Future Proofing - 5ch Amp ?

Kolia

Kolia

Full Audioholic
"Amps can last 10 years"

Based on that statement, is a 5ch amp a wise investment? Should I break the bank and get a 7ch amp instead?

Or get a 5ch amp now and later get two mono amp? Or a stereo amp if I go to a 7.1 setup?

What are your thoughts on that guys?

Kolia

Kolia

Full Audioholic
curious, do you think you need an amp at all?
Of course the irrational attraction to having a separate amp is playing its part.

My living room is about 4,000 cubic feet. In HT mode, my 50w/ch amp does a good job. But during 2ch playback, I'm pushing it fairly high. I'm affraid I'm getting close to clipping.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
If its only struggling for 2-ch, then all you need to do is improve that, not all 5 channels.

Add 2-ch amp, and level match. More money, but if it tickled your fancy, you could try an integrated with HT pass, or even both a new amp and pre with HT pass.

Maybe just start with the amp. :p

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
or wait... could you do a 7-ch amp, and bi-amp the mains?

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Amps can be had for fairly low prices these days and they do last a long time so why not have a little overkill :D I think 5-ch amp is all that's needed. I do have an LPA-1 which is 7 channels and bi-amp the mains, but I haven't noticed a difference in sound.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
"Amps can last 10 years"

Based on that statement, is a 5ch amp a wise investment? Should I break the bank and get a 7ch amp instead?

Or get a 5ch amp now and later get two mono amp? Or a stereo amp if I go to a 7.1 setup?

What are your thoughts on that guys?
Yeah, amps can last 20 years only if you have a 20 year warranty.
Otherwise, just like all electronics, amps can malfunction or break anytime after the warranty expires.

If you must get an amp, I say get the $800 Emotiva XPA-5 200WPC x 5Ch. Surround speakers will never need more than what your NAD receiver has. Only the Front 3 speakers might possibly need the extra power.

Kolia

Kolia

Full Audioholic
Ok, we're trying really hard not to go overboard money wise! Lol!

'Cuz the Axiom 8ch amp looks really cool, very compact and all. But it's beyond my price range... :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Ok, we're trying really hard not to go overboard money wise! Lol!

'Cuz the Axiom 8ch amp looks really cool, very compact and all. But it's beyond my price range... :)
Yeah, it's almost $4,000.:eek:

I don't quite understand the power rating for this amp. Is it 350 watts @ 8 ohms with just ONE channel driven?:confused:

Is it PEAK power, or RMS?

Kolia

Kolia

Full Audioholic
Yeah, it's almost $4,000.:eek:

I don't quite understand the power rating for this amp. Is it 350 watts @ 8 ohms with just ONE channel driven?:confused:

Is it PEAK power, or RMS?
From what I understand, the Axiom amp will dynamically distribute to any channel all or part of it's availlable 1,400W of power.

Pretty much an "ideal" amplifier, using almost all of the power the wall socket can give you. In a 18"x18" box that weight a feather (for an amp)...

C

cfrizz

Senior Audioholic
Yes amps can last for years. My 50wpc Rotel amp lasted for 17 yrs before it croaked.

If you have a 7 channel system get a 7 channel 200wpc amp & be done with it. Or if you have a 5 channel system get a 5 channel 200wpc amp & be done with it.

This will drive any speakers you have now & in the future for years to come.

Kolia

Kolia

Full Audioholic
Yeah, that sounds like the best option.

I'll try the Emotiva XPA-5 and IF I ever need more channel, I'll get a stereo amp to drive the fronts.

Is it March yet?

Kolia

Kolia

Full Audioholic
The Emotiva XPA-5 will ship on Wednesday! Quicker than I had hoped for!

Interconnect should be home today or tomorrow (BlueJeans).
Now comes the fun part of reorganizing (again) the AV rack!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis