T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
Hi, folks
Looking at putting a system for music in my brother's garage and am having a hard time with speakers. The space is about 24 x 26 with around a 9-10' high ceiling. Sheetrock walls and a coated concrete floor. It will probably be pretty reflective. His listening choices will be about 50% radio and 50% CD. I have an older Marantz recieiver putting out about 70wpc in stereo.

The budget is around $250 max for the speakers. I've been looking at used (obviously) and can't decide between PA speakers or home. I can get several in that price range that are pretty good for the money, just don't know which way to go. Looking at ADS 570 and L8e, Advent (original) and Pioneer in the home line and have actually found a new set of ELAC F6.2 Debuts that are new with one having a little damage to the veneer in that range. Also found a set of the 6.2 bookshelves. The thinking on the floor standing is that they won't sound as good since cars will be in the way of the tweeters. Will elevating them on stands affect the sound that much??

As for the pro, I'm looking at a set of Yamaha S115V, S112V and a couple of offerings from EV in the SX line.
Let me know what you think, and thanks in advance for the replies.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Pro speakers aren't necessary in a garage setting, and for the same money won't sound as good.

Garages aren't exactly an acoustic friendly environment, but I've had success getting my speakers off the floor onto a shelf. Mine are pretty big too, so I don't really "need" a sub so it was a simple solution for me.

For the price, I'd go with whatever might help you get decent bass without a sub. A sub can work, but in a garage will have limited positioning options.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'd probably wall mount some bookshelf speakers Towers on the floor will get knocked over/bumped/damaged regularly. That will get you less bass, but more positioning options. Bass likely is a bit of an issue in a garage anyway, since optimum setup isn't an option.

I actually switched to just using a good quality bluetooth speaker, which gives more than enough sound while working on the car. Then it goes in the house after lol.

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
Thanks, guys. If I used the standard speakers I would put clips on the backs of floor standing to make sure if they got bumped they would not bite the concrete, for sure. Thought about that one.
Yeah, garages not being a very acoustically friendly space is why I asked for opinions. My Bro won't play it at party levels but does like some volume from time to time.

The main advantage for Pro speakers, I think, would be the limited dispersion on the tweeters. I'm thinking that a wide dispersion home speaker would really bounce around in the all hard surface space. I may be wrong, but that's my thinking.

Bookshelves would obviously be the easiest option since he has am upright freezer and tool box in the garage to put them on, but also the least bass.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The old Andrew Jones Pioneer FS52 towers would have fit the bill perfectly, but I don't see them around anymore. Cheap but good sound for what they were. They were around $200/pr but I got an open box set at Best Buy for like $100. They're still out there at some places.

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
The old Andrew Jones Pioneer FS52 towers would have fit the bill perfectly, but I don't see them around anymore. Cheap but good sound for what they were. They were around $200/pr but I got an open box set at Best Buy for like $100. They're still out there at some places.
I had thought about some AJ Pioneer bookshelves but I think those are too small. I have not seen any of the towers around for sale. There's a really nice set of the 22's close by for $75, which is what you could buy them new for when they ran them on sale. I just think they are too small and the reviews I have read say his newer offerings from ELAC surpass them pretty easily unless you mod the Pios.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd think with the PA speakers you'd generally want a sub, but may depend on your extension goals. I'd look used to keep the price down and if the cabinets aren't in the best condition, just wouldn't really matter out in the garage that much I'd think. I found a pair of JBL 4311Bs a while back, they're my L/R speakers in my garage/workshop, mounted up high (upside down, tho, to keep tweets nearer ear height also angled down slightly) on shelving that works out great for needed positions (7.3 system overall, tho I could definitely be happy without the subs, but since I've already got several....)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I had thought about some AJ Pioneer bookshelves but I think those are too small. I have not seen any of the towers around for sale. There's a really nice set of the 22's close by for $75, which is what you could buy them new for when they ran them on sale. I just think they are too small and the reviews I have read say his newer offerings from ELAC surpass them pretty easily unless you mod the Pios.
BS22s have ok bass and they can take a fair amount of power. Not going to have the output of a larger speaker to fill a garage though. I'd say don't overthink it, just go with what you find and it should work out fine.

K

kini

Full Audioholic
I'll second the BT speaker or even a soundbar. Either will be enough for a garage. I use a BT speaker. The garage being an echo chamber seems to actually make things louder. My Klipsch "The One" has plenty of volume and even a decent amount of bass.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Once the garage is stuffed to the gills, reflections won't be a problem. :)

I have a pair of 8" two-way in my garage and it sounds good, but I'm not trying to have a great listening space, either- manage your expectations.

I would use indoor/outdoor speakers and put them in the upper corners, so the three surfaces can reinforce the bass. It really helps. If you want more bass, maybe a subwoofer kit could be added.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Bookshelves would obviously be the easiest option since he has am upright freezer and tool box in the garage to put them on, but also the least bass.
Elac bookshelf speakers have good bass ... Even the Elac BS41 speakers have good bass and a little more than the Pioneer BS22 ... and the Elac has a good midrange ... but I would also look at 2 each of the Elac CS41 and stand them up vertical {if you can work with the total price) ... but there is also that used deal on the Elac towers that you posted about if you can prop them up

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
So,, any recs for a decent sub or two for this apace? Obviously price is key. Prob no more than $150 for one or two, so used would be the way to go. Looking at maybe Polk 10", Dayton 1200, older Velo 10 our 12," etc. Thoughts??
Thanks!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I have a pair of books with powered woofs that would be perfect for a garage, but they're not very commonly found. Infinity Composition Overtures.

1002525-8da80f18-infinity-compositions-overture-1-speakers_copy_614x345.jpg
1002523-99f3dbe6-infinity-compositions-overture-1-speakers_copy_614x345.jpg
1002522-7dd323fd-infinity-compositions-overture-1-speakers_copy_614x345.jpg

Of course they require an outlet for the amps, but they sound really good and dig pretty deep for books. I found 'em on Craigslist for $35! I guess my point is to keep an eye on the classifieds and you can stumble across some great deals on the cheap.

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
Nice find. I have not seen those before. I've spent WAY too many hours over the last couple of weeks scouring c/l, offerup and fb marketplace looking at stuff.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Nice find. I have not seen those before. I've spent WAY too many hours over the last couple of weeks scouring c/l, offerup and fb marketplace looking at stuff.
I found these Infinity IL10s for $20, and they're actually very neutral, great sounding speakers as well.

4601_copy_644x483.jpeg

What I do is look over whatever is available on CL on any given day, then use their search option to filter results to "posted today" the next day. That usually cuts it down to a half page or so of search results.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I liked the Interlude series. Very decent speaker, good find for $20!

For cheap subs, absolutely not Polk. The Dayton subs for the price are rather good. Won't go super deep, but they have decent output for the price. I'd go for the 12" which can be as low as $100 on sale.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis