Getting Clear Ipod Music through Stereo

H

Halla

Audioholic Intern
How do I get the best or clearest music from my ipod when playing it through my hifi system?

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
How is it connected? One thing - if you're using the EQ function on the iPod, make sure you turn it off before hooking it up to your system, that alone will probably make it sound better. I connect my iPod to my Yamaha's 3.5mm stereo jack right on the front, and use the normal 2 channel stereo setting.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
And it is also going to depend mostly on what bitrate MP3s you have on your ipod as well. Heavily compressed audio will sound worse than lightly compressed or lossless.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
By default the iPod uses a 128 kb/s bitrate, which is of substantial enough quality to not introduce too much audible compression, but it is not CD quality. I hear there are programs that will allow you to store the iPod default files in a larger capacity, which will increase the bit rate, and lessen the compressive effects, but I have not found this to be necessary.

I play my iPod through my car audio system as well, and it sounds great.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
From what you describe, that cable described by Halon will be more than sufficient. It won't be the weak link in the chain. the Ipod itself will be.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Not specifically the iPod, but the 128K limit. The better your system, the worse 128K sounds. It is fine for typical headphones, but fire it up on a decent system and you will hear the difference. I generally don't like to use less than 192K and prefer 256K so that is a big factor.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I can't stand anything less that 256k on my stereo. And as mentioned by markw, the weakest link will be the iPod (more directly the MP3s themselves). The iPod should sound fine with a higher bitrate.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Is Halla still around anywhere? Are we talking to ourselves?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Is Halla still around anywhere? Are we talking to ourselves?
Odds are that he picked up his $7,000 speakers, the suggested interconnect, and is enjoying his 128k Ipod through them. :D

A

AVM62

Audiophyte
Has anyone noticed that different ipods have different sound quality? My friends 4 gig ipod does not sound as good as my 15 & 30 gig ipods on his system Pioneer A/V VSX-74TXVi receiver and M&K S-150THX speakers.

On my system Pioneer A/V VSX-72TXV receiver and Klipsch Cornwall I front Academy center and Mirage rear speakers I notice a difference between my 15 & 30 gig ipods and the iphone. To me the 15 & 30 ipods sound better.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Has anyone noticed that different ipods have different sound quality? My friends 4 gig ipod does not sound as good as my 15 & 30 gig ipods on his system Pioneer A/V VSX-74TXVi receiver and M&K S-150THX speakers.

On my system Pioneer A/V VSX-72TXV receiver and Klipsch Cornwall I front Academy center and Mirage rear speakers I notice a difference between my 15 & 30 gig ipods and the iphone. To me the 15 & 30 ipods sound better.
I am not so sure on that. A DBT would be more conclusive.

H

Halla

Audioholic Intern
Not specifically the iPod, but the 128K limit. The better your system, the worse 128K sounds. It is fine for typical headphones, but fire it up on a decent system and you will hear the difference. I generally don't like to use less than 192K and prefer 256K so that is a big factor.
I found that aswell - the better the system - the worse the ipod sound.
And I am still around!

H

Halla

Audioholic Intern
Odds are that he picked up his $7,000 speakers, the suggested interconnect, and is enjoying his 128k Ipod through them. :D

...at this stage I am a bit confused - latest advise is to get a pre amp to go with plinius p10 and not to change jamo e855's for b&w 803's. Sounds like money should rather be spend on a pre amplifier and not so much on speakers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis