Giving Bowers and Wilkins a try.... 606 Anniversary Edition and Center

J

johnner1999

Junior Audioholic
I’m a newbie B&W listener and I understand this is an entry level model....

Just bought a pair of 606 Anniversary bookshelves with htm6 center matching to bookshelf. And four M1 for surround and height.

these are my first time ever listening nor owning BW. I have a Marantz SR7013 which isn’t as high end as it should be but it’s rated pretty high and is 4ohm safe .... the sound quality is amazing (I tried a pair of SVS Ultra bookshelf with ultra center and they were good but seemed very very laid back)

my apologies in advance if this isn’t appropriate here. Question are even these small bookshelf models really hard to drive? I passed on the smaller 607 due to less efficient. But watching movies I typically have to crank it to -10db or -8 to really make them shine. Just not sure it’s good on the AVR or speakers?? Follow up was thinking about returning for the 607 or upgrade to 707 s2 (both with 5” drivers) would I notice any improvement or am I chasing a unicorn in my lower cost options?!? Was even thinking about some Monitor Audio Bronze 8” 100 but would prefer to stick with BW and maybe down the road much further get some upper level BW and an amp but .....

and I have a pair of their 8” subwoofers ASW608.... which give a very nice feel and sound with out being boomy nor obnoxious

Again thank you and hopefully not out of line.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Those B&W speakers shouldn't be that much harder to drive than the SVS speakers. It sounds like something else is going on in there. I couldn't tell you what though.

J

johnner1999

Junior Audioholic
Those B&W speakers shouldn't be that much harder to drive than the SVS speakers. It sounds like something else is going on in there. I couldn't tell you what though.
actually the ultra bookshelf and center took some volume as well. About -12 as well.

I understand not the same. But did have a pair of klipsch RP8000f and a RP504 center - they didn’t need a sub at all and at -20 beyond loud. But these BW are sooo much better at imaging and overall quality.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The Klipsch speakers are extraordinarily sensitive, so it makes sense that they would need a lot less amplification.

I haven't heard the 606 bookshelf speakers, but I do have extensive experience with the B&W 603 as well as the Klipsch RP-8000F. I'm not a fan of Klipsch in general, but I do think that the RP-8000F is the better speaker here, and I think your problem is a set up issue if you were able to get equal imaging from the 603s. These speakers have very different acoustic properties, and the Klipsch will change sound more depending on how you set them up. I think that Klipsch center speaker is probably not great though.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Congratulations
Do b& w have a special sound signature? I’ve noticed some models are very expensive
I’ve heard a few pairs in magnolia bestbuy they definitely were impressive. Never owned any

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J

johnner1999

Junior Audioholic
I like the Monitor Audios much better
Interesting... I assumed that comment was gonna get me in trouble ha.
Their newer bronze family. Are they more forward sounding yet still give good imaging-? IE not as focused as the klipsch?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Their newer bronze family. Are they more forward sounding yet still give good imaging-? IE not as focused as the klipsch?
They cast a wide Soundstage and Image very well. The top end is slightly extended, and clear. Nothing like Klipsch.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis