Focal Chorus 705 Bookshelf Speaker Preview

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
The Focal Chorus 705 is an attractive bookshelf speaker sporting a 1" inverted dome tweeter and 5" polyglass mid/woofer in a compact ported enclosure. Priced at $550 per pair, Focal rates the frequency response of the Chorus 705 at 65Hz-28kHz +/-3dB and states a -6dB point of 57Hz, which is quite respectable considering the modest dimensions. Of course, any Audioholic can tell you the 5" two way bookshelf speaker isn't exactly a groundbreaking concept; can Focal hope to deliver a solid value for your money? Read on to see my thoughts.

Executive Summary

If a speaker were judged by looks alone, a quick glance at the Chorus 705 would be enough to declare it a winner in my book. The styling and (simulated) walnut or rosewood veneers appear to my eye infinitely more stimulating than the average "black box"; Focal does also offer one other interesting finish called “black style”, which adorns the cabinet with faux black leather and black lacquer cheeks. Suffice it to say, this is a speaker that you probably wouldn’t be embarrassed to have in your living room. To up the ante further in the desirability department, I should also mention that unlike so many bargain basement speakers, the Chorus 705 isn’t made in China, but in France down to the raw drivers. Considering the price and apparent build quality, that’s an impressive feat in and of itself.

Now looks and pride of ownership are great, but they don't mean diddly squat if the basic design is deeply flawed. So what do the facts and figures behind the Chorus 705 tell us? Starting with the basic driver compliment, we're looking at a 1" inverted dome tweeter crossed to a 5" midwoofer at 3,000Hz; at that frequency, the midwoofer is likely to be beaming a bit, but not necessarily enough to cause a drastic directivity mismatch. The frequency response of 65Hz-28kHz (+/-3dB) is respectable for a compact speaker, and the rated low end extension indicates the Chorus 705 should work reasonably well with the THX standard 80Hz crossover. I would note that crossing a bit higher, say at 100Hz or 120Hz could yield useful improvements in dynamic capability, though what works best in any given system is difficult to predict.

In terms of electrical specifications, on the face of things the Chorus 705 should present a relatively easy load for a partnering amplifier. A rated sensitivity of 89dB w/ 2.83V @ 1m isn't half bad, and combined with an 8 ohm nominal impedance, you'd expect the Focal could be adequately powered by even reasonably modest amplification. Unfortunately, Focal does commit one faux pas here: they also state a minimum impedance of 3 ohms, which conflicts with the 8 ohm nominal rating. Going by the IEC standard, a true 8 ohm speaker shouldn't dip below 6.4 ohms. Given this tidbit of information, I wouldn't advise pairing the Chorus 705s with bargain basement receivers.

Summary

Aside from a discrepancy regarding nominal impedance (and to their credit, Focal does provide minimum impedance of the system), there's a lot to like about the Chorus 705. It's attractive enough to be at home in a living room or an upscale home theater; and of course being made in France, there's an added bonus to the pride of ownership department. The driver compliment isn't exactly what I'd call groundbreaking, but if done right, should be sufficient to reproduce music and movies faithfully. All said and done, Focal could have a solid value in the Chorus 705.

So what do you guys think? Anybody own a pair? Should Joel have these on his short list to review?

Focal Chorus 705 Rosewood.jpgFocal Chorus 705 Walnut.jpg

Quick Specs
Type: 2-way bass reflex bookshelf loudspeaker
Drivers: 5’’ (13 cm) Polyglass midbass; 1’’ (25mm) TNV Al/Mg inverted dome tweeter
Frequency response (+/- 3 dB): 65 Hz - 28 kHz
Low frequency point - 6 dB: 57 Hz
Sensivity (2,83 V / 1 m): 89 dB
Nom. Impedance: 8 Ohms
Minimum impedance: 3 Ohms
Crossover frequency: 3000 Hz
Dimensions (H x L x P): 12 3/8” x7 1/2” x8 15/16" (315 x 190 x 227mm)
Net weight: 12.5lb (5.7kg)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis