Focal 800 V W speakers being discontinued

jbltmp

jbltmp

Audioholic
I recenly started doing some consulting for a mid-hi end A/V store in my area and one of my favorite product lines on which we "focus" is Focal. Focal offers many excellent values in a wide price range. They are going through a consolidation of their portfolio and offering a new line they are calling Aria, which I haven’t yet heard. But as a result you may be able to find some good deals on their excellent 800 V W product line which is being phased out. We have an 836 V W tower on the display floor which I plan on purchasing for myself. It's a beautiful speaker with very well balanced, flat response, and excellent imaging and resolution. Although it doesn't have the beryllium tweeter found in their higher end line, to me it's still a great all around speaker for both music and video. If there's a Focal dealer in your area you may want to check for closeouts on the 800 V W product line. The 836 V W list price was $4449.

jbltmp

jbltmp

Audioholic
Thanks Z. That's a good deal.
One thing to point out is that the Music Direct listing (I think) is for the 836 V, not the 836 V W. My undestanding is that although they share the same tweeter, the 836 V W has better mids and woofers which are similar to those used in the higher end Focal lines.
I haven't heard the "V's", so I can't comment on the audible difference between them and the "W's".
But if one were to combine them they'd have a "VW". :D

Lulimet

Lulimet

Full Audioholic
I tried the Chorus line for a couple of months and ended up selling them. They were too damn bright for music. I would have lived with them if I did movies only, but I like music too much and couldn't put up of them.

jbltmp

jbltmp

Audioholic
They were too damn bright for music.
Hmmm. Do you remember which Chours? 700, 800 V or 800V W series? What amp did you use to drive them? If it was your Marantz, that combination could make for too bright a sound.

Lulimet

Lulimet

Full Audioholic
I had the 714V, CC700V, and the 705V. Yes I used the Marantz with them but I don't see how the Marantz would make them sound bright.

T

tdogroeder

Audioholic Intern
I have a pair of Focal Cobalt 816S's and they are bright and used in bedroom mostly for movies with a boston VRC center & velodyne surrounds, quite the hodgepodge of speakers.

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
I had the 714V, CC700V, and the 705V. Yes I used the Marantz with them but I don't see how the Marantz would make them sound bright.
The Marantz wouldn't effect the sound, definitely not to the point of noticing.

jbltmp

jbltmp

Audioholic
It’s a long standing controversy in the hifi world as to whether or not amplifiers have a sound of their own. (check out the Audioholics Youtube video at https://us-mg5.mail.yahoo.com/neo/launch?retry_ssl=1)
In my experience they do and I have found my trusty Marantz SR8000 surround receiver to have a brightness to it. Also, the way an amp interacts with a specific speaker can impact the resultant sound as well. Of course, whether the sound of a particular amp/speaker combination is detectably better or even different is up to the listener. To my ears my Marantz pairs up well with my custom speakers which are generally smoother sounding. When I’ve paired it up to what I’ve found to be brighter speakers such as B&W 800’s or Usher’s, both with a diamond tweeter, the high end was overwhelming. Whereas when I’ve switched to a McIntosh (which I’d consider to have a smoother sound) or a tube amp with those speakers, the brightness was less a factor.

As usual it’s all relative, and one person’s brightness could be another person’s detailed “airiness.”

So in your case where the Focal’s just did not cut it, no matter what amp you used you may not have liked them. Also, the Chorus 700 line to which you refer is two levels below the Chorus 800 V W, so that may account for some differences in our opinions on Focal.

As far as a speaker being good for movies but not for music, I’ve found that if I like the sound of a speaker, I like it no matter what is played through it. The exception being that, all else being equal, speakers with deeper bass response could be better for movies because they should be more capable of producing thunderously deep bass sound effects…but isn’t that what a subwoofer is for? :)

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks Z. That's a good deal.
One thing to point out is that the Music Direct listing (I think) is for the 836 V, not the 836 V W. My undestanding is that although they share the same tweeter, the 836 V W has better mids and woofers which are similar to those used in the higher end Focal lines.
I haven't heard the "V's", so I can't comment on the audible difference between them and the "W's".
But if one were to combine them they'd have a "VW". :D
My understanding going to the W series you'll notice improved vocals along with better clarity throughout the mid range and separation or placement of instruments. They'll play louder and cleaner at higher volumes. I can't speak for the 7xx or 8xx series but I recently heard some from the Aria line (which I believe is replacing both?) and I didn't love them.

To me the mid-range on the Aria seemed a bit off & not as accurate & somewhat congestion when comparing to my current speakers....YYMV. I have it on good authority with the Focal brand...once you get up into the Electra series all bets are off but that SQ only comes at a high premium.

Good luck...Bill...:)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
My understanding going to the W series you'll notice improved vocals along with better clarity throughout the mid range and separation or placement of instruments. They'll play louder and cleaner at higher volumes. I can't speak for the 7xx or 8xx series but I recently heard some from the Aria line (which I believe is replacing both?) and I didn't love them.

To me the mid-range on the Aria seemed a bit off & not as accurate & somewhat congestion when comparing to my current speakers....YYMV. I have it on good authority with the Focal brand...once you get up into the Electra series all bets are off but that SQ only comes at a high premium.

Good luck...Bill...:)
I go with specs mostly as long as the specs are relatively complete and detailed. Base on what I have seen and read I don't doubt the V/W series can't compare with yours. That does not mean they are not good choice for people who just won't consider ID brands.

Even the Electras may not be loved by people who prefer the "warm" sound, I mean artificially warm type as they are very transparent. My Electras are more revealing than my other speakers, if the media source quality is good, they sound good, if bad they revealing the bad parts in a little more obvious way than my other speakers. I am not sure if yours behave similarly.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I go with specs mostly as long as the specs are relatively complete and detailed. Base on what I have seen and read I don't doubt the V/W series can't compare with yours. That does not mean they are not good choice for people who just won't consider ID brands.

Even the Electras may not be loved by people who prefer the "warm" sound, I mean artificially warm type as they are very transparent. My Electras are more revealing than my other speakers, if the media source quality is good, they sound good, if bad they revealing the bad parts in a little more obvious way than my other speakers. I am not sure if yours behave similarly.
Hi...Peng...by no means were my intentions implying the Focal weren't a good speaker...nor.. was I suggesting he'd be better off going with some ID brand...it was simply an observation on my behave after briefly listening to the 906.

Now...granted my living room and how things sound to me, it's not identical as a well dampened or sealed audition room at the local dealer. Based on what I heard going by auditory memory, wasn't exactly what I was now used to.....this didn't mean the ARIA was not a nice speaker.

Fwiw...I used some of my Jesse Cook CDs because the instrument I have grown most fond of recently...is the acoustic guitar and to me... my speakers capture that a little more accurately or true to from.

Re, Bill...:)

Sorry for going a bit off topic...

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi...Peng...by no means were my intentions implying the Focal weren't a good speaker...nor.. was I suggesting he'd be better off going with some ID brand...it was simply an observation on my behave after briefly listening to the 906.

Now...granted my living room and how things sound to me, it's not identical as a well dampened or sealed audition room at the local dealer. Based on what I heard going by auditory memory, wasn't exactly what I was now used to.....this didn't mean the ARIA was not a nice speaker.

Fwiw...I used some of my Jesse Cook CDs because the instrument I have grown most fond of recently...is the acoustic guitar and to me... my speakers capture that a little more accurately or true to from.

Re, Bill...:)

Sorry for going a bit off topic...
I have never listened to any Ascends but have only read good reviews on them so I have to assume they are more comparable to the Electra lines. I did not misunderstand you at all. My comments were intended to alert the OP that just because the ARIA does not sound as nice as the Ascend towers, it does not mean the ARIA or the 826/836W are not worth considering, pretty much the same point as you are making now. I thought he needs to know the Ascend towers are probably better sounding than a lot of non ID speakers costing twice as much.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis