From Def Tech to SVS?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I have had Def Tech speaker for a very long time, many different models, all Def tech. I used to have an all Bipolar DT system but just got tired of not being able to really place them right and I found them to be nice sounding but overall a pain in the butt. Now my Def Tech system is Mythos ones for mains, SM55's for surrounds, CLR 2000 center and a Supercube II sub. SVS has caught my eye and I read all good things about them. How do you feel about a full on switch from Def Tech to SVS? What would you recommend going that route or even if I should? What is the difference sound wise? Thanks for any help, I will appreciate it.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Given that SVS will pay for you to return them if you don't like them, it is worth trying them out!
Which model are you looking at?
Do you have or plan to use a sub?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I was thinking of doing it piece by piece starting with main speakers but the system may sound like crap with mixed DT's and SVS. I was also thinking the Prime series not the more expensive ultra but its possible that changes. Right now I'd like to stay in the Prime series. Sub would be last to replace as its an expensive piece. Thanks for the reply.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I know and recommend the SVS Ultra Bookshelf speakers. They are good speakers and if you buy them as B-stock at $800/pair, they represent a good value!
I can't address the Primes as I have never heard.
No worries on mixing the SVS and DT's. Generally you'd want the LCR to match, but having them mixed for a couple of months is not going to be a travesty (unless you are pretty picky).
Absolutely no problem mixing the sub while waiting on funds.
Personally, I would not bother to replace your surrounds. Pull out a favorite movie you know well, unplug the front three (at the amp so they can't short), and see how much the surrounds are going to matter. If they are already hanging on the wall and unless they are distorting or doing something else to upset your experience, I would just keep the SM55's for your surrounds!

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I tried to respond several times but got a message saying it it was either spam or inappropriate. I type up one more response and it won't post I delete my profile and never return. I'm not wasting my time with the site.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I got a crazy idea with staying in the ultra SVS models. Getting the Ultra surround bipolar obviously for surrounds and then the ultra bookshelf for mains. Using my Def Tech sub and crank it up until I can get one of the SVS subs. Is that a dumb idea or smart idea or somewhere in the middle?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Before switching, I recommend taking more time to think about it. Read a lot more. Take a lot more time.

It's definitely a great idea to try out all the speakers that allow free 30-day trials as long as you don't mind returning them (boxing up all the speakers, taking them to UPS/FedEx, etc.). :D

Have you also tried all the local dealers (if any available) ?

Just listen to all available speakers out there and compare them to your DT. Only then will you have a better sense of what you really want. I don't see any other way. Everyone has a different opinion and you may think just the opposite.

In my experience, some rooms/systems may never achieve the best sound regardless of speakers. But you will just have to try for yourself. No way around it. It can be a long journey.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Actually I was coming on to post that I think I have switched direction again. Ya know its just so expensive to completely change out an entire 5.1 system. I think I'm gonna try Studio monitor 65 in the main position knocking the Mythos ones out. I saw a pair, brand new from a reputable authorized dealer for 304 each. 60 days return policy too. Then down the line I'm gonna buy a really good SVS sub to replace the supercube cause as it turns out Def Tech subs don't have the greatest rep. More a gripe about bang for your buck about DT subs. So what do you think of SM65 as mains, replacing the Mythos ones? So it would be SM65 mains, SM55's surrounds and CLR2000, of course my old Super cube II for now as the sub.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Try the 65's up front, with the 55's as surrounds - if it works for you then that is good.

If it does not do the job for you - then work on your upgrade

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
...I think I have switched direction again.....I'm gonna buy a really good SVS sub to replace the supercube cause as it turns out Def Tech subs don't have the greatest rep....So what do you think of SM65 as mains, replacing the Mythos ones? So it would be SM65 mains, SM55's surrounds and CLR2000, of course my old Super cube II for now as the sub.
Most of us (I'm sure you have also) have switched directions 100 times on speakers & electronics. :D

If your DT sub does a good job, why change it just because of its reputation? :D

Have you tried Audyssey Dynamic EQ with your subwoofer?

But again, if SVS offers free trial, it doesn't hurt to try out as long as you are willing to physically return them. Compare the SVS Sub to your DT sub. Does it really sound better to YOU in YOUR ROOM ?

So are you willing to try out SVS or other companies and RETURN them? :D

Same thing with the SM65. As long as you can try them out and RETURN them, there's no harm IMO.

What is your TOTAL budget for the Speakers/Subwoofer system?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Ok well I ordered the SM65's and we'll see. Finding stands sucked and I ended up buying way over priced Def tech stands but they are made for these speakers. If I don't like them I will be sending them back that's all.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Ok well I ordered the SM65's and we'll see. Finding stands sucked and I ended up buying way over priced Def tech stands but they are made for these speakers. If I don't like them I will be sending them back that's all.
Definitely get the full refund if they don't sound significantly better than your current setup.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks for the advice, I'm anxious to find out. I suspect they'll be delivered Wednesday, and I can't wait. It'll be interesting to see what or if they give me anything over the Mythos ones. I have 60 days so I have to give them a good 4 weeks to see. I will put them through some tests. I have a bunch of those awesome DTS CD's they put out. I wish DTS still did that for us niche 5.1 music lovers. Anyway they really show off a HT system, people are always amazed at what those DTS CD's sound like. I have a few movies in mind to put them to the test also. I'll also of course be doing some stereo listening.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Well I received my SM65's and they have been in my system for 3 days and all I can say is, wow. They are very, very powerful bookshelf speakers although bookshelf is a misrepresentation of these speakers. They are incredibly accurate, beautiful sounding speakers. They are not even close to broken in yet and they sound really, really nice. I saw the Audioholics review of these by Andy Gash and thought he might be over hyping but nope he was right on the money. I'm super happy with them so far. Oh they work so well with the SM55's and DT center speaker. They really allow the system as a whole to breath if that makes sense, they immediately made the center channel sound better, and of course work so nicely with the SM55's in the surround position.They are also already helping the subwoofer out, no need to change that now. I am highly impressed, very highly.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Looks like you saved yourself a lot of money.

Hopefully you have cured the proclivity to do a massive upgrade at lease for a few years. :)

You might start accruing some HT funds just in case that expensive day arrives. :D

For example, in the past I used to put $150 per month into a separate bank account for my "Hobby Fund". :)

That's less than my monthly Wireless phone bill.

$150/month seems a lot less painful than spending $5,000 all at once.

In 4 years, you'll have $7,200 to spend on an entire new Audio/Video system.

In the mean time you can continue with your research, planning, and dreaming. Must have something to look forward to. :D

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Looks like you saved yourself a lot of money.

Hopefully you have cured the proclivity to do a massive upgrade at lease for a few years. :)

You might start accruing some HT funds just in case that expensive day arrives. :D

For example, in the past I used to put $150 per month into a separate bank account for my "Hobby Fund". :)

That's less than my monthly Wireless phone bill.

$150/month seems a lot less painful than spending $5,000 all at once.

In 4 years, you'll have $7,200 to spend on an entire new Audio/Video system.

In the mean time you can continue with your research, planning, and dreaming. Must have something to look forward to. :D

Oh I like that idea. Even a 100 bucks a month would yield some nice HT equipment down the line. I want an Anthem receiver next but we'll see. I've always been a Yamaha guy but would like to go with Anthem next.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Oh I like that idea. Even a 100 bucks a month would yield some nice HT equipment down the line. I want an Anthem receiver next but we'll see. I've always been a Yamaha guy but would like to go with Anthem next.
There you go. Open a new bank account and create a $100 automatic direct deposit each month.

Soon you can have your "dream" Anthem AVR system + dream speaker system + dream TV. :D

In the mean time, we can talk about this dream system of yours. :)

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Back onto the SM65's. I think any HT enthusiast should check out the Studio monitor line from Definitive. These things really sound awesome with HT and music. I thought this system with SM65 mains and SM55 surrounds would yield nice sound but this surpasses what even I thought. I am extremely impressed.
I wonder how much money, time, effort and engineering goes into designing a speaker like this? I mean its obvious Def Tech doesn't just whip up a speaker cabinet, throw some drivers in and ship them off to be sold. They seem to go through a lot of engineering into building beautiful looking and sounding speakers.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Your speakers drop to just about 3 Ohms in the demanding areas of midrange, so watch pushing them hard with a mid level avr.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis