H

Harrison476

Junior Audioholic
Could someone help me become better informed about Front L & R speakers that cost ~ $4000.00 mark ( Pair).
I would appreciate knowing what speakers are available at this price.

Last edited:
walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Could someone help me become better informed about Front L & R speakers that cost ~ $4000.00 mark ( Pair).
I would appreciate knowing what speakers are available at this price.
First thing I would do is look for $8K speakers and try to get them for 4K. It's a buyer market.

Mike19

Mike19

Junior Audioholic
Hi Harrison.

A few questions:

> will the speakers be used for a stereo music only system?

> will you be using a subwoofer? If not, how low do you want the speakers to go (like, down to 35 Hz?)

> how loudly do you play music?

> what are the dimensions of your listening room?

> Do you want floorstanding (towers) or standmounted?

> Do you already have amplification? If so, what is the wattage (RMS) per channel and will the amp/receiver drive 4ohm speakers as well as 8ohm?

> Any limitations on size and/or weight?

> Would you consider used?

Mike

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
For $4,000 a pair, I recommend you consider Salk Veracity HT2-TL speakers. These are some of the very best speakers I've ever heard - without qualification. They are a fairly new design and haven't yet been reviewed. I own a somewhat similar but less expensive pair of Salk speakers, the SongTowers. They have been reviewed here at Audioholics and here,and elsewhere. I wrote up my own impressions.

At $4,000 you can get a pair of HT2-TLs in any one of Salk's standard veneer finishes, curly maple, curly cherry, curly walnut, mahogany or oak veneers, or black satin finish paint. See a few examples here. For extra cost, you can get any exotic veneer finish. Jim Salk does superb custom finishing.

Jim Salk runs a Internet Direct business, no distributors or stores, and none of their markups in price. He is excellent to do business with.

H

Harrison476

Junior Audioholic
need a Excellent Music speaker

Mike 19:
I have a very good HT set up. What I am looking for is two speakers for music listening. Right know my listening room is limited since I’ve moved to a temporary location. Its 15x25 room, with no treatments. I will be moving this next year and will have a dedicated room as I did before. Currently I’m using Onkyo 875 receiver. I am thinking that I may add a power amp also. My plan will be to incorporate the new fronts into the HT system. What I am thinking and I may need some help. I would listen to my HT with the system as is for movies. For music I would switch to “New fronts” and use my subwoofer as needed. I was going to switch fronts by a speaker switch? If this doesn’t work well I will use a completely different amp, pre amp/pro for music only. The thing is I also enjoy DVD-A at times. I have been wrestling with how to use my 5.1 system for HT and New fronts for music. Plus new front and the HT surrounds for DVD-A. I hope I’m not confused and have stated my objective clear. I don’t have any problems with used equipment.

Jamie:
I take a look at Audiogon almost everyday. Thanks for info anyway!

Swerd:
your reading my mind! The reason I chose the $4K mark is because of the HT2-TL. I have been studying the Salk speakers at their site, in forum, any place I can get information. Right now the HT2-TL and Songtowers (both kind of tweeters) are my first choice. Since I am not familiar with the speakers in this price range I wanted to make sure I was spending the $4K wisely. I was hoping to hear what the experts thought about speakers in this class range.

Thanks I appreciate yalls responses!

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
...The reason I chose the $4K mark is because of the HT2-TL. I have been studying the Salk speakers at their site, in forum, any place I can get information. Right now the HT2-TL and Songtowers (both kind of tweeters) are my first choice. Since I am not familiar with the speakers in this price range I wanted to make sure I was spending the $4K wisely. I was hoping to hear what the experts thought about speakers in this class range.
Ask Jim Salk where you can find the closest owner of SongTowers or HT2s. If you ever come to the Washington, DC area, you're more than welcome to come hear my STs. Send me a PM if you're interested. Dennis Murphy lives in the same area, you could try to contact him too. He always has an interesting lineup of speakers at his house.

Thanks I appreciate yalls responses!
And I appreciate the grammatically correct use of the second person plural pronoun in Southeren :D.

F

fredk

Audioholic General
RBH might be another company to look at. B&W will have something in that range, PSB and Paradigms premier speakers are in that range.

The challenge will be comparing some of them once you have a list together. I wish I had $4K for fronts. I could have a lot of fun! :D

bigred7078

bigred7078

Full Audioholic
For $4,000 a pair, I recommend you consider Salk Veracity HT2-TL speakers. These are some of the very best speakers I've ever heard - without qualification. They are a fairly new design and haven't yet been reviewed. I own a somewhat similar but less expensive pair of Salk speakers, the SongTowers. They have been reviewed here at Audioholics and here,and elsewhere. I wrote up my own impressions.

At $4,000 you can get a pair of HT2-TLs in any one of Salk's standard veneer finishes, curly maple, curly cherry, curly walnut, mahogany or oak veneers, or black satin finish paint. See a few examples here. For extra cost, you can get any exotic veneer finish. Jim Salk does superb custom finishing.

Jim Salk runs a Internet Direct business, no distributors or stores, and none of their markups in price. He is excellent to do business with.
great recommendation, the Salks are awesome

H

Harrison476

Junior Audioholic
The challenge will be comparing some of them once you have a list together. I wish I had $4K for fronts. I could have a lot of fun! :D
I agree, nowhere around here to listen those you have listed. Well Fred I 'm Old and deserve a splurge or two ! Really $4K for a pair of speakers is a lot of money to me. This will be the last pair of speakers I buy. ( famous last words).

The Songtower with a ribbon tweeter is $2500. The Songtower maybe the right choice.
Thanks guys, I am looking to find a B&W, Paradigm, Psb near me to listen to.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Also check out the Definitive Technology BP7000SC.

The retail price is $5,500/pr, but I got all my Definitive speakers at my local authorized dealer for 30% off. Thus, the BP7000SC can be bought for $3,850 per pair.

Measured Anechoic specification from Definitive: 20 Hz - 20 kHz +/- 3dB w/m.
Measured specs from Home Theater Magazine: 22 Hz - 20 kHz +/- 3dB w/m.

Of course, you have to carefully listen to all speakers before you buy them. Ask your dealer if you can listen to them in your OWN HOME.

A

ace0001a

Junior Audioholic
I wish I could afford speakers in this price range...

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
The Songtower with a ribbon tweeter is $2500. The Songtower maybe the right choice.
I've heard both versions of the Songtowers next to the HT2. I can assure you that each upgrade is most definitely an upgrade in sound quality and each retains the value equation at it's relative price point. That is to say, if you can afford to step up the options and/or models in Salk's lineup, it's certainly worth the added cost IMHO.

J

just listening

Audioholic
Even at $4K, do you want monitors, or floorstanders. Next, what is the size of your room. Third, the type of gear you'll be running.

I would definitely look at used speakers, the Totem Winds go for $4-5K used, and they are something special when setup properly.

There are a lot of Salk fans in here, I haven't had the pleasure to hear them.

Phillip Bamberg of BESL makes a phenomenal floorstander, the 5TMW.

A new company, Eficion out of Seattle makes an outstanding set of monitors, the F200's that are pretty easy to drive, and are very comparable to Harbeth 7's.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis