Ghostbusters, who you gonna call...........

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Your friends to not waste their money on this movie....it is just that bad.

Take a weak story, recycled plot, and useless cameos and it is just as bad as people who have made it out to be. It has nothing to do with the fact that they replaced the male cast with women, no one could save this movie. It's just a poorly written movie, with decent special effects.

I was in a mostly full theater, and when you only have minimal laughter throughout, you know it is not going to be a crowd pleaser.

Kate McKinnon (Jillian) was about as annoying as Jar Jar Binks in Star Wars, she was just way too over the top with her acting and the voice was like fingernails on a chalk board.

Kristen Wig (Erin) & Melissa McCarthy (Abby) just did not have a lot to work with and Abby went to the soup joke about 5 times too many.

Leslie Jones (Patty) has the funniest parts and to be honest, I can see her being the next break out from Saturday Night Live, but even she does little to save this from being a bad film.

I am sure people will like the nostalgia from the original series and may even possibly enjoy the movie, so I am curious on your thoughts.

Last edited:
tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Haven't seen the movie but sounds just like what I would expect from it!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
As soon as I heard they were doing this my first thought was that it wouldn't be good.

One that surprised me because it didn't look good but I actually enjoyed it was Goosebumps. It is very tween-aimed, but was still pretty decent despite that. I also watched it with my 5 yr old grandson who enjoyed it too.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

As a general rule: Remakes suck! One exception: Hitchcock's remake of his own film; The Man Who Knew Too Much. But then I'm talking about a craftsman who actually knew how to fashion a film, not like the morons who make movies today. :eek:

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
From IMDB most voted review from male aged 30-50 - it describes me and probably covers most of other AH regulars

*** This review may contain spoilers ***

I was unfortunate enough to see an early screening with a friend and... man, this movie isn't bad; it's TERRIBLE. BEYOND TERRIBLE.

It's getting mixed to positive reviews, but the people liking this movie are the same people who jumped on-board the feminist "everyone who hates this film is a misogynist" train and they don't even mention anything beyond the parts they cherry-picked to like in the movie. Throughout the hour and a half + movie, the movie made a desperate attempt to be good to the point where it just appeared like they were trying too hard. Much of the humor is forced and most of the jokes are basic and can be seen/guessed even before the scene rolls. At times, it felt cheap and lazy. I thought I was watching a failing SNL parody rather than a good movie.

Leslie Jones is another problem; she portrays a stereotypical black woman with an attitude. Yelling? Check. Bitch slapping? Check. Every single stereotype about black woman? Check. Remember Winston Zeddemore from the original film? Was he a stereotypical black man at the time in the 1980s? Nope. Instead, he was an Average Joe who wanted a job and took it at Ghostbusters. Here, Leslie portrays her character in an almost-offensive manner when it comes to playing a stereotypical black woman. It's borderline inappropriate and, had she been a man, this film would've been TRASHED by critics for this portrayal of a character.

Also, it's Reverse Sexism in a film. Instead of treating both genders equally, Paul Feig displays men as idiots or assholes. This is true with Hemsworth's character, Kevin, who is the team's secretary. He's completely stupid, clueless and innocent; but mostly stupid. Janine in the original film was a smart, capable woman who had a lot of memorable moments and wasn't portrayed in a sexist, if not really unattractive manner. I almost walked out of the early screening because of how poorly men were portrayed in the film. And, probably, by now, everyone has heard of the atrocious final resolution to the final battle. SPOILER ALERT: SKIP IF YOU WANNA ACTUALLY SEE THIS BURNING DUMPSTER FIRE.
The final battle is resolved by shooting Rowan in the d1ck. That's right; four chicks shoot Rowan in the d1ck with their proton packs. -.- You probably already know this because of the GIF floating around the inter-webs, but, yeah. That's how the final battle ends; a really sexist approach to finishing the film. It sounds mild, but combine this with the portrayal of Kevin, Bill Murray's cameo and a few other male characters who interact with the main characters and you have a feminist film ready to go.
Along with these criticisms come with the really bad script that just acts like imitation crab in the food world; it's just an imitation. In fact, half the plot imitates the original in a distasteful manner that just really turns off Ghostbusters fans. It's unoriginal and it pays little homage to the films. When it does, it does it in lackluster fashion. Like, for example, Stay Puft's official sighting in this film is in parade balloon form, not true marshmallow form. If you were expecting at least one showdown with the destructive Puft himself, think again. He has been replaced by the logo ghost. XD

There's so much wrong with this movie, but these things are just a few of them. Thanks Paul Feig for messing Ghosbusters up. I guess Paul's been Busted and it felt good busting' this travesty of a film that will haunt GB fans for generations.

PROS: -Chris Hemsworth (For the most part) -Complete relief when the film ended

CONS: -Terrible acting -Abismal writing -Huge gaping plot holes (Like the inability to buy the firehouse but the ability to create advanced ghost busting technology and obtain parts and equipment.) -Poor CGI effects -Disrespectful cameos and treatment of original material -Reverse sexist message -A stereotypical caricature of a black woman (Leslie Jones as Patty) -Useless inclusion of Patty into the GB team -Non-existent character chemistry -Disappointing final battle which breaks all GB rules first established in the film -Unmemorable soundtrack -Poor editing -Inappropriate responses to constructive criticism hidden in film -Dull, ineffective, dry forced-humor -Identity crisis (Reboot or Sequel. Choose one, Feig.) -Laughable film effort in general

This film is BUSTED and busting this travesty of a film makes me feel good; better than good... GREAT.

1/10 10/100 1/5 F

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I could tell by the commercials this was bad. Too bad Kristen and Leslie took the parts. I bet the money was good to pass it by.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
I lost count how many days now I have boycotted ghostbusters 2016, sony? I think its been 1 week so far? the look of the trailer with all that product placement displayed all over place in one scene was enough to put me off it totally.

GHOSTBUSTERS (1984) only with the coke-cola product placement in the fridge because the scene is so funny.

"Look at all the junk food"

$17 million its been Busted by the public.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=ghostbusters2016.htm

Last edited:
MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

and I heard on local radio this remake is a smash hit! :confused:

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I took my daughter to see this, because she really, really, really wanted to see it and she did enjoy it. I didn't think it was horrible - just mediocre. Thirty years of progress in CGI was quite noticeable, but that doesn't rescue this movie. The cast was fine - except for Kate McKinnon, who was as annoying as all get out. I think the main problem was with script - they just didn't have much to work with. I found it quite clunky and most of the "funny" lines weren't that funny. One exception was Chris Hemsworth. He actually had the funniest role in the movie, which is somewhat ironic when you consider that the movie's central characters are women. He was a good sport in portraying such an idiot and pulled it off...well, brilliantly. I thought Leslie Jones was the funniest of the women, but there was a low bar for her to clear on that scale.

It has a 73% favourable rating on Rotten Tomatoes, which is respectable enough, and I'm not all butt-hurt over the portrayal of men, but I definitely prefer the original.

I didn't get all the misogynistic vitriol thrown at it before it even opened in theatres and I still don't. And, I was completely appalled at the abuse Leslie Jones received on Twitter and Milo Yiannopoulos' banning was deserved. The subsequent outrage emanating from his posse of doofuses (doofi?) complaining about the violation of "free speech" rights just adds icing to their collective stupidity cake. They may have the right to say what they want, but Twitter is not obligated to provide the platform.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
This best part of this movie is the twitter rants and LJ saying she is quiting twitter. Definitely out of control free publicity

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

......I didn't get all the misogynistic vitriol thrown at it before it even opened in theatres and I still don't. And, I was completely appalled at the abuse Leslie Jones received on Twitter and Milo Yiannopoulos' banning was deserved. The subsequent outrage emanating from his posse of doofuses (doofi?) complaining about the violation of "free speech" rights just adds icing to their collective stupidity cake. They may have the right to say what they want, but Twitter is not obligated to provide the platform.
This really IS a dark period in American history, when some part of our population seems to be aiming to be brain-impaired luddites. We've had African Americans in movies for quite a while now and the Klan stays mostly quiet about that. Here we have a Ghostbusters remake. It's pretty unimpressive as a movie, but the only chuckles I got were from Leslie Jones. So, that's the thing that brings out the bigots? I just don't get this. I doubt that it's an engineered publicity gimmick, because, if found out, that would be a PR horror to the studio, so I assume that the bigots got their dander up because, in a movie that's supposed to be funny, LJ was funny, doing what she was hired to do? Right? And that's bad?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis