Getting the hang of this.

Damn Noise!

Damn Noise!

Audioholic Intern
Hello, just want to make sure I'm getting this right (and I have a question too)
my speakers have a freq response of 30hz- 22khz and a crossover freq of 400hz-3000hz what should I set my amp crossover to?

I thought of another question :D my speakers I listen music with are 6 ohm but my amp is set to 8ohm, any issues with this? I would like to keep it at 8 because when i switch to my surround speakers they are 8 ohm.

Thank you in advance for any/all help.

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
. . . my speakers have a freq response of 30hz- 22khz and a crossover freq of 400hz-3000hz what should I set my amp crossover to?
Your pre-amp (or receiver) crossover setting is used when using a subwoofer. If you do not have a sub, there is nothing to crossover your speakers to.
Therefore, assuming you have a sub, with speakers capable to around 30 Hz the cross over would be set to 40Hz or above.
- The reason you probably want to set the crossover higher than 30Hz (or 40Hz) is the subwoofer is better (more efficient) at producing the very low frequencies, so it is better to let the sub do the "heavy lifting" below 60-80Hz and have the main speakers concentrate on the higher frequencies where more musical content resides.

FYI: The 400Hz and 3000Hz speaker crossover frequencies are the "internal" crossover frequencies where the speaker divides what is sent to the tweeter (content above 3000Hz), the midrange (below 3000Hz and above 400Hz), and the woofer (content below 400Hz). This has NOTHING to do with the amp or receiver's crossover setting--that is related to "bass managment with a subwoofer" as described above!

. . . my speakers I listen music with are 6 ohm but my amp is set to 8ohm, any issues with this?
Normally not. The 6 ohm setting is just a current limiter and reduces output power. Unless you are routinely over heating or the amp is going into protection mode when you listen at high volume (keeping hearing safety in your crosscheck of course) you should be better off with the 8 ohm setting.

Cheers,
XEagleDriver

Last edited:
Damn Noise!

Damn Noise!

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for helping out someone and their first post, been lurking for months.
Yes I have a polk audio sub and it sounds great.
If I remember right I have the crossover set at 100 so I'll try 40 and see how it sounds.
I haven't had a good stereo in years and have enjoyed leaning this stuff.
Enjoy! Brian

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
What speakers are you using?
It's fairly uncommon for speakers to have an F3 of 30Hz.
I suspect that that rating is more likely a -6db or even -10db rating and setting the cross over as low as 40Hz will leave a noticable hole in the sound.

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
There are a sometimes 2 different crossover settings in the receiver. There is the crossover for the speakers & sometimes (depending on which receiver) another "crossover" for the sub itself.

The crossover for the speakers should almost always be set somewhere between 60hz-160hz. It depends on the speakers being used & the listeners preference. But if there is another seperate crossover for the sub itself, that is a cutoff that can limit how high up the frequency response the subwoofer will play. THAT crossover should be set to its maximum setting. If you set it to a low, say 40hz, but have the speakers set to say 100hz, then the sub will not be playing anything between 40-100hz like it should be. So youd want the sub's crossover all the way up to normally 120hz-150hz, however high it goes, so you make sure it will play up to where the speakers ar crossed over at.

The subs crossover could be in the receiver &/or on the actual plate amp attached to the sub. Again, these should both (if an option) be set to their max. The speaker's crossover is something different though & can be set between 60-160hz according to the speakers bass capabilities & listeners tastes.

Damn Noise!

Damn Noise!

Audioholic Intern
Here's my set-up:
Yamaha RX-V667 Receiver
Polk Audio Sub (110 I think)
Klipsch Quintet IV surround speakers
Cerwin Vega AT-10 (completly re-foamed and crossovers cleaned)

Everything sound great for movies and stereo music, I also have the Yamaha ipod adapter and with the Yamaha decoder "on" it sounds awesome.

I have my sub crossover set to max (the instructions said so)

I use the Cerwin Vega's for just music and the Klipsch's for movies (I just switch the front speaker wires using banana clips)

I hope that answers your questions, the spec's for the C-V's are something I found online.
Thanks for all the help! Brian

M

mloew1

Audioholic Intern
Here's my set-up:

I use the Cerwin Vega's for just music and the Klipsch's for movies (I just switch the front speaker wires using banana clips)

Brian
Does your amp have a speaker A/B switch? if so would it not be easier to use B for music and A for movies? instead of unhooking them each time.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Here's my set-up:
Yamaha RX-V667 Receiver
Polk Audio Sub (110 I think)
Klipsch Quintet IV surround speakers
Cerwin Vega AT-10 (completly re-foamed and crossovers cleaned)

Everything sound great for movies and stereo music, I also have the Yamaha ipod adapter and with the Yamaha decoder "on" it sounds awesome.

I have my sub crossover set to max (the instructions said so)

I hope that answers your questions, the spec's for the C-V's are something I found online.
Thanks for all the help! Brian
I'm too lazy to find the specs for the CVs, but I really don't think they are effectively putting out quality sound below 40hz.
I wouldn't set the cross over to no less than 60hz, 80hz would probably be better.

The quintets probably need a higher cross over to sound good.

I believe that receiver has memory settings that will store information such as EQing and cross over frequency. I'd set up one memory (or while I'm unfamiliar with how they work; scenes) for each of the front speaker options and switch between them.

As with all of the newer Yammys, the 667 does not have an A/B switch.
You could use the zone 2 feature but that would limit you to analog only sources.

Damn Noise!

Damn Noise!

Audioholic Intern
Thanks all, good ideas going on here!
I set it to 60Hz and it sounds good, when i use the Quintets I switch it to 120Hz for movie watching. simple to do on-screen.

Specifications:

Freq Response: 30Hz-22kHz

Power Handling Capacity: 5/125 watts (min/max)

Sensitivity (1w at 1M): 95dB

Nominal Impedance: 6 ohms

Distortion (midband at 96 dB/M, THD&IM): 0.6%

Max output level (pair at 3M, full power): 116 dB

LF driver VC size: 1.55"

Low freq driver: 10" cast aluminum frame

Mid freq driver: 5" cone

High freq driver: 1" mylar dome

Crossover freqs: 400Hz/3000Hz

Connections: low resistance push terminals

Protection: self-resetting circuit breaker for tweeter

Level controls: tweeter, midrange

Enclosure type: bass reflex

Dimensions: 28.5" x 14" x 13.5"

Gross Weight: 40lbs (each speaker)
These are a picture I pulled off the web, looks just like mine though.
Thanks for all the help! Rock On.

Attachments

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis