Front Speakers db Difference

Z

ZeroPlex

Enthusiast
Hi,

I've just bought some new speakers and when balancing them with an SPL meter, the Front Right ended up an +6db, whereas the Front Left was 0db.

Does this seem a bit odd?

The Front Right is in a corner, where a window makes up the vertical side of the corner. The side of the speaker is close to the curtains, but speaker itself is over 200mm away from the back wall.

The Front Left speaker is over 200mm away from the back wall and well away from the left wall.

Do you think it's the restricted/tight area that the Front Right is in that's giving the large difference in db readings?

I could probably move it away from the curtains a little, which would push it closer to the TV, but the fronts are only 6 feet apart as it is, and I sit 7 feet from them, hence I don't want to shrink the soundstage too much.

I could swear though that the Front Right sounds louder when listening. It's as if I'm drawn to that side more.

Any advice would be great. Thanks.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi,

I've just bought some new speakers and when balancing them with an SPL meter, the Front Right ended up an +6db, whereas the Front Left was 0db.

The Front Right is in a corner, where a window makes up the vertical side of the corner. The side of the speaker is close to the curtains, but speaker itself is over 200mm away from the back wall.

The Front Left speaker is over 200mm away from the back wall and well away from the left wall.

Do you think it's the restricted/tight area that the Front Right is in that's giving the large difference in db readings?

I could probably move it away from the curtains a little, which would push it closer to the TV, but the fronts are only 6 feet apart as it is, and I sit 7 feet from them, hence I don't want to shrink the soundstage too much.

I could swear though that the Front Right sounds louder when listening. It's as if I'm drawn to that side more.

Given the difference in the locations, that's about how much louder it should be. That's often called 'boundary effect'. The reflections are much stronger on the right side and reinforce the sound from the speaker. If you run Audyssey, it will compensate for this.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi,

One speaker is corner loaded and the other is not. The problem is that it will be the frequencies below 600Hz that will be progressively loaded.

Z

ZeroPlex

Enthusiast
Ok, thanks guys, I'll leave them as they are so.

Walter,

It's the db levels in the AV Receiver that I am adjusting to achieve the balance.

highfigh,

I don't have Audyssey on my receiver, but I do plan an upgrade later in the year.

I'll see what the new Onkyo's and Pioneers are like.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It is definitely bounary effect. I have the same issue with my surrounds. The left one is near the side wall and the right is near a hall so the nearest wall is 3 ft away and it needs to be notched up at least 2dB vs the left.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis