Friend needs a decent Center channel speaker ... Limited by height. :-(

bizmord

bizmord

Full Audioholic
Visited a friend of my. Initially he wanted to get rid of his receiver because he couldn't hear the dialog properly. I spent a bit of time, changed some settings on the receiver and pretty much uncovered that his crossover was set too high, even though his L/R speakers were better than the cheap and bad subwoofer he has. Rolled back a bit on the bass, also increased center speaker levels and that helps ALOT. Now ... no matter what, we both agree he needs a better center channel, only problem is ... he is limited with spacing.

I am a fan of Ascend speakers and have Sierra-1NrT, but he simply needs a smaller speaker.
I am looking at this one http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/duo/duo.html
but he probably won't want to spend $800 on a center channel.

Any recommendations? Height can not be more than 6.5in and depth no more than 7in

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Visited a friend of my. Initially he wanted to get rid of his receiver because he couldn't hear the dialog properly. I spent a bit of time, changed some settings on the receiver and pretty much uncovered that his crossover was set too high, even though his L/R speakers were better than the cheap and bad subwoofer he has. Rolled back a bit on the bass, also increased center speaker levels and that helps ALOT. Now ... no matter what, we both agree he needs a better center channel, only problem is ... he is limited with spacing.

I am a fan of Ascend speakers and have Sierra-1NrT, but he simply needs a smaller speaker.
I am looking at this one http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/duo/duo.html

Any recommendations? Height can not be more than 6.5in and depth no more than 7in
Wow I didn't know about these speakers. That's a really good deal. Ascend makes great products. Dave doesn't know how to design or build a bad speaker.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

6.5" height will be difficult (but not impossible). It may help if we know what he is currently using too.

Look to the newer RSL, those may work. Maybe the Ascend HTM-200. Perhaps one of the smaller NHT.

A Cambridge Minx would certainly fit. A Goldenear Supercenter 5C or 3C would almost certainly work fine.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
6.5" height will be difficult (but not impossible). It may help if we know what he is currently using too.

Look to the newer RSL, those may work. Maybe the Ascend HTM-200. Perhaps one of the smaller NHT.

A Cambridge Minx would certainly fit. A Goldenear Supercenter 5C or 3C would almost certainly work fine.
I can vouch for RSL, excellent speakers. I am waiting on my last 2 RSL CG23s to complete my new HT. Can't go wrong with RSL speakers.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General

I have the Sierra Towers as Fronts and I'm using the Monoprice THX-365C THX Certified Ultra Center Channel Speaker. It measures 9.7" x 22.9" x 11.4" and sounds really full and warm. I never have to turn up the center channel to hear dialog during movies once Audyssey is configured.

I was amazed how well this works with my Sierra Towers and its a screaming deal.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
There's no way of increasing the size of the speaker by rearranging the setup somewhat?

bizmord

bizmord

Full Audioholic
There's no way of increasing the size of the speaker by rearranging the setup somewhat?
nope. his has his short throw projector sliding 1.5ft away from the screen to have enough space hitting the picture up towards the screen.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis