Garrard Zero 100SB cartridge wire disconnected from RCA port

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Well as Paul Harvey said, here is the rest of the story: After testing the HK505 amp phono leads for hum I found nothing. Dead. I have another HK505 so I plugged the Garrard Zero 100SB into the spare amp. Voila sound!! Only one channel but I can fix that I think….
Why the phono input is dead on my other HK505 amp is another issue. Any ideas?
If both channels are dead, then most likely the IC that does the RIAA Eq and first stage amplification for the RIAA input is dead. However without having it on the test bench that is conjecture. But if both channel are dead, that would be the only point of commonality as both circuits are generally on one dual IC.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I still wonder about the fifth lead...
That is almost certainly the ground from the arm. Generally the grounds from the two cartridge ground pins and the ground from the metal parts of the arm run separately. So five and not four leads is the norm. The arm ground is generally connected to the turntable chassis ground and that is connected to the wire that you connect to the grounding pin on the back of the receiver or preamp. That is marked turntable ground.

G

Gidkid

Enthusiast
That is almost certainly the ground from the arm. Generally the grounds from the two cartridge ground pins and the ground from the metal parts of the arm run separately. So five and not four leads is the norm. The arm ground is generally connected to the turntable chassis ground and that is connected to the wire that you connect to the grounding pin on the back of the receiver or preamp. That is marked turntable ground.
Thank you!!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thank you!!
I am very concerned you are creating havoc with this turntable and have no clue what you are doing.

I am very concerned now you have told us that you have a nonfunctional Phono stage after your endeavors. Until proved otherwise I have to assume that you got an AC voltage on one of the turnable low voltage leads.

Firstly, do you have a high quality test meter and not a cheap piece of junk?

If you have appropriate gear, then you need to carefully identify and label every wire in that turntable. This includes all the low voltage wiring and high voltage wiring including all the switching gear. Make sure you do all this with the headshell disconnected.

I am also concerned you have blown one of the coils in your cartridge when the HK phono stage blew up.

At the moment you seem to me like the proverbial "bull in a china shop."

So you have two options.

You can slow up, make sure you have what you need to properly and intelligently repair and service this unit, and proceed in a logical manner.

Your other option is to put the unit in the hands of a competent and experienced technician.

Unfortunately Vinyl engine does not have a user manual or circuit for this unit, and I can not find one.

So step one with this unit, it to identify every wire and component and make sure everything is connected where it is supposed to be. This needs to be accomplished and tested to be working correctly before you plug it into anything again.

I have found you the color of wires and their function. This should be very helpful.

Last edited:
G

Gidkid

Enthusiast
I bought the Garrard Zero 100S on eBay from a seller in England. When it arrived, the plinth, and lid were crushed. The platter base was bent and the speed control was destroyed. I managed to repair the damage including solving the 110/220 50/60 Hz issue. The turntable now works perfectly.
Thank you to all who helped me!!!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I bought the Garrard Zero 100S on eBay from a seller in England. When it arrived, the plinth, and lid were crushed. The platter base was bent and the speed control was destroyed. I managed to repair the damage including solving the 110/220 50/60 Hz issue. The turntable now works perfectly.
Thank you to all who helped me!!!
Well done!

If the turntable came from England how did you change it from 50 Hz UK to 60 Hz US. That requires a change of the motor pulley. Did you find a 60Hz pulley?

G

Gidkid

Enthusiast
The table rotated at 40 rpm with the 110/220 transformer. I ground the spindle with my Dremel (carefully) until I got down to 30 rpm. From there I added a film of Krazy glue to bring it up to 33 1/3 rpm.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The table rotated at 40 rpm with the 110/220 transformer. I ground the spindle with my Dremel (carefully) until I got down to 30 rpm. From there I added a film of Krazy glue to bring it up to 33 1/3 rpm.
That is a really rough and ready solution. It certainly won't be in spec. for wow and flutter. I would find a good machinist to make a you a pulley to correct specs.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis