Good earbuds to work out with

G

Galahad

Audiophyte
Alright so I just dished out $170 for a pair of Sennheiser HD595. I'm sort of a wanna-be audiphile I guess in that I'm obsessed with ultra high quality sound but as a poor college student I don't have the money to back that obsession up ;). I've heard great things about this pair though for that price range (I simply can't afford the $500-600 and up range)

But... I still need a pair of earbud style headphones to work out with, I can't take something bulky with me to the gym. I'll be using them with my Creative Zen mp3 player.

Something not TOO expensive would be nice, I already dished out for the HD595... it just needs to be pretty good, not amazing, but decent enough for the gym. The $10 earbuds I got at walmart are atrocious.

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
I use Shure E2c's for my workouts, mowing the lawn, etc. I really like them. They have interchangable pads, plastic or foam, so you can get the fit that's right for you. My wife uses a set for running as well.

Pat

jnmfox

jnmfox

Audioholic
I purchased a pair of Creative EP-630's for cheap off of eBay (just look-out for knockoffs). They are an improvement over the Sony EX-71's I previously had, obviously not audiophile quality but for the price I have nothing to complain about. I have also heard great things about the previously mentioned Shures as well as their SE line of earphones. I have been considering the SE's because of the foam tips which I have read are typically more comfortable and provide better isolation.

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
Sony MDR-Q22LP clip-ons are cheap, comfortable, sturdy, small, and sound pretty good for the price (<$20). Far better than any cheap earbuds. They fit quite securely, too. They're my choice for tiny portable 'phones that I don't want to worry about.

Matt34

Matt34

I use Shure E2c's for my workouts, mowing the lawn, etc. I really like them. They have interchangable pads, plastic or foam, so you can get the fit that's right for you. My wife uses a set for running as well.

Pat
Ditto on the E2c's. I've been using mine for workouts going on two years now. I use the plastic pads and just washing them in warm soapy water every once in awhile.

My wife uses the JVC "marshmellows".

Last edited:
patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
Ditto on the E2c's. I've been using mine when I go workout going on two years now. I use the plastic pads and just washing them in warm soapy water every once in awhile.

My wife uses the JVC "marshmellows".
I got the JVC's for my wife first, then I found another pair of 2C's for $50 so I got them for her. WAAAAY better, but for $10-15 the JVC's are fine.

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
Check out my review on the $25 vModa ear buds. Wont brake the bank and are much better then the cheap ones that come with your iPod.
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41188&highlight=vModa
These look pretty cool. I'd say that if you want to be able to hear what's going on around you (ie: biking, running in the road, or anything else dangerous if you can't hear) get these istead of the Shure's. With the in ear Shures, you can't hear anything else but the music. Probably dangerous in traffic.

Pat

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I HATE the E2C's. I have them, also bought them for the gym and they're just awful IMO. They're the only sound reproducing speaker/headphone that has the ability to be overbearing/harsh and smeared/muddy all at the same time. I also think they're not the best when it comes to staying in place. The cord for them is quite ridiculous (goes over your ear, then down). It's down right annoying.

A couple I would suggest before you throw down the cash on Shure's are...

1.) Koss KSC75. Super cheap, super clean, and they clip on so they won't budge. I compared these with my E2Cs and they were much nicer to listen too. They're a bit bass shy though.

Linky Poo:
http://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf/p?OpenForm&pc^sc^KSC75

2.) Altec-Lansing In-motion IM716. Basically an Etymotic Research headphone re-badged. Sound great, also compared them with my Shure E2Cs and I preferred these.

Linky poo:
http://www.alteclansing.com/index.php?file=north_product_detail&iproduct_id=86

SheepStar

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
I use a pair of Etymotic ER6i and they stay in place pretty good.

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
I

1.) Koss KSC75. Super cheap, super clean, and they clip on so they won't budge. I compared these with my E2Cs and they were much nicer to listen too. They're a bit bass shy though.

Linky Poo:
http://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf/p?OpenForm&pc^sc^KSC75
These, without a doubt, are very nice sounding for their ultra-cheap price range. They're not super-secure fitting in my experience, although you can bend them a bit for a snugger fit. They seem a big flimsy for portables, if you tend to cram them into pockets and the like, like I do. My pair started cutting out on me in one ear.

Which is why I went back to using the sony clip ons I mention above. Tolerable sound, but they last forever even with abuse.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
These, without a doubt, are very nice sounding for their ultra-cheap price range. They're not super-secure fitting in my experience, although you can bend them a bit for a snugger fit. They seem a big flimsy for portables, if you tend to cram them into pockets and the like, like I do. My pair started cutting out on me in one ear.

Which is why I went back to using the sony clip ons I mention above. Tolerable sound, but they last forever even with abuse.
I guess you never read the part about a lifetime warranty?

SheepStar

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
I guess you never read the part about a lifetime warranty?

SheepStar
I did, actually, but they're a cheap pair of portables: I don't want to bother sending them away and replacing them; they only lasted about 3 months for me! The Sonys are pretty indestructible and do their job.

Matt34

Matt34

I did, actually, but they're a cheap pair of portables: I don't want to bother sending them away and replacing them; they only lasted about 3 months for me! The Sonys are pretty indestructible and do their job.
The KSC75 were alright but I didn't like the way they sat on my ear and I broke one of the ear clips within two weeks of buying them.

I like the Shures because: 1/ They're durable 2/ Easy to clean 3/ noise isolation, blocks out all the "gym grunters" and the weezing fat lady next to me on the treadmill.

canIscream

canIscream

Enthusiast
I have a set of Bose Triport 1E's that I use for general use and I'm pleased with them. However, I received them at a Bose vendor show and I'm not sure I'd pay $100 for them. I'd also try the Shure earbuds if you could before making a purchase as I've heard nothing but good things said about them.

EDIT: first post! hey guys!

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
I like the Shures because: 1/ They're durable 2/ Easy to clean 3/ noise isolation, blocks out all the "gym grunters" and the weezing fat lady next to me on the treadmill.
Ditto.

Pat

M

mbutler

Audiophyte
I use yurbuds when I run or work out. Theyre really comfortable and they never fall out so I recommend them.
yurbuds.com

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis