Future of Subwoofers 6"-8" excursion

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by sosick, Aug 20, 2007.

1. sosick Audiophyte

sosick
    this is a truly linear and reliable ultra high excursion suspension...it is in the prototype stage...will be marketed once all three prototype suspensions are finished...what you are seeing is the fs3 suspension...one more prototype is in the making....you can see the first protoype in the background and video is shortly to come....thank you for your interest:cool:

whoops almost forgot the website
    youtube.com/watch?v=npdXcYMnCkQ
  2. Seth=L Audioholic Overlord

Seth=L
    Hmm, I hope I don't get roll'd.:D
  3. Seth=L Audioholic Overlord

Seth=L
    Yay, no roll.:D

That was completely wicked by the way. Now the only thing you need to worry about is burning up the coils.;)
  4. mtrycrafts Audioholic Slumlord

mtrycrafts
    We'll see how it will test. Will it be below 10% THD at those excursions or what? SPL?
  5. Nuglets Full Audioholic

Nuglets
    It sounds like a damn lawnmower...I don't think musical notes could possibly come from that thing.
  6. annunaki Moderator

annunaki
    If the rear vent is blocked which I am sure it was in this test you will hear many odd sounds.

What was the pic of the JL Audio Driver in the very beginning???

What size woofer was that? If it was a 12" it looked as though the cone (surface area) was only about 7" or so.
  7. Rowdy S13 Audioholic Chief

Rowdy S13
    There was another video where you see the "JL" in action. It looked like to me that they were basicly the same sub, just different propsed looks. I still dont see why you want that much excursion.

Sean
  8. annunaki Moderator

annunaki
    The thing I begin to question is at what point can there be too much excursion? I mean, a woofer can cease to be accurate at some point can't it? There comes to be a point in that the woofer cone must travel so far that there is too much time taken up to push the cone out and then pull it back to complete the stroke. Doing that 60 times a second and spanning 6" there has to be some delay at some point or a loss of accuracy. I could be wrong or forgetting something here, but it makes sense.

I understand that the cone moving out and back in 20 times a second is a 20hz sound wave. However, if a cone is moving 3+ inches out and back and another can do the same thing (frequency) at the same output level but only has to move 1.5 inches could it not techinically have an advantage for accuracy? I feel it would, as the cone physically has to travel less distance, therefore allowing it the potential to be more accurate. It would definitely be more efficient one would think.

Perhaps Chris (Wmax) could weigh in here.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. GlocksRock Audioholic Spartan

GlocksRock
    how does the cone remain linear with that much excursion? I would definitley like to hear one of those subs, but I can't seem to not be skeptical about it.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Sheep Audioholic Warlord

Sheep
    That sub sure didn't like to sit still... I personally think these will be SPL subs.. There is already drivers out there that are flawless to the human ear.

SheepStar
  11. mtrycrafts Audioholic Slumlord

mtrycrafts
    Yes, we should mandate it:D:D
  12. WmAx Audioholic Samurai

WmAx
    Increasing distance traveled at a fixed frequency results in increased peak velocity. There is no issue here of which I am aware for a subwoofer, within practically achievable limits. Probably at some point, wind turbulence could become an issue, but I do not know at what point that would occur, and if it did occur, it would probably be masked by the tremendous SPLs created. The important issues for a subwoofer, as I see it, is the linear motor range of movement(both suspension and motor dictated) and mechanical noises created by the moving parts.

Such a woofer design has only two practical uses that I can think of: (1) SPL competition [and] (2) minimum size cabinet system using the large movement to take advantage of heavy equalization to compensate for loss of LF extension.

-Chris
    WmAx,