Game of Thrones and XBMC

itschris

itschris

So, I've got around to buying TV shows for loading. I got Game of Thrones, it comes in three or four discs. I used MKV Maker to make a file to load on to my HTPC. It makes one MKV file of a couple or so episodes. I don't think that's going to work with XBMC though. I think it wants to see the individual episode files.

How to I break it up or use MKV to make the separate files? Or... can XBMC work with the one file in the TV SHOWS folder somehow?

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
If each episode is a separate stream within the MKV container, you can use MKVToolnix to demux / remux each episode as its own MKV file. At the very least, installing MKVToolnix and opening an MKV file within the mkvmerge GUI would let you peek inside the container and see what streams it contains. It might give you a better idea whether fixing your episodes will involve a simple remux or a more lengthy and complicated demux / split / remux. Or maybe Handbrake would be better at ripping one episode at a time than MKV Maker? (I've never heard of MKV Maker.) Are you using AnyDVD HD to decode your blu-rays? Or are these DVDs that you're ripping to MKV?

At the very least, you don't have to have videos in your XBMC library database to be able to browse and play them. You can still go to Videos --> Files, and browse the raw filesystem. You just won't have any fan art or metadata for your multi-episodic files.

itschris

itschris

MKVMaker is pretty easy. It lists all the individual components of the disc. You just select what you want and let it rip. I did look and notice that there are two or three large files on the disc. I'm wondering if each one is actually an episode. Even if it is... how do you know which one is which? This is the first TV show I tried to rip so I don't know the best way to do so. I'm assuming they're all pretty much the same format-wise.

I'll look into downloading that program in the meantime.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
MKVMaker is pretty easy. It lists all the individual components of the disc. You just select what you want and let it rip. I did look and notice that there are two or three large files on the disc. I'm wondering if each one is actually an episode. Even if it is... how do you know which one is which? This is the first TV show I tried to rip so I don't know the best way to do so. I'm assuming they're all pretty much the same format-wise.

I'll look into downloading that program in the meantime.
The first episode may be labeled 100, 2nd episode may be 101. Or it could be 200 and 201, etc. You'll have to guess and play it to make sure.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I place my TV shows in this folder structure which XBMC detects automatically

[ ] - folder

[TV] ->
[Name of the show] ->
[season 1] ->
Name of the show S01E01.mkv
Name of the show S01E02.mkv

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Mine is like this:

Game of Thrones folder-->
Game of Thrones s01e01
Game of Thrones s01e02, etc.
Game of Thrones s02e01
Game of Thrones s02e02, etc.
Game of Thrones s03e01
Game of Thrones s03e02, etc.
Game of Thrones s04e01
Game of Thrones s04e02
Game of Thrones s04e03
Game of Thrones s04e04
Game of Thrones s04e05, etc.

itschris

itschris

The issue is I can't tell if each episode is listed in MKV Maker as a seperate file or if it's one big file containing however many episodes there per disc. If it's the latter, I don't how to split them up to give them the correct names.

Bottom line, I just don't know how to effectively rip the blu-ray with multiple episodes.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The issue is I can't tell if each episode is listed in MKV Maker as a seperate file or if it's one big file containing however many episodes there per disc. If it's the latter, I don't how to split them up to give them the correct names.

Bottom line, I just don't know how to effectively rip the blu-ray with multiple episodes.
Pain in the a$$ for sure. You have to make an educated guess that if the disc has 3 episodes and the Titles are labeled 100, 101, 102, then episode 1 = 100, episode 2 = 101, episode = 102.

And if the disc has 5 episodes :eek: and the titles are 220, 221, 222, 223, 224, then 220 = e01, 221 = e02, 222 = e03, 223 = e04, 224 = e05.

Pain in the rear. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis