Former audiophile needs to be brought up-to-date

Ex-Newsie

Ex-Newsie

Audioholic Intern
Okey doke. As they say during NFL challenges... Upon Further Review it seems more likely than not that I'll just opt for 2.0 or 2.1. May I have your best recommendations? I did look at the Yamaha referenced earlier here, and I have a Yamaha component which has served me faithfully. But in looking at reviews on a few sites, I see problems with Yamaha receivers which came to people's homes DOA, or which didn't power on if sitting unused for several days. Unplug, re-plug seems to alleviate it, but who wants to do that over and over? I know my choices aren't vast for 2.0 and 2.1, so your advice will go a long way.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
If you plan to use the system in a small room, you may not need a sub. It really depends on what type of music you listen to. You might want to just start with some speakers and a receiver/integrated amp.

I mentioned that I have a set of RC-10s that I use in the bedroom. I really don't need a sub for them. OTOH, I used to have some small towers in my main system with more extension than the Energies. For some stuff, I definitely needed the sub. For symphonic music and anything really bass heavy, a sub will definitely improve things. If you mostly listen to jazz or chamber music, you may not need a sub. Rock music can vary but I would want the sub if you are cranking up Slayer or Iron Maiden. Not so much for Steely Dan.

Jim

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Okey doke. As they say during NFL challenges... Upon Further Review it seems more likely than not that I'll just opt for 2.0 or 2.1. May I have your best recommendations?
Decent recommendations for a tight budget have been given - no one will 100% agree
on the one and only speaker for you. Audio is subjective.

However, my preference would lean towards the AA speakers from Philharmonic Audio,
and $275 for the towers is a solid deal. They were modified by a musician, who makes
little money on the speakers - and for a lot of music the bass will be fine. That way you
can save for a decent sub, and avoid buying a cheap mushy/boomy one.
http://philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html

Pioneer, Denon and Yamaha make decent/nice receivers. All in all, Yamaha is a decent
brand - regardless of what you may have read.

However it is your call - enjoy the adventure!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I agree with Zieglj01, the Philharmonic Towers are the way to go for stand alone budget speakers in a 2.0 system.

Here are some questions to help us target the best system for you. The better we understand your particular needs the more we can fine-tune our recommendations.

1) What type of music do you listen to? As Jliedeka said, something like Steely Dan has lots of syncopation and articulate bass is pretty important, but if you listen to Hip-Hop or Full Symphony, having massive, weighty bass is important. Ideal is to have both, but articulate + deep bass is very expensive!

2) Give us some idea of budget. What are you comfortable spending? If we suggest something above your budget, let us know so we can determine where to best cut cost.

3) Is this a one time, lump sum purchase? Are you looking to buy your system and just sit back and enjoy it for the next 5+ years, or are you looking to invest money now, but continue to grow over the next few years?

4) How loud do you listen? If you don't have a meter, would you need to shout to have a conversation with someone 3 feet away? Speak loudly? Or normal voice? How about 8' away?

Ex-Newsie

Ex-Newsie

Audioholic Intern
To answer KEW...
  1. The majority of my music stash is older alternative/new wave and classic bebop jazz with some classic rock thrown in.
  2. I'd like to keep the budget to 1k. I think that should get me a good quality pair of bookshelfs or towers and receiver.
  3. I consider this a one-time purchase. Should the heavens part and drop a lady into my life, one who loves her shows and movies on disc, I'll go for a separate home theater system down the pike.
  4. As I mentioned, I'm a medium volume guy. We might have to raise our voices a tad if I've got The Ramones playing.
You guys are the best for sticking with me and helping.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
As I commented before, I lean towards the Yamahas for their Loudness Contour which I like for listening at medium levels (and the classic style). Otherwise there is not a whole lot to distinguish between receivers. Let us know what you look at so we can make sure the amplification is adequate.
I looked at the reviews on Amazon as I assume that is where you saw about the on-off problem. If you look to the right just under the reviewer's name in light gray print, this problem is consistently with the R-S201 ($130). I don't like the way reviews for multiple models get lumped together on Amazon - not sure if it is Amazon or Yamaha's fault, but it causes a lot of confusion.
It is disappointing that Yamaha screwed up on the R-S201, but if you look at the R-S500, you will see the reviews are a different story. It is your choice, I just did not want you to eliminate the R-S500 for the wrong reason.

I think you will have a shipping charge for the Philharmonics, so contact them and find out about that.
75 honest watts in your bedroom at moderate volume levels driving the Philharmonics provides a comfortable power reserve.

That puts you at $350 + $275 = $625 plus shipping on the Philharmonics, call it $700. $300 under your budget. We like to spend other peoples money, so don't be surprised - you may get more ideas.:)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Oh, I forgot to add that for the music you listen to, I believe you will find the bass of the Philharmonic AA towers very articulate with decent depth.
Your floor won't vibrate the way it would if someone was actually playing an upright bass in there, but you will still feel the pluck of the notes.
I do think 2.0 is the right choice.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I would also look for a used pair of PSB Image T6s ...

They will give you all the bass you need for your music interests.

A quote from a review by Stereophile review of these..
"I am not surprised that Kal Rubinson liked the PSB Image T6 as much as he did. Its measured performance is almost without peer in this price region. This is a speaker you must hear.—John Atkinson"

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis