Food - Your favorite kinds etc...

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Over time here I have noticed many regular posters seem to be foodies of sorts but we have no food/cooking thread so it needs to be made!

I was curious about how others here got into cooking favorite dishes etc...Also, if you have any questions add them in.

Since I really enjoy cooking mine might be a little long.

Favorite dish to cook: Surf and turf, its simple and easy. A nice rib-eye Rare with a warm center with seared sea scallops in a clarified garlic butter and truffle potatoes of some sort.

What I love to cook: I love to bake, but not cakes, real bread that takes hours of babying to make taste amazing for example my Pizza dough recipe takes about 6 hours of semi-continuous work to get perfect and its worth every second! Although I love to do just about everything from grilling to whatever.

Favorite Food: A close tie between bread cheese and seafood but nothing else comes close. I tried to gauge this question off the few foods I could never live without and those three are what I came up with. The way I see it these are the perfect foods. There are so many varieties of all of them that are truely amazing and at the same time they can be like night and day. My favorite cheese is brie; My favorite type of seafood are scallops and my favorite bread is sourdough.

Favorite type of food to eat out: Man this one is hard. I love Asian but that seems like a cop out. I would probably have to say Thai or Indian.

What got me into cooking: My sister is a classically trained chef and patisserie and she has taught me tons, but what really got me going is testing recipes from her book that she is working on. It gets released sometime in 09.

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hmmm, that is a tough question. It's been so long since I've cooked or been around someone who cooks, my favorites are now those things that are easy and filling.

At the top of the list: pizza. I probably have it three times a week on average. Followed up by cereal - so much variety, so easy to make.

When I used to cook and bake (back in college and when I first started working), I enjoyed making homemade pizza, chili, cakes, cookies, muffins, and some others. I suppose that I'm better at baking than cooking - I can follow a recipe.

My mom is a fantastic cook, so I use to eat very well growing up. I just couldn't keep up the passion for it, as I'm lazy. Once, I went without dinner because I was literally too lazy to walk ten feet to the pantry to get a bag of pretzels. In my defense, however, it was a twenty-foot round trip...

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Man I'm the cook at the cave, shamefully I have more money invested in my kitchen than my A/V (believe me if I was single I'd have it the other way.) Any Italian dishes, especially rustic, country dishes. Seafood of any kind, luckily where I reside its available super fresh. We do homemade pizza for Mikey (my 4 year old),we make our own pasta and sauces, I make a mean oriental salmon with purple potato mash (took about three tries to get it right)...pm if anyone wants recipe, guaranteed hit of the party. We BBQ year round (hurricanes notwithstanding), I also started to experiment with smoking game. Local dishes such as Cuban food I've learned through friends. I guess here at the cave the number one hobby is the cooktop and ovens followed by A/V. Oh, my buddy, brother in law and I try and get together once a month to do a "tour of the region cooking" where we pick one country and try to duplicate the original, regional cuisines from the different peasant regions, right now we're doing Mexico and are using Rick Bayless' books as a reference and guide along with older research material, so far its been great food.:D

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I cook for one reason: If I don't cook, I don't eat. When I run out of food and am too lazy to go grocery shopping, I end up eating fast food everyday for a week or so until I get absolutely sick of it and force myself to restock the kitchen.

I can make just about anything but there are two things I tend to make often:
1. 'Steak Italian' is a recipe my mom used to make. I don't know if it is her original idea or her take on another idea. It's basically steak cut into strips with peppers and a red sauce with sour cream and cheese served over rice.

My version of it is better called simply Pepper Steak. I use steak, red, green, yellow/orange peppers, onions and mushrooms but I prefer beef sauce to tomato sauce. I have it down to a science. Once the beef is browned, I use Beef broth and let it simmer until the broth is almost gone and the beef is tender, then stir in all the veggies and stir-fry just until they start to get soft. Add the gravy and let it simmer until it is all hot. Sometimes I add cheese to the mix like Mom used to do but most of the time, I add the cheese on top of the rice and then pour the mixture over it.

2. Mushroom Pork Chops. I usually use thick-cut butterfly chops but any boneless type works. When the chops are cooked and nicely brown, add mushrooms and onions and cook until they are soft. Then add beef or mushroom gravy and simmer until it is all hot.

Vegetables are good for you and I like pretty much all of them except brussels sprouts (too bland and boring). I can eat Broccoli every single day and often do.

When I'm hungry and don't feel like some long drawn out cooking process, I brown any kind of meat and add a bag of mixed vegetables - kind of an improvised stir-fry. You get your meat and vegetables in one shot and have only one pan to put in the dishwasher. ;)

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Man I'm the cook at the cave, shamefully I have more money invested in my kitchen than my A/V (believe me if I was single I'd have it the other way.) Any Italian dishes, especially rustic, country dishes. Seafood of any kind, luckily where I reside its available super fresh. We do homemade pizza for Mikey (my 4 year old),we make our own pasta and sauces, I make a mean oriental salmon with purple potato mash (took about three tries to get it right)...pm if anyone wants recipe, guaranteed hit of the party. We BBQ year round (hurricanes notwithstanding), I also started to experiment with smoking game. Local dishes such as Cuban food I've learned through friends. I guess here at the cave the number one hobby is the cooktop and ovens followed by A/V. Oh, my buddy, brother in law and I try and get together once a month to do a "tour of the region cooking" where we pick one country and try to duplicate the original, regional cuisines from the different peasant regions, right now we're doing Mexico and are using Rick Bayless' books as a reference and guide along with older research material, so far its been great food.:D
Glad to see you are instilling good food values in your child, it is rare, but my parents did the same with me. If you need any smoking tips send me a PM, my dad and I do it everytime I visit. From trout, salmon, beef, pork, to chicken. If it has meat we have smoked it!

Vegetables are good for you and I like pretty much all of them except brussels sprouts (too bland and boring). I can eat Broccoli every single day and often do.
I love brocolli, it is my favorite veggie, ever since I was a child. I try to cook them as often as possible but my girlfriend gets in the way sometimes. I am a fan of brussels as well though, quick roasted with salt and pepper its amazing.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Homemade southern food. Nothing from a can, or box. Everything is made from scratch.
Entree:
Black Angus Porterhouse(Grill. Self)
BBQ Baby Back Ribs(Oven in foil, then grill. Self)
Half Pork Tenderloin(Smoked. Self)
Pot Roast(Wife)
Fried Pork Chops/Chicken(Wife)
Beef tips n gravy(Wife)
Chicken-n-Dumplings(Wife)

Sides:
Baked Potato(Wife)
Mashed Potatoes(Wife)
BBQ Baked beans(Wife)
Fried Okra(Wife)
Fried Green Tomatoes(Wife)
Fried Eggplant(Wife)
Speckled Butter Beans(Wife)
Crowder Peas(Wife)
Macaroni and Cheese(Wife)
Stewed Cabbage(Wife)
Stewed Squash and Onions(Wife)
Mustard Greens(Wife)

Breads:
Drop Biscuits(Self)
Buttermilk Cornbread(Self)
Garlic Bread(Self)

Desserts:
Candied Banana Pudding(Wife)
Bananas Foster(Wife)
Apple Dumplings(Wife)
Cherry Cheesecake(Wife)
Key Lime Pie(Wife)
Pumpkin Cheesecake(Wife)

ChrisJam

ChrisJam

Full Audioholic
I'm a big-time foodie! That's good, because my schedule is a lot more open than my gf's, so I do almost all the cooking around here.

I'm really confident doing

1. Chinese, especially stir-fry (I taught myself when I lived alone after my divorce)

2. Italian (tips from a couple Italian friends who are good cooks really improved my sauces)

3. French (everything from everyday meals to takes-hours-to-prepare cassoulets and coq au vin and boeuf bourguignon that are done every blue moon or so)

4. Many traditional American recipes

5. Barbecue--both slow-cooked and grilled

Luckily, we have many international friends who like to cook, so I'm often getting exposed to delicious, new stuff. I like the Food Network (though it's going downhill) and the food shows on PBS/CreateTV.

I want to learn cooking from the central and south parts of Africa (I've done some recipes from the African countries that touch the Mediterranean, and one Egyptian friend who's a good cook gave his recipe for yummy Egyptian chicken), South America, and Southeast Asia, especially Vietnam.

I've had two Spanish friends show me how to make traditional Spanish tortillas, which is their country's version of a frittata. I'd love to learn to make good tapas.

My gf is the main dessert maker in the house, and she does great ones. I have a few faves, though, and will do a dessert a few times a year to take to a party.

I have about 15-feet of cookbooks, and almost a gig of recipes on my computer. Cooking? I can safely say it's one of my fave hobbies!

One thing really opened my eyes to it, though. Early when I was dating my gf, an older co-worker in her department invited us to a dinner at his house. His wife and several of her friends did all the cooking. My gf brought creme broule (along with a blow torch to do the broule part). This meal was fantastic, easily the caliber of most fine restaurants I've eaten in. I learned that night what really fine home cooking can be. (Please know that I certainly realize this wasn't an everyday meal. And I know that simple food--comfort food--is great food! Heck, I sure love a good burger or meatloaf!) Because I already loved to cook, after having this meal I started going out of my way to improve my cooking skills.

Tonight I'm making nice, American comfort food--pot roast. It'll feed us for two nights, even of I give some to good friends of ours for their dinner tomorrow night. I browned a piece of chuck, deglazed the pot with red wine, and I'm braising the meat in a combo of the oil used for the meat, the red wine, some chicken stock, and some tomatoes with juice. I added aromatic veggies, some spices and herbs, and threw in some mushrooms for flavor and extra moisture.

Anyone who has smell-a-computer--yes, I'm adapting a phase from chef Emeril Lagasse--and can find your way here is welcome to stop by for dinner tonight. The pot roast needs another 1-1 1/2 hours of braising, so you have a little time to travel. Can you be here by 9:00 PM?

Yes, we're eating fashionably late tonight. :p

Chris

Last edited:
STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Great thread!

Favorite dish to cook: Grilled shrimp. It's quick and easy and you can season it so many ways. (Cajun is my current favorate)

What I love to cook: Kabobs, many variations all bitesize and ready to eat. Grilled chicken with barbaque sauce.

Favorite Food: Potato soup, country style dinner sausage with mashed potatos, salad (a good salad is hard to beat). Onion dip...yea I know it might sound lame but I love it. Extra sharp white cheddar cheese.

Favorite type of food to eat out: Probably Mexican, and I mean real Mexican. There is a little resturant in a strip mall near by and it's like having your mexican grandmom cook for you(and I'm not Mexican!):)...stakes seafood and the grilled chicken with orange glaze is awsome.

What got me into cooking: I'm not a foodie but making a nice meal and then enjoying it brings friends and family together. (We need to have an annual AH family reunion...every one brings a dish to Gene's house and then we can help him with reviews!!!:D)

Great thead,:cool:
SBF1

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Ho, where's Mulester7 when you want him? :)

Favorite dish to cook: Since I do 95% of the cooking in my family, I'm almost tempted to say my favorite dish is the one my wife enjoys the most. But then I realized that she gushes over quite a few dishes. (She LOVES eating! ;)) But I guess I have maximum fun whipping up my black bean Texas chili. Takes a long time to prepare and it's worth it. Spaghetti omelets come in a nearby second.

What I love to cook: Having spent most of my life in San Diego, I became enamored with Mexican food. This genre of cooking allows for incredible variability in styles, tastes, it's colorful, and can be creatively rewarding. I try to Mexicanize almost every standard, such as potato salad, pasta salad, pizza, any breakfast, salads, meats - bbq'ed and otherwise.

Favorite Food: My favorite food to eat is a strange one. A couple of years ago, I could only sip broth, and later, soft soups, for 4 or 5 months. I became addicted to my homemade chicken, turkey, hamhock, etc. broths. When I could finally eat a bit of soft solid food again, chicken noodle soup became my steady diet and a symbol of my victory over cancer. It now has become my most made food. (I have a great Mexican chicken noodle soup recipe if anyone is interested. :D) I eat chicken noodle soup, of one variety or another, at a minimum of 5 days a week. Talk about a comfort food!

Favorite type of food to eat out: There is absolutely no doubt that it is Chinese food. We have zero 'good' Chinese restaurants in my little town in Oregon. :(

What got me into cooking: Taking early, disability retirement, loving eating, and giving up golf! ;)

(Avaserfi, we'll still have that salmon gig whenever you're ready. ;))

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
I need to travel the states just to meet all you guys! Next time I visit my sister I will have to send you a PM. Depends how far you are from her and how long I stay :).

Stratman - you can expect a PM from me for that salmon recipe

Same for you and your Chicken soup recipe tomorrow. When I was a kid my moms Russian chicken rice soup was my comfort food and it still is!

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
The list is almost endless.

Much like with my whiskey and cigars, it varies with my palate and mood, and from day to day.

From steak to sushi, from beef stroganoff to chicken soup, from mac and cheese to lasagna. And many things in between.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Ho, where's Mulester7 when you want him? :)

Favorite dish to cook: Since I do 95% of the cooking in my family, I'm almost tempted to say my favorite dish is the one my wife enjoys the most. But then I realized that she gushes over quite a few dishes. (She LOVES eating! ;)) But I guess I have maximum fun whipping up my black bean Texas chili. Takes a long time to prepare and it's worth it. Spaghetti omelets come in a nearby second.

What I love to cook: Having spent most of my life in San Diego, I became enamored with Mexican food. This genre of cooking allows for incredible variability in styles, tastes, it's colorful, and can be creatively rewarding. I try to Mexicanize almost every standard, such as potato salad, pasta salad, pizza, any breakfast, salads, meats - bbq'ed and otherwise.

Favorite Food: My favorite food to eat is a strange one. A couple of years ago, I could only sip broth, and later, soft soups, for 4 or 5 months. I became addicted to my homemade chicken, turkey, hamhock, etc. broths. When I could finally eat a bit of soft solid food again, chicken noodle soup became my steady diet and a symbol of my victory over cancer. It now has become my most made food. (I have a great Mexican chicken noodle soup recipe if anyone is interested. :D) I eat chicken noodle soup, of one variety or another, at a minimum of 5 days a week. Talk about a comfort food!

Favorite type of food to eat out: There is absolutely no doubt that it is Chinese food. We have zero 'good' Chinese restaurants in my little town in Oregon. :(

What got me into cooking: Taking early, disability retirement, loving eating, and giving up golf! ;)

Dear Mr. T,

I can say we down here now have a couple of decent Mexican restaurants, one run by a family in which the "little old lady" matriarch is the cook, it's authentic and extremely tasty. Chinese: we lucked out too, we have Tropical Chinese rated in the top 5 in the US, can you believe it? And we don't even have a Chinatown!:D Had homemade pizza tonight.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Dear Mr. T,

I can say we down here now have a couple of decent Mexican restaurants, one run by a family in which the "little old lady" matriarch is the cook, it's authentic and extremely tasty. Chinese: we lucked out too, we have Tropical Chinese rated in the top 5 in the US, can you believe it? And we don't even have a Chinatown!:D Had homemade pizza tonight.
Why I oughta.... You lucky caveman!

Do you eat much Cuban-style food?

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Why I oughta.... You lucky caveman!

Do you eat much Cuban-style food?
If you ever come down I'll take you to the best Cuban food in town, Cuban food here is everywhere, but to know where to get the real deal you gotta know the folks, funny thing this restaurant is always packed with "gringos", Cuban food is unlike other latin foods, not spicy at all, but rich in flavor. One particular dish is comprised of pulled beef slathered with garlic, onions and a little olive oil, pan fried till extra crispy, they serve it with wedges of lime on the side, white rice and sweet plantains, man, you'd swear you croacked and went to heaven, I must say Miami, now, has some world class cuisine. Yeah Mikey wanted pizza, so I made him a Margherita pizza: thin crust, fresh mozarella, home made sauce and a little basil, kid goes nuts over it.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
If you ever come down I'll take you to the best Cuban food in town, Cuban food here is everywhere, but to know where to get the real deal you gotta know the folks, funny thing this restaurant is always packed with "gringos", Cuban food is unlike other latin foods, not spicy at all, but rich in flavor. One particular dish is comprised of pulled beef slathered with garlic, onions and a little olive oil, pan fried till extra crispy, they serve it with wedges of lime on the side, white rice and sweet plantains, man, you'd swear you croacked and went to heaven, I must say Miami, now, has some world class cuisine. Yeah Mikey wanted pizza, so I made him a Margherita pizza: thin crust, fresh mozarella, home made sauce and a little basil, kid goes nuts over it.
Maybe this thread wasn't such a great idea. I was stuffed until I read your description of the Cuban food and well who can deny an amazing pizza. While a fan of Margherita my favorite pizza of all time is a pizza I had in Portland, the Tortufa, which I have recreated in my kitchen. It is a simple cheese pizza on an ultra-thin crust (the one mentioned in my OP that takes a bit of work) with no sauce, Alfredo like, I generally use fresh buffalo mozzarella and parm. Cook the pizza at about 800 degrees (I have "tricked out" my apartments oven) then after the pizza is done I pour a slight bit of truffle oil on the top.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I always tell my friends, once you try a good home cooked meal all restaurants pale by comparison, my family has been in the food industry for over 40 years and my father in law owned what was then the largest restaurant in South Florida, his meat cooler alone was 1500 square feet!

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
I always tell my friends, once you try a good home cooked meal all restaurants pale by comparison, my family has been in the food industry for over 40 years and my father in law owned what was then the largest restaurant in South Florida, his meat cooler alone was 1500 square feet!
I'm getting really hungry, out here.........:p

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I see that, no one wants to talk A/V! Only food....hehehe. This is why this site is the best on the net, I wager no other "tech/entertainment" site is so diverse!:D

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I've been here a few years and what I like is that although the vast majority have a/v as a core interest there are also dozens of regular posters that know a thing or two about computers, cars, music, food, current events, etc.

It just goes to show that people are not one-dimensional and it is possible to have a wide variety of interests and knowledge in a vast array of subjects.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I've been here a few years and what I like is that although the vast majority have a/v as a core interest there are also dozens of regular posters that know a thing or two about computers, cars, music, food, current events, etc.

It just goes to show that people are not one-dimensional and it is possible to have a wide variety of interests and knowledge in a vast array of subjects.
Very well put M, I think its what makes this place interesting, you're right A/V is at the core, but most A/Vers that I know tend to be erudite and intellectual fellows, infact the only hi-fi snobs I ever met were in the hi-fi boutiques that use to look down on HT.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis