D

daniel789

Audiophyte
Does anyone own them, or given them an audition? Looking for some real world impressions of these babies.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
No, but I've own DefTech speakers in the past (BP7000, BP7001, BP10B, SM450, CLR3000).

These GoldenEar speakers were designed by the same Sandy Goss that designed those DefTech speakers.

So I think if you like the sound of Def Tech (especially the Mythos speakers since the Triton is also a direct-radiating type), you will like the sound of the Triton.

D

daniel789

Audiophyte
Wow man. Thanks for the fast followup. I want to replace my 15 year old Boston towers. I read that the Goldenears are really efficient, probably like Deftechs, since the subs are powered. i havent heard them either tho. will be running them with an onkyo 805, and I wouldnt rule out adding a separate amp eventually. It only takes money! St Louis doesnt have a lot that I have found outside of B&W and Klipsch. You know, the usual suspects. When i finally do hear the tritons Ill let you know. Ps, i do like the B&W sound however. I heard some Nautilus towers running thru a Mcintosh tube amp. really blew me away. Thanks again.

Matt34

Matt34

No, but I've own DefTech speakers in the past (BP7000, BP7001, BP10B, SM450, CLR3000).

These GoldenEar speakers were designed by the same Sandy Goss that designed those DefTech speakers.

So I think if you like the sound of Def Tech (especially the Mythos speakers since the Triton is also a direct-radiating type), you will like the sound of the Triton.
Wow man. Thanks for the fast followup. I want to replace my 15 year old Boston towers. I read that the Goldenears are really efficient, probably like Deftechs, since the subs are powered. i havent heard them either tho. will be running them with an onkyo 805, and I wouldnt rule out adding a separate amp eventually. It only takes money! St Louis doesnt have a lot that I have found outside of B&W and Klipsch. You know, the usual suspects. When i finally do hear the tritons Ill let you know. Ps, i do like the B&W sound however. I heard some Nautilus towers running thru a Mcintosh tube amp. really blew me away. Thanks again.
They probably sound quite a bit different from the Def Techs I would assume since they use a folded ribbon tweeter.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
They probably sound quite a bit different from the Def Techs I would assume since they use a folded ribbon tweeter.
Regardless of speaker driver type and technology, if they measure the same (on-axis/off-axis frequency response 20Hz-20kHz), I bet they will sound very similar.

Accurate speakers will sound accurate, and inaccurate speakers will sound inaccurate.

When comparing any 2 speakers, assuming both speakers are accurate, the room is not made of glass or metal and has furniture, curtains, etc., and the speaker placement is appropriate (> 12" away from the walls, etc.), the biggest difference will be the lower frequency bass production.

J

Jason626

Enthusiast
I went to goldenear's website and checked dealer locator. It says there's a dealer in St. louis. Whether or not the have some instore I don't know. :p

The Speaker and Stereo Store

St. Louis, MO 63132 phone: 314-692-2230

NOTE: This Dealer operates by appointment only so please call ahead to schedule.

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
Regardless of speaker driver type and technology, if they measure the same (on-axis/off-axis frequency response 20Hz-20kHz), I bet they will sound very similar.

Accurate speakers will sound accurate, and inaccurate speakers will sound inaccurate.

When comparing any 2 speakers, assuming both speakers are accurate, the room is not made of glass or metal and has furniture, curtains, etc., and the speaker placement is appropriate (> 12" away from the walls, etc.), the biggest difference will be the lower frequency bass production.
12" Away from the wall?? I looked at your photo bucket on pic's. Nice looking system. I have never listened to these speakers so I can't add anything. Other then most front firing 3 way speakers sound best when "Towed In" the corners of a room 12 to 15' apart. I have tried moving my Pop's old Klipsch Cornwalls in many different positions. And they look better the way to have your wall. I have them turned in the corners so about 10' away center of the sofa is like head phones on.:)

D

daniel789

Audiophyte
Thanks for all the feedback guys. Much appreciated.

M

mlail

Audioholic Intern
We just auditioned these speakers yesterday. After playing around with the sub woofers settings we loved them. The one question that I have posted in another thread was around the side facing radiators. Will the showroom has no obstructions most homes do and my home has a large entertainment unit that would effectively block those side radiators.

Some advice I was given was to ask the store about a 30 day return policy. This was if the rooms acoustics does not work for you, you can return the speakers and look some more. Also keep in mind that the showrooms have glass, curtains, and acoustic panels that shape the rooms sound. Those speakers you auditioned will not sound the same in your home. So the more I think about it, the more important a return policy is to the buyer.

The Triton II's are front ported and that allows us to move the speakers closer to the wall. However, if possible, you have to consider moving the speakers around some for optimum sound. I noticed that the towers produced noticeably less sound when you moved outside of the zone. In my case I moved to the left of the left speakers axis (left of the front of the speaker). For me this meant that the rest of the room outside of the sound stage would hear sound but at a reduced quality and levels. This can be a good thing if you want to focus the sound between the speakers.

Good luck,
Marshall

D

daniel789

Audiophyte
thanks again friends for all the help--how about this, my room is 14x14, hardwood with furniture of course, and i will be using an onkyo 805. can u guys give me some speaker recommendations. i am afraid the tritons are too much for my listening room. ps i like the bowers and wilkins vibe. forward sounding with good mid range with a neutral high. our local store have that and klipsch. the klipsch sounded too shrill for my tastes. any help would be appreciated. i want to hear mordaunt mezzo and monitor audio rx6 based on all ive read. of course no where to audition them.

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
thanks again friends for all the help--how about this, my room is 14x14, hardwood with furniture of course, and i will be using an onkyo 805. can u guys give me some speaker recommendations. i am afraid the tritons are too much for my listening room. ps i like the bowers and wilkins vibe. forward sounding with good mid range with a neutral high. our local store have that and klipsch. the klipsch sounded too shrill for my tastes. any help would be appreciated. i want to hear mordaunt mezzo and monitor audio rx6 based on all ive read. of course no where to audition them.
The shrill can be tuned out with the Eq. ;)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Goldenears

I've had a pair of tritons and a 50c for about 6 weeks now, and they definitely live up to all the hype. I'm pushing them (for now) with a pioneer elite vsx-82txs and they sound great. Yes, having them near objects does degrade some of the sound quality, but I think this is the case for pretty much all towers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis