Good speakers (5.1) and receiver(7.1) set for movies at a US$ 1000 budget?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
For his price point of >$1,000 including a new 7.1ch receiver, i just don't see how he can upgrade the sub yet.
Then I will look for a receiver - did you give up?:)

Also, people tend to find a way to stretch a little.

Last edited:
L

Legend

Audiophyte
The 1000 US$ budget is not really rigid. I just didn't want to get too far from it. Speakers budgets can get quite expensive, and if I don't set a target budgets, things can get ugly, lol.

This is what I'm thinking of getting so far:

- 2 pairs of the improved pioneer bookshelves - 300 US$;
- 1 improved center pioneer speaker - 90 US$;
- 200-300 US$ sub. That one I need more advising, hehehe.

So the speakers budget is 590-690 US$ so far. The receiver would be around 500 US$, so that gives me a 1090-1190 US$ total budget. That's something I can afford.

I could always get a refurbished/used receiver, but I really don't want to go down that road. I have a Denon 1610 that the HDMI card died on me, and I have no reasonable way of fixing it (more expensive than buying a new one). So I need a reliable receiver, that I'm confident something like that should not happen again. That's why I took Onkyo out of my list, since I've read some reviews that states that those receivers have quite a high number of defectives units.

If there's a manufacturer that offers an international warranty that covers Brazil (something I really doubt there is), I'd be more than happy to buy it. Otherwise, I have a feeling that getting a refurbished/used receiver there's more chance that I end up with a faulty receiver again.

Last edited:
L

Legend

Audiophyte
5.1 is enough for the HT, but I'd like a second zone feature to have a stereo sound on the room next to the HT (nothing too loud, just ambient music).

Voltage in Brazil depends on where you live, some cities have both (110v and 220v)! My house will have both also, but mainly 110v (220v will be only in specific places/appliances).

Between the Yamaha and pioneer receivers, which are better quality/more reliable?

M

marksas

Audioholic Intern
The 1000 US$ budget is not really rigid. I just didn't want to get too far from it. Speakers budgets can get quite expensive, and if I don't set a target budgets, things can get ugly, lol.

This is what I'm thinking of getting so far:

- 2 pairs of the improved pioneer bookshelves - 300 US$;
- 1 improved center pioneer speaker - 90 US$;
- 200-300 US$ sub. That one I need more advising, hehehe.

So the speakers budget is 590-690 US$ so far. The receiver would be around 500 US$, so that gives me a 1090-1190 US$ total budget. That's something I can afford.

I could always get a refurbished/used receiver, but I really don't want to go down that road. I have a Denon 1610 that the HDMI card died on me, and I have no reasonable way of fixing it (more expensive than buying a new one). So I need a reliable receiver, that I'm confident something like that should not happen again. That's why I took Onkyo out of my list, since I've read some reviews that states that those receivers have quite a high number of defectives units.

If there's a manufacturer that offers an international warranty that covers Brazil (something I really doubt there is), I'd be more than happy to buy it. Otherwise, I have a feeling that getting a refurbished/used receiver there's more chance that I end up with a faulty receiver again.
I wouldn't too much about the refurbished receivers, especially from Accessories4less, all the AVR's come with the 1 year manufactures warranty and they offer "New Leaf" extended service contracts for really cheap that have worldwide coverage, they explain the terms and conditions on the New Leaf website.

As for Yamaha vs Pioneer, all i can say is that i've been told that the Yamaha's are very reliable. That RX-V575 would be great for your setup, more than sufficient actually.

$200-$300 for a good sub is not that easy. But here's a few suggestions:

HSU Research makes great subs, here's 3 from them, the first is a little under sized i think, the second may be just right, and the last is above your budget but its a beast for sure.
[h=2]- STF-1 - http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/stf-1.html[/h][h=2]- STF-2 - http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/stf-2.html[/h][h=2]- VTF-1 MK2 - http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-1mk2.html[/h]http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57551102-47/shaken-stirred-the-hsu-vtf-1-mk2-subwoofer/

Velodyne - synonymous with subwoofers, i actually own one of these and i think it's very good -
Amazon.com: Velodyne Impact-10 10-Inch Powered Subwoofer (Black): Electronics
Velodyne Impact-10 Subwoofer Review | Audioholics

Outlaw Audio M8
Outlaw M8: Easily the best budget subwoofer? | The Audiophiliac - CNET News
M8 Powered Subwoofer

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis