Gender of Audiophiles

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
The Female Audiophile

I'd wager 1/2 the boys in the forums would like you to put your pic up!

My observations on women and audio:

1) Good music provokes an emotional response in the listener, whether it's on a pair of iPod buds or on a million-dollar night club system. I think that women key into that more than men. I often have a hard time listening to even my favorite music on a less-than-adequate system because brain takes over from heart and the magic is gone. (Movies are very similar - bad ADR will kill a mood for me in a heartbeat.)

2) Complexity of modern gear is a huge obstacle. Not that women aren't capable of handling a 100-button universal remote - my S.O. certainly doesn't need me around to watch a movie - but I believe the majority of women would rather not bother. If more manufacturers would simplify their interfaces and market appropriately, they could break sales records. (Another thing Bose has done well.)

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

djoxygen said:
I'd wager 1/2 the boys in the forums would like you to put your pic up!
I wonder if that's not one reason we don't see more female audiophools, at least participating in the He Man Woman Haters Clubs that make up the forums. Half of the men reading this probably asked if she's hot, and the other half were thinking it.:rolleyes: Probably it's meant in fun, and in acknowledgement that female gear lovers are a "novelty" to us, but I doubt it does a lot to make them feel they're being taken seriously.

BTW, I'm one of the classier guys- I was only thinking it! :D

U

Unregistered

I guess somebody reads this stuff. I just checked for a response out of fun, not really expecting to find anything. Well sorry guys, I hate to disappoint you all. No pic, no "hottie." Just someone who loves music (mostly jazz and swing) and the best sound quality I can reproduce (within my financial limitations , of course). It is unfortunate that this "hottie" mentality and "physical appearance over everything" exists in today's society. For people like that, (including women, by the way) they've already missed the boat. Being a female, if I were to look at a male audiophile, I would be interested in only two things: 1. Is he listening to CDs? (If yes, I'd run for the door even if he looked like a young William Holden, and 2. Is he listening to his music with vacuum-tube amplification? Looks? To me, not that important. I'm more interested in his "equipment," shall we say?? Literally!
You'll never get it all in one package guys. Happy listening!
(And no, this is no joke. I do exist!!) And I'm probably worse than all of you put together as far as this hobby goes.

C

cornelius

Full Audioholic
At first, I thought you were a man, hiding behind a woman's persona in fear of mentioning tube technology on this web site!

I think you really exist. Proof? Here's one example: Eve Anna Manley!

T

TJ_Jazz

Audiophyte
- This is a great thread - Thanks!

Glad to see a female contributing to this topic.

Personnel experience with live music settings, suggests there should be equal number of music lovers between the sexes. Key could be in identifying what is different or unique to the audioholic that results in the obsession?

Surely a music obsession (out of control jazz LP collector), can be separated from the pursuit of the golden set-up?

Is extra pleasure realised when playing 40 year old LPs on 20 year old turntable, through 50 year old tube technology? ... if so, can both genders hear it and enjoy it?

We hosted two listening parties, earlier this summer, where male and female friends were invited to bring LPs, 45s, and CDs of the music that mattered to them. We had several cases where same music was brought by both genders and both were listening - enjoyed - valued with simalr interest. the mix of old (turntable & amp) and new (speakers) equipment we used, was certainly up to the task.

- TJ

T

The Lone Female

Interesting points you brought up there. What separates the fanatical jazz collector and the audiofool is the ability/willingness to bring the two worlds together; that is to say, realize that good music and good sound must surely go together. I confess to being both, of course, and what has always driven me was not just the great jazz, but the overwhelming desire to reproduce it as best as possible. What you ultimately want to do is actually make your equipment disappear, so that you are, in fact, listening to the music, not the evil short-comings of most mass-market audio components. If you really really love music, shouldn't this come naturally to both sexes?? Also interesting to note that the guys here are more interested in what I look like than what cartridge, pre amp and speakers I am using???? What does that say about The Male Audiphile???? Could that be one reason there are no females in this hobby? Just curious.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Um, I think it has more to do with "The Male of the Species" than "The Male Audiophile." :rolleyes:

C

cornelius

Full Audioholic
Actually, could you tell us what your using? I'm always interested in what tube gear people are using. Oh, and even though this is audioholics.com, you don't have to include you're measurements (although some here may hope you do).

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
While riding my bike at a local park just awhile ago this thread popped into my head for some reason and with it the general question of why one becomes an audiophile in the first place. A lot of us, let's face it, are as much into the gear as the music however much we protest otherwise, and enjoy the process of (vainly) pursuing perfect music reproduction via the acquisition of shiny boxes and devices for its own sake -- in other words, "the thrill of the hunt" is part of it. And then further along in my reverie it occured to me that "the thrill of the hunt" is also an oft-used explanation for male infidelity...

Sure, it's probably just facile pop psychcologizing by a middle-aged married guy after seeing a few too many cute female rollerbladers, but hey...

T

The Lone Female

"Equipment"

Work is slow today. Well, I look like Pamela Lee Anderson. Exactly. Isn't that what you all wanted to hear?
I'm using two different tube amps actually, depending on the weather. The Klimo OTL's for winter, which use 12 6LF6 output tubes, (Whew! It gets hot in my pad!) and SET's for summer, which employ the very ancient 2 watt 45 tube. Quite beautiful. I've got it made! And I'm using huge Tannoy studio monitors which could only be sold to a female nutcase like me because a normal woman would absolutely refuse such ugly monstrosities in HER house!!!! (Hey I got a deal on them for that reason, so I'm not complaining!) Koetsu Red is my cartridge of choice, on the most reliable, easy-to-use turntable of them all, the Well Tempered. Thanks for your interest. As you can see, I LOVE to talk about audio. (And records!!)

C

cornelius

Full Audioholic
Sounds great!! What's you're take on the whole cable thing? I noticed that you didn't mention speaker cables, interconnects...

T

The Lone Female

cables

Sorry, I forgot.
I've been using PAD (Purist Audio Design) for years. In the beginning, my audio pals and I thought they were the most unbelievable cables we had ever heard, and they were. They are incased in some sort of "magic fluid," (isolated from the wires, of course!) but the only problem is, this fluid dries up over time and then they lose a lot of that magic! (I heard they've since fixed that problem, but won't compensate you if you want to trade in the old ones) So that's kind of a drag. I think cables are the biggest rip off in audio. That's why I haven't bothered to change my PADs. I still think the sound is quite good (even though they're all dried up--hey kind of like their owner) just kidding. The new stuff on the market today is just so hideously expensive and the worst part of all is you get no return on cables. Unlike a truly classic amp or speaker, which can appreciate over time, cables DEE-preciate the moment you walk out of the store! A terrible racket. Unlike so many other audiophiles, I've always felt the most important part of a good stereo is the amplification anyway. I've heard $15,000 turntables with bad amplification and cheap turntables/cartridges with fabulous amplification. Who won? That's my reply when guys tell me the source is #1. Uh-uh!

C

cornelius

Full Audioholic
I always have seen the biggest improvements with amp upgrades, that's why I like to hear feedback from the tube world.

Any suggestions on a cartridge for my Rega Planar 2?

Work is slow over here, too.

T

The Lone Female

cartridge

Hmmm. Would a higher level Grado work with that arm? Even though I'm MC, I still have huge respect and admiration for Grado cartridges, particularly the upper level ones. An audio associate of mine has untold thousands invested in his system and he is still using a Grado cartridge! So what does that tell you? Terrific cartridges if they will work with that arm. Even a cheaper one will still likely produce fine results. (Like the TLC perhaps)

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
Uh, would you two kids like to be left alone for awhile? :)

Although I am not a vinylphile and hence possibly beneath our mystery woman's contempt, :D I do have an old TT, a Thorens 160 (didn't everybody of a "certain age" own one of those at some time?) to play some old vinyl I stlll haven't replaced with CDs. Yep, a lot of them are those awful '70s pressings seemingly made from recycled plastic waste buckets and probably their contents as well. Anyway...

It used to have a little plastic dingus that clipped to the shell to adjust overhang and vertical alingment and such but that has long since been lost. Are there devices that don't cost an arm and a leg that would perform this function? Can the plastic dinguses be found on Audiogon or the like? I see that one can still find the venerable Shure tonearm scale, however.

My current cartride is thoroughly undistinguished but I also see that the even more venerable Shure V15 mark whatever is still in production. Hmm...

If you can help, thanks. Sorry to bother you. Don't mind me...

T

The Lone Female

Thorens

Sorry, but the only thing I know about the Thorens TT is that it was supposed to be a really nice TT in its day and is still highly regarded among many "vinyl people." And no, you're not "beneath my contempt". (Although I did like the choice of words!) I admit I am a little opinionated about this stuff (I get a little too passionate about it, you know, being female) but what this all boils down to is a person's love of music and ability to enjoy it as such. All that should matter is: Are YOU completely satisfied with what you are getting out of your playback equipment? If yes, then to heck with what everyone else thinks. Including me.

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
The Lone Female said:
Sorry, but the only thing I know about the Thorens TT is that it was supposed to be a really nice TT in its day and is still highly regarded among many "vinyl people." And no, you're not "beneath my contempt". (Although I did like the choice of words!) I admit I am a little opinionated about this stuff (I get a little too passionate about it, you know, being female) but what this all boils down to is a person's love of music and ability to enjoy it as such. All that should matter is: Are YOU completely satisfied with what you are getting out of your playback equipment? If yes, then to heck with what everyone else thinks. Including me.
From one opinionated cuss to another: amen, thank you and cheers!

B

BuddTX

Audioholic
How many of you, that have wives or GF's, APPRECIATE the end result of a nice HT or Stereo system?

I know lots of women that, while they almost despise all the intricacies of this hobby, do appreciate the sound.

I think that, as a group, women look at AV the way Men look at buying clothes or shoes.

I cant speak for all men, but for me, I buy clothes very quickly. I know my size, I go in, and make my purchase. No unnecessary browsing, only what is necessary to find my size, and somthing that I like.

Now, funny story, a maried female friend of mine, who, while very cute, loves to rip apart PC's, and re-build them, she helps friends fix PC that are fubared, will re-load windows from a virgin HD, etc.

One day, she calls me and asks me about these all-in-one compact stereo sytems, asking what is the best.

Turns out, her CD player broke, and she wanted a new one. "Why not just get a new Player?" I ask. Well, turns out, she says that was what she wanted, but her Husband liked a small, compact tiny all in one player. WHAT? I yelled? You want to get a big component, but HE wants a neat, all-in-one unit? I very jokingly exclaimed (because I new him too), that HE MUST BE GAY!

I explained to her, that ALL guys want big honkin AV systems, 50000 watt per channel amps, New car priced Speaker Systems, esoteric CD/DVD players, .00000001 THD, etc.

So, I reasoned, if he wants a tiny all in one system, he MUST be gay!

We had a good laugh, and told her my comment was all in fun, but PLEASE do not tell her husband!

The next day, she called me, and what did she get? A 300 CD Disk Changer!

Long pause, and I said, You told him, right! (she did!~)

Just to be fair, Her Husband is NOT gay, and they have two wonderful children, and, as they say on Seinfield, "NOT THAT THERE'S ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT!"

C

cornelius

Full Audioholic
Oh yeah, my fiance appreciates the high quality of sound. Although I'm the fanatic, she has "ears" (classical music background), and notices a lot. Sometimes I gently explain why I had to upgrade to this or that and she's pretty cool with it.

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
I have to agree with the "end result" theory. My wife took one look at my very large and not terribly attractive speakers and said "Oh, they are big like you said". When I finally got them positioned decently and put on a well recorded female singer (her favorite stuff) she said "Now I get it!" It helps that she is the daughter of a well known audio engineer who was AES treasurer for years. Bless her.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis