theory you would not made, and then insist of it as equivalent to a long jumper. Electrically speaking it is not, regardless of the impedance of the wire, it is the crossover at the speaker end that makes the signa (contents) different in the wires.

If you soldered speaker wires to the midpoint of the jumper between the terminals and extrude it back to amp you have just that situation.
It is hard to understand what you are saying without a sketch.

The resistance of the cable to the high pass we will make R1 and the resistance to the low pass crossover R2. R1 will be the same as R2. Now the current in the high pass filter will be less as it takes less power, so the amplitude reduction of the signal to the high pass filter will be less than to the low pass filter.
The high pass will pass mostly high frequency signals so the signal current flow in this wire will be mostly of high frequencies.

Now even with speaker cable resistance of half an ohm, the authors found that the amplitude difference was less than 0.1 db. The linearity of the signal was unaffected, whether R1 and R2 were paralleled. In other words using a single wire pair of half the resistance of a bi-wired pair.
I have no idea why the author talked about these things. People that I communicated to before, such as B&W, talked only about the difference in signal contents in the two pair of wires, not overall amplitude of the current.

Blinded listening tests were done using experience listeners also, and no difference could be detected between the standard and bi-wire configuration.

The conclusion was that bi-wiring conferred no benefit.
Again, you will get argument from me on this so I guess we are not in total disagreement. Our disagreement is on the theoretical (electrical) side.

So I think I'm entitled to call it bogus, and so you have to provide credible data and a mathematical basis for benefit.
Of course you are entitled to call it bogus, me too (I can almost agree with you on this). I am also entitled to be disappointed when you stated that it is the same as a long jumper .........thing. It is bogus in the SQ benefit claim but no electrically speaking, that's all I am saying. I had provided some theoretical explanations in the past, so has jneutron. There is no need for me to provide credible data. The theory is in most college/university electrical circuit theory text books. It is simple enough that a quantitative analysis with hard numbers serve no purpose. That being said, however basic the theories are involved in such analysis, it does go beyond the commonly cited Ohm's law, so either someone starts reading up on the basic principles of electricity, or he/she has to have a reasonably sound background in electrical circuit theory.

I can completely understand how so much hearsays manage to entrench on all sorts of forums. What I cannot understand is that people who are seemingly knowledgeable in this fields got stuck in those hearsays as well. All they need to do is to sit down and really do their only circuit analysis. You obviously knows how filters work, and presumably you know Ohms law, Superpostion theorem, Kirchoff's law and Thevenin's theorem among others, so you should be able to figure out that in the biwire configuration, one pair of wire will carry mostly high frequency signals and the other will carry mostly low frequency signals. In your so called long jumper scenario (assuming you are not removing the jumpers at the biwirable speaker terminals), the signals in the two pair of wires should be almost identical so it will in fact be almost the same as running one pair of thicker cable of the same total X-section area of the two pair of wires (long jumpers).

This topic has been dealt with to the nth degree, yet I still failed to resist responding this time mainly because I didn't think you were involved in those lengthy posts a couple of years ago. Regardless, if I can't change you mind now I never will, so I should let it go and move on.

Last edited:

Kitsum

Junior Audioholic
It's not so hard to understand that bi-wiring IS like using a longer jumper. It's like having 2 separate light bulbs plugged in to the same extension cord, instead of having two extension cords, one for each bulb, and both connected to the same outlet with a T adapter. What's the electrical difference?

B

B3Nut

Audioholic
>>so you should be able to figure out that in the biwire configuration, one pair of wire will carry mostly high frequency signals and the other will carry mostly low frequency signals.<<

Coming from the amplifier, each pair will be carrying the full-range signal. True, the filters will affect how much current is drawn through each pair since the tweeter filter won't present a load at lower frequencies and the woofer filter won't present a load at higher freqencies, but the other frequencies are still there. And since each pair represents a low-resistance path back to the common output terminals, the difference in practice between the electrical signals on the two wires is essentially nil. For all intents and purposes it still amounts to stretching the crossover jumpers out and connecting the amplifier to their midpoint. One may be able to grasp for straws as I have done in the little thought experiment above, but in the end it's still a silly waste of speaker wire. :)

Biwiring can confuse consumers too...my aunt has a pair of Linn speakers which have no jumpers and two pairs of banana jack inputs. For many years, the supplied biwire cables were run to her Rotel amplifier with the woofers of each speaker connected to the A and B left speaker outs, and the tweeters of each connected to the A and B right speaker outs. Last time I was at her house I noticed missing instruments and no stereo image, so I checked the speaker wiring...sure enough, the biwire cables were mis-connected. Once I fixed it it improved greatly...she noticed the change quite readily.

Todd in Cheesecurdistan

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Coming from the amplifier, each pair will be carrying the full-range signal. True, the filters will affect how much current is drawn through each pair since the tweeter filter won't present a load at lower frequencies and the woofer filter won't present a load at higher freqencies, but the other frequencies are still there. And since each pair represents a low-resistance path back to the common output terminals, the difference in practice between the electrical signals on the two wires is essentially nil. For all intents and purposes it still amounts to stretching the crossover jumpers out and connecting the amplifier to their midpoint. One may be able to grasp for straws as I have done in the little thought experiment above, but in the end it's still a silly waste of speaker wire. :)
Hello B3, you would be right if you think of it like fluid flow in two pipes joined at one end while separated and connected with filters at the other ends. However, electricity flow in a filter circuit is not exactly like fluid flow in a pipe and filter. In true bi-wire, the X-over neworks are separated into HP and LP at the speaker end once you remove the factory installed jumpers there. With the jumpers removed, even though the two pairs are joined at the amp terminals, the pair that connects to the tweeter will, as I said, carry mostly HF signals. Of course it will pass some L.F because filters don't work like a brick wall, but it will pass mostly HF signals to the tweeter, definitely not full range. As I also said, this has been debated to the nth degree in the past so if you are interested I can PM you and this is my last response to false claims (I fully understand it is always good intention) of electrical theory.

Before I leave I would like to say this again, that I have never claimed biwiring makes any SQ improvements or audible differences. As an EE I am simply defending the proper interpretation of the electrical circuit in biwire configuration. 1) It is not like a set of long jumper extending the joint at the amp to the speakers that people cited time and again. 2) The two pairs of wire in true biwire (speaker jumpers removed), do not carry full frequency range signals, the HF pair carries mostly HF signals and the LF pair contains mostly LF signals depending on the characteristics of the crossover networks. 3) those lengthly articles (example:http://www.audioholics.com/education/cables/bi-wiring-from-amplifier-to-loudspeaker) in which the authors elaborated on maths and electrical formula, did try to prove the insignificant effect of biwire on SQ but I do not even need those proof as I happen to believe any such effects are not discernible by most people so I am in agreement with those articles such as the one I linked. To understand the 3 points I summarized here, you don't need much beyond Ohms's law, Kirchoff's law, and some basic understanding of complex numbers and how filters work. So please understand, I have no problem, and are in agreement with you and others, that biwiring makes no audible differences. On the other hand please realize from the pure electrical circuit theory standpoint there are differences. It is like we can all agree on the claim that most people cannot tell the difference in SQ between a well designed class AB amp and a class A amp. That does not mean the two different designs are the same, obviously they are not. Back to the biwire, if you compare the waveforms of the signals in the two pair of wire using a spectrum analyzer you will see that the waveforms will look different. If you put the speaker jumper back so the two pairs are no longer biwired but are just connected in parallel, the waveforms will be identical within practical limits.

Sorry about being long winded but I promised I will not be back here so if you care to discuss this topic further we can do so via PM. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis