Going Dual, add another sealed or replace with dual ported subs?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
5.4.4 wow you're ambitious! Best I can do is 5.2.4 :) Glad to hear the RSL's are still a great choice. That will be my pre-summer heat project to get into the attic to make those a reality!
Actually mine is 7.3.4. I was just saying that 5.x.4 is better than 5.x.2., or even 7.x.2. I’m lucky in that I have plenty of room behind me to accommodate rear surrounds, and rear tops. Ambitious, but worth it. To me anyway. My wife thinks I’m mental! But it’s reciprocal. lol

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
If it wasn't so expensive to ship them (sounds like a few hundred each way) I'd offer mine to be measured by ASR. Not sure how well Amir is received here but I do appreciate the objective measurements!
Don't forget Erin's Audio Corner, too....ASR may not be a favorite of some here, but hard to argue with the measurements.
I was just typing that. He deals in real measurements to follow up his listening test. Erin's Audio Corner

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
If it wasn't so expensive to ship them (sounds like a few hundred each way) I'd offer mine to be measured by ASR. Not sure how well Amir is received here but I do appreciate the objective measurements!
I do not believe Amir would test a subwoofer. They require outside ground plane measurements for CEA-2010 comparison numbers. But, as per above, Erin does them. BTW, the last reviewer to review a PSA subwoofer was Shane Lee. While the overall review was positive he did mention just one problem, and for that, he was thoroughly criticized by zealous owners.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I do not believe Amir would test a subwoofer. They require outside ground plane measurements for CEA-2010 comparison numbers. But, as per above, Erin does them. BTW, the last reviewer to review a PSA subwoofer was Shane Lee. While the overall review was positive he did mention just one problem, and for that, he was thoroughly criticized by zealous owners.
He will but doubt many are sending one to him otoh https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/rythmik-l12-subwoofer-review.12140/

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Forgot to mention from looking at your room I have decided you do not have toddler children or grandchildren.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
I checked last night and as far as I can tell Amir has only reviewed 5 Subs total.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
I checked last night and as far as I can tell Amir has only reviewed 5 Subs total.
Like James says the CEA 2010 numbers really have to be from the same reviewer/method style to get an accurate comparison. Amir uses his Klippel not ground plane—so even more reason to send to audioholics.

justex07

justex07

Enthusiast
Forgot to mention from looking at your room I have decided you do not have toddler children or grandchildren.
Haha nope. Just two dudes with two cats and a bunch of (outdoor) chickens.

justex07

justex07

Enthusiast
Like James says the CEA 2010 numbers really have to be from the same reviewer/method style to get an accurate comparison. Amir uses his Klippel not ground plane—so even more reason to send to audioholics.
I’ll be sure to keep my boxes in case that comes up, assuming they pay the shipping haha.

I also wanted to close the loop here. Thanks everyone for your help. I chose the dual PSA EV18F-M path and made my order last night after several emails with Tim and great feedback here.

I can’t wait to get the shipping confirmation so I can start my countdown! I’ll be sure to share first impressions once they arrive.

Thanks again.

justex07

justex07

Enthusiast
I emailed Audioholics after your post but never heard back. Just fwiw.

justex07

justex07

Enthusiast
Thanks everyone! The beasts have arrived! Dual PSA EV18F-M subs plus four RSL C34E MKII for Dolby Atmos heights.

To install the RSL ceiling speakers we’re gonna have to climb through the attic and run wires. I welcome any tips for installing speakers like these.

But the two PSA EV18F-M subs were put into place yesterday. After calibration with ARC Genesis we’ve got them tuned into the room and holy crap. This is bass like I’ve only ever experienced at a nice theater.

The fact that the gain is at around 20% in our room, good lord what would happen if I turned that up?! The most impressive part to me is how great they sound with music, even at low volumes. Just effortless and graceful bass. It do eat stick out but boy does it hit low!

Comparing both or even one to the previous sub for this room, an SVS SB 13 Ultra is so unfair. The price to performance ratio here is out of this world.

Attached is a photo of one of them with the SVS on top. Isn’t it cute with its entire cabinet about the width of the PSA driver?
IMG_5406.jpeg

Matt34

Matt34

Thanks everyone! The beasts have arrived! Dual PSA EV18F-M subs plus four RSL C34E MKII for Dolby Atmos heights.

To install the RSL ceiling speakers we’re gonna have to climb through the attic and run wires. I welcome any tips for installing speakers like these.

But the two PSA EV18F-M subs were put into place yesterday. After calibration with ARC Genesis we’ve got them tuned into the room and holy crap. This is bass like I’ve only ever experienced at a nice theater.

The fact that the gain is at around 20% in our room, good lord what would happen if I turned that up?! The most impressive part to me is how great they sound with music, even at low volumes. Just effortless and graceful bass. It do eat stick out but boy does it hit low!

Comparing both or even one to the previous sub for this room, an SVS SB 13 Ultra is so unfair. The price to performance ratio here is out of this world.

Attached is a photo of one of them with the SVS on top. Isn’t it cute with its entire cabinet about the width of the PSA driver?
View attachment 66460
Congrats, they are pretty awesome! Mess around with the room size compensation until you find the sweet spot. I ended up between 1/2 and 3/4.

I can't imagine how heavy those are with the ferrite driver. I had the B&C and it's around 25lbs lighter I believe.

justex07

justex07

Enthusiast
Congrats, they are pretty awesome! Mess around with the room size compensation until you find the sweet spot. I ended up between 1/2 and 3/4.

I can't imagine how heavy those are with the ferrite driver. I had the B&C and it's around 25lbs lighter I believe.
I wish there was an illustration that showed how the room size adjustments worked. Has that been well documented/explained anywhere? I think both are set to around the same as you. I’ll continue to tweak!

Yes, the ferrite drivers are heavy! But at 125 lbs each, I was able to easily place them in the room, though carrying them into the house required a helping hand.

I was so tempted to go with the B&C drivers but Tom kind of talked me out of it. Similar to same performance for less money but heavier. The weight isn’t an issue for me and the money saved was enough to add the 4 RSL speaker for heights so I consider it a fair trade off. :cool:

Matt34

Matt34

I wish there was an illustration that showed how the room size adjustments worked. Has that been well documented/explained anywhere? I think both are set to around the same as you. I’ll continue to tweak!
From my understanding it just a dsp boost of the lower end of the frequency range of the sub. I found going more than 3/4 caused it to sound a little muddy (I was getting good room gain to begin with).

The good thing is you can play with if after calibration so it won't mess up Audyessy/Dirac.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

Yes, the ferrite drivers are heavy! But at 125 lbs each, I was able to easily place them in the room, though carrying them into the house required a helping hand.

I was so tempted to go with the B&C drivers but Tom kind of talked me out of it. Similar to same performance for less money but heavier. The weight isn’t an issue for me and the money saved was enough to add the 4 RSL speaker for heights so I consider it a fair trade off. :cool:
So I could find a couple things on a quick search. Here’s what the graph looks like.

Here’s Tom’s answer to someone. Hope this sorts it out.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis