Fraternity speakers

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
Those Mach One's look crazy!

I actually remember the Mach Two's. I'm not sure how old those are, but when I first got interested in audio, at the tender age of 14, my very first pair of "real" speakers were some Realistic bookshelf speakers from my local Radio Shack. I remember lusting after the Mach Two's because, well, they were big and looked impressive. I really had no clue what this whole world of audio was about...all I knew is that I hated the fact that my bookshelf speakers had paper cones. So, I purchased 6.5" poly replacements and stuck 'em in there. Proper cabinet size and crossovers be damned! Ahh, Realistic. Takes me back.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Cool! Huge Power technology. 160watts PMPO power. 2Hz - 40kHz response. 160 watts music power, 300 program power, 500 watts peak power.

I hate it when people advertise speakers.

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
so Buck,
you finally decided to get rid of your mains and surround speakers? What are you going to upgrade to?

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
MacManNM said:
so Buck,
you finally decided to get rid of your mains and surround speakers? What are you going to upgrade to?
:confused: WTFRUTA

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
Buckeyefan 1 said:

We all know those are your speakers, and you are using them for mains and surrounds in your HT system. Nothing to be ashamed of, the gig is up, we all know you really don't have those polks. Realistic rules! So does Scientology. I am only 2 engrams away from becoming clear!

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
corysmith01 said:
Those Mach One's look crazy!

I actually remember the Mach Two's. I'm not sure how old those are, but when I first got interested in audio, at the tender age of 14, my very first pair of "real" speakers were some Realistic bookshelf speakers from my local Radio Shack. I remember lusting after the Mach Two's because, well, they were big and looked impressive. I really had no clue what this whole world of audio was about...all I knew is that I hated the fact that my bookshelf speakers had paper cones. So, I purchased 6.5" poly replacements and stuck 'em in there. Proper cabinet size and crossovers be damned! Ahh, Realistic. Takes me back.
When I was a kid, I used to want a pair of Mach 1's(my mom had a pair). I remember when the Mach 2 came out; it was very disappointing. The Mach 2 was not near the quality of the Mach 1. Mach 2 audibly distorted on low bass at moderate SPL, and had what sounded like very poor mid-range(from my distant memory). Even the fit & finish was substantially downgraded on the Mach 2. However good [or bad] the Mach 1 may be, I remember the Mach 2 being much worse, in comparison.

The Mach 1 is probably an excellent party speaker for under $200/pair[if the foam surround is not significantly deteriorated]. The Mach 2, I believe, is probably a poor value for more than $50/pair.

-Chris

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis