Genelec SpeakerAngle App for iOS Devices Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
With over 500,000 apps for iOS devices, one might think that everything has already been done. Not so. Genelec has just released the only app designed to help users adjust the angle (toe-in) of their speakers. I, for one, was really excited when I received the press release about this app and immediately downloaded it to my iPhone. We all know that the toe-in of a speaker is critical to achieving a wide sound stage while maintaining precise imaging. It is also crucial to ensure that your front speakers are toed-in equally. Although, for the average consumer, speaker toe-in is a set it and forget it procedure, an AV reviewer, installer, or ever tweaking audioholic, toe-in speakers constantly.

Discuss "Genelec SpeakerAngle App for iOS Devices Review" here. Read the article.

B

BBF

Enthusiast
It's not entirely clear in the article, but does this app actually take any audio measurements?

It looks like the app only measures relative angular changes. So one gets a pretty display of the angles, but nothing about real life performance. (I don't own an iOS so can't check out the app until an android version comes out.)

Wouldn't taping a cheap laser pointer to the top of the speaker be a much better way of figuring out where the speaker is pointing? Or have a friend, S.O., etc, turn the speaker till it sounds "good", or the measurement on the SPL meter peaks?

frankf

frankf

Junior Audioholic
Pigeon Toe

I have B&W speakers and I could not even try to balance my iPhone on my 804's. I was led to believe toeing into the sweet spot was the main purpose. A laser would make better sense aligning ( in my case )the laser to the tweeter. Another thing is the fact that all walls are not created equal. My room is built like a movie theater theme where both walls fan out from screen to the back room. While I see Genelic good intentions I think they took a wrong approach.

Cliff_is

Cliff_is

Audioholics Content Manager
BBF and frankf, you are both certainly right. There are other ways to toe in a speaker, and some of them will be more accurate. This is a very quick and easy way, especially if you are alone. Ultimately, your ears will decide.

BBf, you are correct, it doesn't take any audio measurements.

Still, it is nice to see some innovation, and $0.99 isn't much of an asking price, so I am in favor of it. If the app was $5, $10, or more, it would be a different story.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis