getting hifi sound from pc

D

DeepZkid

Audiophyte
Hello .... i have the yamaha rx-475 connected to my pc through hdmi of my video card (geforce gtx 1070). For movies i let the avr do the decoding and it sounds good. But if with music its not the case. why i the avr sound bad for music. i want to get good hifi sound. any suggestion . i read buying an external DAC is the solutions. is this true

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Hello .... i have the yamaha rx-475 connected to my pc through hdmi of my video card (geforce gtx 1070). For movies i let the avr do the decoding and it sounds good. But if with music its not the case. why i the avr sound bad for music. i want to get good hifi sound. any suggestion . i read buying an external DAC is the solutions. is this true
What source(s) are you using for music playback? Do you have cd's, mp3 or lossless like WAV, FLAC or AAIF (Apple)? Are you streaming via Bluetooth? Pandora?

D

DeepZkid

Audiophyte
my source from pc. yeah any formats i tried music does not sound like good music

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You're going to have to be more specific, the information about not being satisfactory is vague; what are the settings for the output and what modes are you using in the avr? What speakers/subs do you have? Could simply be settings you need to adjust. Your avr's dac should be more than up to the task via HDMI connection.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I have my PC / AVR set up the same way, getting audio to AVR via HDMI, and all of my music sounds great. I highly doubt that an external DAC is the answer to solve this problem.

Perhaps you have poor quality sound files. Or, the PC has some DSP or some other settings going on that are detrimental to the music audio quality.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Have you tried using the analog out of your sound card instead of the HDMI from the video card? My pc has a HDMI out but I have the pc hooked up to my AVR via the headphone/speaker jack to the RCA inputs on the AVR and it sounds awesome.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
If you use the PC's analog or digital output in PCM you are not using the AVR's DAC anyway, so try using digital output bitstream first before going the external DAC route. Most of the time the poor quality of the source media file is the culprit.

G

GFOViedo

Audioholic
I've got a HTPC in my living room for movies and music. MY HTPC is connected via HDMI, and my Denon AVR-X4200 does all the audio decoding.

Whenever I play a movie and / or music the AVR automatically recognized the audio format and plays accordingly. For example, if I play a movie with DTS-MA, it shows DTS-MA. If I log to my Spotify, Pandora, Tidal or Amazon Music account the AVR automatically goes to Stereo 2.1, and it sound awesome.

I did have to change some settings in my AVR so it would play as 2.1 in Stereo. In the speaker option I changed Stereo from Front L/R to Mains + Sub.

I'm not sure if you would have to do this for your AVR.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
I'd have to agree with MrBoat about separating the HDMI for video and the on-board MotherBoard audio out and/or sound card for audio using a 2.5 audio cable from the PC to the AVR, with a splitter, (any audio input) for best results.

Update: just did a quick image search of the rear panel of the rx-v475 and there are no audio inputs? :confused:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd have to agree with MrBoat about separating the HDMI for video and the on-board MotherBoard audio out and/or sound card for audio using a 2.5 audio cable from the PC to the AVR, with a splitter, (any audio input) for best results.

Update: just did a quick image search of the rear panel of the rx-v475 and there are no audio inputs? :confused:
An avr without audio inputs, eh? Sure about that?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've got a HTPC in my living room for movies and music. MY HTPC is connected via HDMI, and my Denon AVR-X4200 does all the audio decoding.

Whenever I play a movie and / or music the AVR automatically recognized the audio format and plays accordingly. For example, if I play a movie with DTS-MA, it shows DTS-MA. If I log to my Spotify, Pandora, Tidal or Amazon Music account the AVR automatically goes to Stereo 2.1, and it sound awesome.

I did have to change some settings in my AVR so it would play as 2.1 in Stereo. In the speaker option I changed Stereo from Front L/R to Mains + Sub.

I'm not sure if you would have to do this for your AVR.
Denon would use sub in stereo if you change your speakers to small....

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
An avr without audio inputs, eh? Sure about that?
Could be wrong; won't be the first time. just do a Google image search or go to the Yamaha site and look at the rear panel. Plenty of HDMI ports, pre-out's, single sub ... OK I'm a moron, there seems to be a single "audio" input, if that's it. All my receivers/AVR's have been Yammy's and there was always multiple analog audio inputs (CD, Tape, Audio 1, Audio 2, etc.), so I found that odd. Without reading the users manual I'm guessing and I recommend DeepZkid do the same. Those puppies are chock full of information. ;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Could be wrong; won't be the first time. just do a Google image search or go to the Yamaha site and look at the rear panel. Plenty of HDMI ports, pre-out's, single sub ... OK I'm a moron, there seems to be a single "audio" input, if that's it. All my receivers/AVR's have been Yammy's and there was always multiple analog audio inputs (CD, Tape, Audio 1, Audio 2, etc.), so I found that odd. Without reading the users manual I'm guessing and I recommend DeepZkid do the same. Those puppies are chock full of information. ;)
Oh, you meant analog audio input :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis