Getting acquainted..

M

mediamope

Audiophyte
I've been an audiophile since the mid 1950s and love to customize speakers.
I date back to the days when you would build your own speaker cabinets and experiment with different crossover frequencies on crossover networks we also built from scratch.
My most ambitious project was to remove a 15-inch woofer from a Jensen Model Six speaker and replace it with a 14-inch (JBL's recommendation) woofer which (obviously) required an adapter which I made.
It was better sound than that produced by the Jensen woofer but I was hoping for the robust sound of JBL's Model L-100s.
I currently have a BIC Venturi speaker system which I modified so it could be bi-amped. (the bass chamber is physically separate from the mid-range and tweeter so there was no interaction.
The change to bi-amped audio gave me a tremendous improvement in bass response and the mid-range and treble are crystal clear.
I had to bypass the built-in crossover in order to make the system compatible. I drive the speakers with a pair of 100-watt amps and a Carver pre-armp. I reallly like the Carver sound. To complete my indulgence, I had the wood finish of the BIC's redone with natural wood laminates and a mahogany stain. They look and sound really good. Mike

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Dont just tease us; show us some pictures.

I've been an audiophile since the mid 1950s and love to customize speakers.
I date back to the days when you would build your own speaker cabinets and experiment with different crossover frequencies on crossover networks we also built from scratch.
My most ambitious project was to remove a 15-inch woofer from a Jensen Model Six speaker and replace it with a 14-inch (JBL's recommendation) woofer which (obviously) required an adapter which I made.
It was better sound than that produced by the Jensen woofer but I was hoping for the robust sound of JBL's Model L-100s.
I currently have a BIC Venturi speaker system which I modified so it could be bi-amped. (the bass chamber is physically separate from the mid-range and tweeter so there was no interaction.
The change to bi-amped audio gave me a tremendous improvement in bass response and the mid-range and treble are crystal clear.
I had to bypass the built-in crossover in order to make the system compatible. I drive the speakers with a pair of 100-watt amps and a Carver pre-armp. I reallly like the Carver sound. To complete my indulgence, I had the wood finish of the BIC's redone with natural wood laminates and a mahogany stain. They look and sound really good. Mike

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis