Goldenear Triton Reference Series Tower Speaker Preview

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I bought those DT's before I bought all those other gears.

And those DT's were bipolar, which meant if you didn't have them set up just right, they sounded terrible. :D

Have you ever read any of the magazine reviews of those DT speakers? They pretty much said that these speakers were the best value. One review said the DT BP7000SC sounded as good as $50,000 speakers. :D
I guess bipolar and their setup may in fact have something to do with my bad experience with them. Around the same time I also auditioned some Mirage bipolars and quite like them though I also found them not as transparent as the Energy Veritas that I ended up with. I did read those rave reviews about them speakers but that must had been at least a year or two later. I typically ignore the subjective part of most reviews anyway.

By the way, I know you favor bass quality more than anything else. For transparency and accuracy referenced to unamplified live, of all the relatively high end speaker you have every owned, which one would you put on top? I don't want to assume RBH is the one by default.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
8500 with about 25% off from a dealer is not that bad @6400. At that price I would consider them, but to be honest I am completely happy with my T1s.

Everyone is so quick to judge without actually listening to them. I will withhold judgement until then. I am going to AXPONA tomorrow and GE will be there with a lot of others, it's a great time to audition and make an educated decision

When I went with my T1s, I compared against RBH 8300sx/Revel 208s and to me they sounded best. Looking forward to tomorrow when I can demo a lot more brands

As for suggesting 6k price point, that would be way to close to the T1s and given the fact it is a complete redesign, doesn't make a lot of sense.
Didn't you own some Digm Signature speakers before and thought they were great? How do you rank the GEs against the Sigs? Please feel free to ignore my question if I remember wrong about what you had before.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Didn't you own some Digm Signature speakers before and thought they were great? How do you rank the GEs against the Sigs? Please feel free to ignore my question if I remember wrong about what you had before.
I owned the Studio Series, but compared them against the Sigs. I really enjoyed the sigs, but I prefer the HVFR Tweeter even to their Beryllium domes.

I will say I just got back from AXPONA, and by far, and I do mean far, my two favorite speakers were the Paradigm Persona 9H, they were simply amazing. The Kef Blades were really excellent as well. The persona speakers are 34k LIst for the pair, so out of my budget range and I am sure there are a lot of other good options at that price range.

I was also surprised that the Salk Exotica, which I really liked last year, weren't as impressive this year, not sure if was the room setup, or source material.

Sadly no GE Reference were at the show, only the T1s and I know what those sound like ;)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I owned the Studio Series, but compared them against the Sigs. I really enjoyed the sigs, but I prefer the HVFR Tweeter even to their Beryllium domes.

I will say I just got back from AXPONA, and by far, and I do mean far, my two favorite speakers were the Paradigm Persona 9H, they were simply amazing. The Kef Blades were really excellent as well. The persona speakers are 34k LIst for the pair, so out of my budget range and I am sure there are a lot of other good options at that price range.

I was also surprised that the Salk Exotica, which I really liked last year, weren't as impressive this year, not sure if was the room setup, or source material.

Sadly no GE Reference were at the show, only the T1s and I know what those sound like ;)
I haven't seen any recent Paradigm speakers that did well on the bench since the Signatures. The graphs of the Prestige 95F looked terrible.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/paradigm-prestige-95f-loudspeaker-measurements#KCfCI7MFe55ACtLB.97

Hopefully the Persona will do well.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I haven't seen any recent Paradigm speakers that did well on the bench since the Signatures. The graphs of the Prestige 95F looked terrible.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/paradigm-prestige-95f-loudspeaker-measurements#KCfCI7MFe55ACtLB.97

Hopefully the Persona will do well.
I am not a fan of the 95F either, but the Persona Line (specifically the 9F) have been getting stellar reviews. I know The Absolute Sound did a review, but it's not on their website yet.

I was not as impressed with their small bookshelf: The Persona B (7500 Pair) were a little disappointing, it sounded harsh and a little bright to me, again it could be the source material of the record.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
By the way, I know you favor bass quality more than anything else. For transparency and accuracy referenced to unamplified live, of all the relatively high end speaker you have every owned, which one would you put on top? I don't want to assume RBH is the one by default.
No, I favor crystal clear sound quality and transparency above EVERYTHING else.

Crystal Clear sound is salient, not bass quality or quantity.

And having a crystal clear picture quality is more important than having beautiful vibrant colors.

But when I already have crystal clear sound with many speakers, the NEXT important thing is the Bass.

I do believe that certain songs will shine better with certain speakers. And some setups are better than others even when you have the same speakers. It's never one size fit fall.

But with the songs I listen to and used to audition, the RBH T2 probably had the most crystal clear sound and unequivocally the best bass in the SYSTEM and SETUP that was used.

So the answer to your question is the RBH T2.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
No, I favor crystal clear sound quality and transparency above EVERYTHING else.

Crystal Clear sound is salient, not bass quality or quantity.

And having a crystal clear picture quality is more important than having beautiful vibrant colors.

But when I already have crystal clear sound with many speakers, the NEXT important thing is the Bass.

I do believe that certain songs will shine better with certain speakers. And some setups are better than others even when you have the same speakers. It's never one size fit fall.

But with the songs I listen to and used to audition, the RBH T2 probably had the most crystal clear sound and unequivocally the best bass in the SYSTEM and SETUP that was used.

So the answer to your question is the RBH T2.
Glad to know you can now focus on getting the best quality recordings you can acquire. To me that is probably the real weak link for most people who own a $10,000 to $15,000 and above 2 channel system that comprises the preamp/amp or integrated amp, media player, DAC, a pair of speakers and one or two subs.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Glad to know you can now focus on getting the best quality recordings you can acquire. To me that is probably the real weak link for most people who own a $10,000 to $15,000 and above 2 channel system that comprises the preamp/amp or integrated amp, media player, DAC, a pair of speakers and one or two subs.
I would even lower that price range to $5K. But with human bias, the higher the MSRP, the better. :)

Ever since I got my RBH system, the only thing I am looking for is better music and videos, not a way to enhance the sound quality. :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I would even lower that price range to $5K. But with human bias, the higher the MSRP, the better. :)

Ever since I got my RBH system, the only thing I am looking for is better music and videos, not a way to enhance the sound quality. :D
I was going to say $5K too, but then I thought about the sub(s). You either spend a great deal more on full range towers or a little less on the sub option. Even just one good sub could cost $1K, more likely $2K factoring in taxes and shipping. So ignoring the human bias, what $5K system can you come up with to render quality of recordings go to the top on the priority list for sound quality, assuming a medium size room such as 12X18X9 ft?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I was going to say $5K too, but then I thought about the sub(s). You either spend a great deal more on full range towers or a little less on the sub option. Even just one good sub could cost $1K, more likely $2K factoring in taxes and shipping. So ignoring the human bias, what $5K system can you come up with to render quality of recordings go to the top on the priority list for sound quality, assuming a medium size room such as 12X18X9 ft?
In terms of midrange and treble, there are too many speakers that would qualify, especially in the the 5K range - RBH, KEF, Revel, Salk, Philharmonic, Ascend, Focal, Monitor Audio, NHT, Dynaudio, Funk Audio, Soundfield Audio, B&W, and probably many more.

I've only heard Paradigm and PSB at the stores, so I can't be sure. For example, I thought B&W 802D didn't sound as great at the dealer, but the B&W sounded great in my house. So the PSB and Paradigm could also sound great in my house.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
In terms of midrange and treble, there are too many speakers that would qualify, especially in the the 5K range - RBH, KEF, Revel, Salk, Philharmonic, Ascend, Focal, Monitor Audio, NHT, Dynaudio, Funk Audio, Soundfield Audio, B&W, and probably many more.

I've only heard Paradigm and PSB at the stores, so I can't be sure. For example, I thought B&W 802D didn't sound as great at the dealer, but the B&W sounded great in my house. So the PSB and Paradigm could also sound great in my house.
Okay so you are talking about speaker system only price but I am talking about total system (2 channel) price that include the preamp, amp, or integrated amp, a media player and perhaps a separate DAC too.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Okay so you are talking about speaker system only price but I am talking about total system (2 channel) price that include the preamp, amp, or integrated amp, a media player and perhaps a separate DAC too.
Yeah, I was just talking 2 speakers only - front L/R.

If you add electronics and possibly subs, then the ENTIRE SYSTEM would probably be $7,500 - $10,000.

mannye

mannye

Audioholic Intern
I'm seeing a lot of "hating" (hate is too strong, but it's what the kids say these days) of DT on this thread and in the audiophile world in general, perhaps because they did a "Bose" amount of advertising. And also perhaps because I'm a fan of the 1990's DefTech. Which I believe was also a brainchild of Mr. Gross. The design of the current GE speakers looks a heck of a lot like the old DefTech BP series and in fact kind of is what I would imagine the speakers would have evolved into.

When i auditioned the BP 2002 speakers I ended up buying they were up against B&W, (too shrill for me), Magnepan, (side by side I preferred the DT) Klipsh (even more shrill) and I think Revel or some other ridiculously high priced 5 figure speaker that I DID prefer... but one speaker cost twice what the entire 5 speaker DefTEch setup cost. And they were just slightly better than the DefTechs.

All this auditioning was done one afternoon at Sound Components in Miami and adjustments were made to ensure, as much as possible, that each speaker had a fighting chance to shine with correct placement.

It should be noted that with the exception of the crazy expensive mega-speakers, my recollection of the sound of ALL the speakers I heard was that they were all exceptional and it was the signature of the sound that made the difference for me. What is shrill to me might be "detailed" to someone else.

They all did everything good speakers are supposed to do well. But without proper positioning, they would all sound like garbage.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I'm seeing a lot of "hating" (hate is too strong, but it's what the kids say these days) of DT on this thread and in the audiophile world in general, perhaps because they did a "Bose" amount of advertising. And also perhaps because I'm a fan of the 1990's DefTech. Which I believe was also a brainchild of Mr. Gross. The design of the current GE speakers looks a heck of a lot like the old DefTech BP series and in fact kind of is what I would imagine the speakers would have evolved into.

When i auditioned the BP 2002 speakers I ended up buying they were up against B&W, (too shrill for me), Magnepan, (side by side I preferred the DT) Klipsh (even more shrill) and I think Revel or some other ridiculously high priced 5 figure speaker that I DID prefer... but one speaker cost twice what the entire 5 speaker DefTEch setup cost. And they were just slightly better than the DefTechs.

All this auditioning was done one afternoon at Sound Components in Miami and adjustments were made to ensure, as much as possible, that each speaker had a fighting chance to shine with correct placement.

It should be noted that with the exception of the crazy expensive mega-speakers, my recollection of the sound of ALL the speakers I heard was that they were all exceptional and it was the signature of the sound that made the difference for me. What is shrill to me might be "detailed" to someone else.

They all did everything good speakers are supposed to do well. But without proper positioning, they would all sound like garbage.
The biggest problem with DT is that their published first party specs/frequency response numbers are 100% bogus!

Many of the big box brands do this. That doesn't make it right nor appreciated.

mannye

mannye

Audioholic Intern
The biggest problem with DT is that their published first party specs/frequency response numbers are 100% bogus!

Many of the big box brands do this. That doesn't make it right nor appreciated.
I did not know that. Is this a recent practice or has it always been so?

I rarely look at specs for anything audio beyond power ratings and then only to make sure I don't blast a VC across the room. Otherwise I don't care. Especially speakers. I use my ears only. I'll tell ya, it's saved my a lot of money over the years (but I'll admit, it's probably made me spend more as well).

As a fan of both tubes and solid state, specs just get in the way of having a good time. IMO of course. :)

I know a lot of people take specs seriously and use them in part to make purchasing decisions, and I'm not knocking that. Further, deceptive specs are just annoying and if they are lying about that, where else are they cutting corners?

All I can say is that the ones I have are bulletproof, built like tanks, and deliver a great non-fatiguing sound paired up with the Outlaw 750 5 channel amp. Before the Outlaw/B&K combo, the Pioneer VSX-D906S AVR made me think I had made a terrible mistake and they were as bright and shouty as the Klipsh or B&W but thankfully it turned out to be a Pioneer thing and not a DefTech thing.

Maybe the modern DT is a bunch of Ed Hardy clad douchebags that came over from Bose? I don't know. I'll never need another set of HT speakers. These are still doing fine.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I did not know that. Is this a recent practice or has it always been so?

I rarely look at specs for anything audio beyond power ratings and then only to make sure I don't blast a VC across the room. Otherwise I don't care. Especially speakers. I use my ears only. I'll tell ya, it's saved my a lot of money over the years (but I'll admit, it's probably made me spend more as well).

As a fan of both tubes and solid state, specs just get in the way of having a good time. IMO of course. :)

I know a lot of people take specs seriously and use them in part to make purchasing decisions, and I'm not knocking that. Further, deceptive specs are just annoying and if they are lying about that, where else are they cutting corners?

All I can say is that the ones I have are bulletproof, built like tanks, and deliver a great non-fatiguing sound paired up with the Outlaw 750 5 channel amp. Before the Outlaw/B&K combo, the Pioneer VSX-D906S AVR made me think I had made a terrible mistake and they were as bright and shouty as the Klipsh or B&W but thankfully it turned out to be a Pioneer thing and not a DefTech thing.

Maybe the modern DT is a bunch of Ed Hardy clad douchebags that came over from Bose? I don't know. I'll never need another set of HT speakers. These are still doing fine.
Nah, DT has always been like that, same for GE.

BTW, I'm not biased, my main speakers are GE T2. Fine speakers, but the specs that Sandy publishes are sketchy!

I think @AcuDefTechGuy even tried to engage Sandy with these types of questions???

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Nah, DT has always been like that, same for GE.

BTW, I'm not biased, my main speakers are GE T2. Fine speakers, but the specs that Sandy publishes are sketchy!

I think @AcuDefTechGuy even tried to engage Sandy with these types of questions???
Yeah, I did ask him about the specs and I think he just ignored my question. :D

But D-T & G-E aren't the only ones who seem to fudge their specs. B&W does the same thing. At one point I compared the specs of many speakers to actual speaker measurements and found that many companies fudge their specs.

This doesn't seem to hurt their sales. It probably increases sales since most consumers aren't Audioholics. Most consumers who buy these speakers don't even know what a Frequency Response is. They see these greatly inflated specs and assume it's true. After all, why would big companies like B&W, Def Tech, and Golden Ear lie? :D

I used to own bipolar DT speakers. If set up correctly, I think they do sound great. But after I joined Audioholics, the lying specs bothered me, and I just had to sell all my DT. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis