From the "now I've heard it all" department

W

woodman

Enthusiast
This from a thread over at A-R started by a fella calling himself musicoverall - which would seem to be indicative of an individual that really enjoys just listening to music. Not someone to get caught up in the craziness that audiophilia-nervosa has become. But when I read what he had to say about some new wires he'd found, I about fell off my chair! This comment sounded so outrageous to me that I could hardly wait to see if others picked up on it as well, and what they might have to say to him. But the thread went on for days with a raft of replies without anyone having a word to say regarding the bizarre statement he makes! Without further ado, here's what he said:

"After a couple of months of auditioning cables - and discovering that the Nordost Valhalla I liked best was way beyond my price range - I found what seems to be the perfect IC's and speaker cable for my system - the Cardas Neutral Reference. Two sets of IC's and a bi-wired set of speaker cable were found on the used market and I'm astonished at the improvement in performance over my previous wire. At first, I thought the lower mids and the upper bass was thin sounding but I realized that it was the lack of distortion that was causing bloat and grain!
A "lack of distortion" was causing sonic anomalies in his system? Also, I've never heard bloat described as "thin sounding" ... in fact, I'd always thought that "bloat" was just the exact opposite of "thin". Sheeeeesh! If this doesn't take the cake and win the prize as just about the most absurd comment ever?

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
Nice one! :eek: I wonder if he's interested in buying some titanium speaker spikes that are sure to lighten his speakers which will in turn lower distortion and cause less bloat? :D

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
woodman said:
...the craziness that audiophilia-nervosa has become....
"audiophilia nervosa", good one. Very apt term!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
the lack of distortion that was causing bloat and grain!
Sounds like he needs more fiber in his diet :)

I have a theory that most audiophiles diets are out of balance which is why they are always trying to lower the bloatiness in their systems. Perhaps they eat too much chocolate since they love chocolatey midrange :)

Ok I will stop now.

R

Richard Black

Audioholic Intern
I hate to risk spoiling a good laugh, but it is not possible that the guy's English is not as good as his hearing (?) and he really meant '...the lack of distortion, which had been causing bloat and grain'?

Richard

W

woodman

Enthusiast
Richard Black said:
I hate to risk spoiling a good laugh, but it is not possible that the guy's English is not as good as his hearing (?) and he really meant '...the lack of distortion, which had been causing bloat and grain'?

Richard
Perhaps you need to read the passage again Richard, since you quoted it exactly the way that he wrote it - only you came away with a distinctly different interpretation of what was said. Let me paraphrase ...

" ... the lack of distortion being the underlying reason for having bloat and grain in the sound"

The poster seems to have a very good and comprehensive grasp of the language ... his hearing, on the other hand - is quite suspect of being totally and completely screwed up with audiophoolishness!

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Hey Woodman :D

Great to see you here. You were one of the folks that I missed from that "other forum" after bailing from it a number of months ago. Your knowledge and experience, especially in TV, your overall objective approach to all matters, and your great sense of humor would be a welcome addition here, even though AH is known to favor the objective approach. The only thing we lack here is the constant need for asbestos underwear.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis