Go New or Refurbished

CDogg

CDogg

Junior Audioholic
I am in the market for a network receiver within one year. I should've listened to some of you who were helping me last year. The system was purchased from Crutchfield, and I like that you get lifetime technical support for as long as you continue to own whatever you bought from them.

However, I have been browing Accessories4Less and have been exchanging emails with Mark the last couple days. You can save a ton of money depending on what you buy. This got me thinking whether to go new or refurbished, and I thought this would be a good thread to ask some members if you are in the market for audio equipment, would you go new or refurbished. I would like to know your thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance!

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
For me, it depends on what it is and the terms and conditions of the refurbished unit. If the money is not important to you, obviously you should just go with new. Also, sometimes new units can be had at amazing discounts, such as when there are model changes. That is probably the best way to go to save money, but one must be patient to find such deals.

Frankly, if a unit is too constantly available as a refurbished unit, that makes me not want it. If the originals were well made, why are there always so many refurbished units available?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would buy new or like-new open-box, but never refurbished.

Sometimes new and many times open-box AVR have the same price as refurbished.

For example, Amazon was selling the Denon 3312 new for $550 and Open-box for $492.

CDogg

CDogg

Junior Audioholic
I have done my due dilligence regarding A4L, and everything I have found has been very positive. Some of the savings depending on what you're looking for are mind boggling. I would like to hear from others who have bought refurbished, and would like to know your thoughts/opinions.

A

Actran

Audioholic
I bought refubished, but I would recommend you do it with some patience. Also be sure to get a feel for the customer service reputation of the manufacturer you're buying and ensure you're buying from an authorized dealer (A4L likely is). I own a Denon 2312CI that is refurbished, but the first one I received had the HDMI out DoA. While frustrating, Denon had me do a few troubleshooting items then paid for return shipping and sent me another (refurbished) unit. I've been very happy with my second unit and have had no problems at all. To be fair I've only had it for about 6 months.

I bought the 3 year extended warranty for 40 bucks, but that still put me 300 under the receiver's price new.

My thread about my issue is here: http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/beginners-audiophytes/82446-hdmi-output-denon-2312ci.html

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Rule #1: Never pay MSRP for anything. Whether new, used, refurb, open box, etc, MSRP is for suckers.

Crutchfield has really good deals every now and then, but they are generally few and far between.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Buying a receiver refurbished is a huge risk. If you can't afford a new one, then you can't afford the risk of a refurbished one. With a refurbished one you stand more than an outside chance of loosing your entire investment. This happened to a recent poster I was helping and he could not afford the loss.

I think a lot of units are returned because the purchaser just did not like it, or more likely was too stupid to own equipment. If you get one of those you will likely be fine. However a complex unit like a receiver with deep trouble is not really fixable at economic cost. If you get one of those you will have endless headaches until forced to junk it.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I bought an Onkyo 707(had it almost 3 yrs.) refurb from A4L and never had a problem with it until it drowned in the Sandy storm. I would do it again If the price was right and get an extended warranty since it's so cheap. I also take EXTRA care of my stuff, soooooo.

CDogg

CDogg

Junior Audioholic
I bought refubished, but I would recommend you do it with some patience. Also be sure to get a feel for the customer service reputation of the manufacturer you're buying and ensure you're buying from an authorized dealer (A4L likely is). I own a Denon 2312CI that is refurbished, but the first one I received had the HDMI out DoA. While frustrating, Denon had me do a few troubleshooting items then paid for return shipping and sent me another (refurbished) unit. I've been very happy with my second unit and have had no problems at all. To be fair I've only had it for about 6 months.

I bought the 3 year extended warranty for 40 bucks, but that still put me 300 under the receiver's price new.

This is the exact model I am considering and one that was recommended. Thank you for adding the link to your thread and looking forward to reading it. IN life, not matter what you are buying or attempt to buy, you will always get the lovers and haters of any particular brand. If anything should go wrong, which I hope it doesn't, it will be replaced within 30 days. I will be buying the extended warranty as well.

Any more thoughts/opinions please post. As soon as I raise the $$ I will be buying, hopefully

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
Denon is currently changing over to new models. There should be some great deals out there on new xx13 series. The best deals are snapped up quick so keep your wallet handy :)
Cheers, Mac

Last edited:
cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Go NEW. I agree with macddmac new models are coming out so look for deals on last year models.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
New or refurb doesn't matter as much as the brand and warranty you are getting on it. That's really the key, because if you are paying for shipping and don't intend to use it right away, then you may find yourself outside the return window and may not even have a warranty on a piece of refurb gear when you go to use it. I had this happen with a Denon piece I got and it was almost a total loss for me. But, had I gotten an extended warranty, then I likely could have taken care of the issue through warranty work. New products tend to have a longer warranty, and many stores will really work with you to take care of issues. Also, you want to keep a close eye on changes that occur from model to model. You may find that the older product doesn't support a feature you want, or that there is a newer cheaper product which meets your needs (2113 instead of 2312 for example). When it comes to bleeding edge products like receivers, I tend to buy new. When it comes to solid state products like amplifiers, I often buy used. Speakers I've gotten both ways and I've had tremendous luck buying used gear over the years. But, as always, anything you purchase needs to be setup and tested almost immediately upon receipt to protect yourself.

CDogg

CDogg

Junior Audioholic
Trouble is I cannot buy now, not enough money. Hopefully in two weeks I will be ready to take the plunge.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis