J

JPapes

Audiophyte
Been out of audio for a while now and looking to put something together for my garage. I was thinking of Klipsch AW650 speakers and a Denon AVR S650h receiver.
I just came across a nice pair of Marantz ds920
Speakers that looked and sounded really nice. I don't mind old school.
My garage is 26'x30' with 11' ceilings. A lot of hard surfaces. Picking a receiver for the Marantz speakers if I go that way, I'm up in the air.
I will be putting in a tv at some point but doing a surround system isn't a necessity.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You have foul weather inside the garage where you need a weather-proof speaker? :) You're buying a new avr for this or this is something you just already have available? My garage setup gets my "thirds" (living room and my bedroom get first dibs). While I did go with some old school speakers for my L/R in the garage (JBL 4311Bs), I've just used a variety of speakers out there for the most part, this is the third different pair but probably something I'll leave alone for a while. Mixture of other speakers and old subs for a 7.3 system overall with my oldest tv on the bench....

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
You have foul weather inside the garage where you need a weather-proof speaker? :) You're buying a new avr for this or this is something you just already have available? My garage setup gets my "thirds" (living room and my bedroom get first dibs). While I did go with some old school speakers for my L/R in the garage (JBL 4311Bs), I've just used a variety of speakers out there for the most part, this is the third different pair but probably something I'll leave alone for a while. Mixture of other speakers and old subs for a 7.3 system overall with my oldest tv on the bench....
I'm similar, the hand me downs tend to go to the garage, use them until they die, which tends to be several years.

Texas summers and high humidity around here. Right now I'm running a set of Overnight Sensations and a DIY amp.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Agreed, if assembling from scratch workable solutions from Thrift stores, yard sales or ones own 'hand-me-downs'

My garage - Sherwood receiver, Pioneer Elite SACD, Kenwood Cassette deck, KLH speakers and of course the obligatory Audioquest cabling ........;)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Agreed, if assembling from scratch workable solutions from Thrift stores, yard sales or ones own 'hand-me-downs'

My garage - Sherwood receiver, Pioneer Elite SACD, Kenwood Cassette deck, KLH speakers and of course the obligatory Audioquest cabling ........;)
Oh yeah, my garage CD player is a Pio 6 disc changer. But, it uses those 6 disc "cartridges" or whatever Pio called them. The same ones that were used in the disc changers that were installed in your car trunk back in the day. So, if you had the Pio CD changer in your trunk, and the Pio CD changer in your audio rack, you could use the same cartridges loaded up with 6 CDs interchangeably. That would have been pretty slick in the 1990s ;)

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
double check the foam surrounds on the Marantz speakers

J

JPapes

Audiophyte
Thanks for all the great input. All my other equipment my ex got.
My living room now has B&W 704 powered by Emotiva LPA-1 with LMC-1 and a SVSound sub.
My garage will end up being my man cave. I'm finishing the build on my office and bathroom. I will be adding a heat and air split to regulate the temp and humidity.
My original thoughts were on the Klipsch AW650 because they are and outdoor speaker and sound pretty good.
I've been to pawn shops looking for different firearms, but really didn't look closely at any of there electronic.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis