Focal 726 vs NHT Absolute Tower vs Monitor RX6 vs PSB Image T6

Matt34

Matt34

Here are a couple of pics that more accurately show the finish on the Focals.

majorloser

majorloser

Very nice. That front baffle is too nice looking to cover up with the grill

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
I thought I should post an update. As my parents move has been delayed, I have yet to purchase new speakers as my current ones would not have a home and storage space is at a premium in my apartment. I'd take them and store them at my parents current house, but that just makes more stuff to move and I want the home theater to be a surprise.

I'm tempted by NHT at the moment because they are running a 20% off everything special. I'm still leaning towards the Focals as you can't sit on your sofa and listen to 20% but it sure is tempting.

I know a couple of people either just purchased Focals or were thinking about it, any impressions?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I thought I should post an update. As my parents move has been delayed, I have yet to purchase new speakers as my current ones would not have a home and storage space is at a premium in my apartment. I'd take them and store them at my parents current house, but that just makes more stuff to move and I want the home theater to be a surprise.

I'm tempted by NHT at the moment because they are running a 20% off everything special. I'm still leaning towards the Focals as you can't sit on your sofa and listen to 20% but it sure is tempting.

I know a couple of people either just purchased Focals or were thinking about it, any impressions?
If someone offered me the Focal vs NHT Classic Four, I would take the Classic Four. :D

Tough one between the Absolute Tower vs Focal.

S

sid369

Audioholic Intern
If someone offered me the Focal vs NHT Classic Four, I would take the Classic Four. :D

Well, I went and listened to the new Focal 726, the grill now covers the tweeter and the V design is gone. the speakers have curves now. I listened to them against the B&W 683, CM8, PSB T6 and Image T and I found the Focal to the most open and clear, the others sounded closed. I then narrowed it down to 2 speakers PSB image T and the 726 and in one of the songs when the guy switched from the focal to psb, he pointed out how the vocal on the PSB sounded nasely vs the focal, you could barely hear the banjo on the PSB, but the Focal had it it little more clear.

I then asked to demo a movies, I don't know what it was but I could not feel the heavy bass( bad sub) I guess. To be honest I went to HH Greg to look at something else and found they had a Polk TSI300 set up with sub, to me that sounded more punchy and sounds could be heard. I was disappointed in that regards that I did not get that from the Focals.
I am almost thinking if I should buy the primus p363 as acudefguy had suggested, and pair it with a nice sub like the rhythmic, outlaw etc.

The focals to me so far have sounded great compared to other speakers and the next best that I liked were the CM9 but way too expensive.

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic

I know with 20% off, the Classic Four is tempting me to enlarge my original budget just a little, and I'm talking just a little, but then I'd have to go over significantly to add a new receiver.

Decisions, decisions.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I know with 20% off, the Classic Four is tempting me to enlarge my original budget just a little, and I'm talking just a little, but then I'd have to go over significantly to add a new receiver.

Decisions, decisions.
Significantly on the AVR?

Which AVR and how much?

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic

Well, I went and listened to the new Focal 726, the grill now covers the tweeter and the V design is gone. the speakers have curves now. I listened to them against the B&W 683, CM8, PSB T6 and Image T and I found the Focal to the most open and clear, the others sounded closed. I then narrowed it down to 2 speakers PSB image T and the 726 and in one of the songs when the guy switched from the focal to psb, he pointed out how the vocal on the PSB sounded nasely vs the focal, you could barely hear the banjo on the PSB, but the Focal had it it little more clear.

I then asked to demo a movies, I don't know what it was but I could not feel the heavy bass( bad sub) I guess. To be honest I went to HH Greg to look at something else and found they had a Polk TSI300 set up with sub, to me that sounded more punchy and sounds could be heard. I was disappointed in that regards that I did not get that from the Focals.
I am almost thinking if I should buy the primus p363 as acudefguy had suggested, and pair it with a nice sub like the rhythmic, outlaw etc.

The focals to me so far have sounded great compared to other speakers and the next best that I liked were the CM9 but way too expensive.
Has the price on the 726's remained at 1200 a pair?

It definitely sounds like there was a sub problem or receiver issue if you weren't hearing bass in movies. To me the ultimate test is with music.

I'm confused as to why the sound of the Polk speakers has you wanting to go Infinity? Is it because you feel you can't appreciate good audio? I would argue that you can if you noticed a difference between Focal, PSB, etc. Alternatively, if you like the Polk, maybe you should get the Polk.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

If you have a great sub (like Rythmik), then the speaker bass capability is not as significant. So a Focal bookshelf + Rythmik would work well also. P363 + Rythmik would also work. Clean sound for sure. :D

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
Significantly on the AVR?

Which AVR and how much?
I was looking at A4L, although I'm a little afraid of refurbs, but it seems most people have no issues. I'm looking at the Denon 991. I read a review that measured the power output at 130 watts 2 channels driven and about 100 with 5 channels. If I have no refurb issues seems like an excellent deal at $430.

Otherwise, I'll be watching sales at Newegg for either a Pioneer or a Yamaha, or going to BB and see what they have on clearance.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I was looking at A4L, although I'm a little afraid of refurbs, but it seems most people have no issues. I'm looking at the Denon 991. I read a review that measured the power output at 130 watts 2 channels driven and about 100 with 5 channels. If I have no refurb issues seems like an excellent deal at $430.

Otherwise, I'll be watching sales at Newegg for either a Pioneer or a Yamaha, or going to BB and see what they have on clearance.
I recently sold a Denon 990 to a guy via Craigslist for $450. :D

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
I'm going to assume you like the 990 and just replaced it with something newer?

It also sounds like the 991 for under 450 is a good deal as long as I can get past my refurb issues. It does have a 1 year warranty which instills some confidence. Plus with the 991, I can get back into vinyl since it has phono inputs.

My concern with the 4's is too much bass for home theater as I'm in an apartment and I really don't want to annoy the nice lady downstairs. I'm sure musically they would be outstanding.

S

sid369

Audioholic Intern
Has the price on the 726's remained at 1200 a pair?

It definitely sounds like there was a sub problem or receiver issue if you weren't hearing bass in movies. To me the ultimate test is with music.

I'm confused as to why the sound of the Polk speakers has you wanting to go Infinity? Is it because you feel you can't appreciate good audio? I would argue that you can if you noticed a difference between Focal, PSB, etc. Alternatively, if you like the Polk, maybe you should get the Polk.
No, i think there has been an increase i think its gone up by $100 or so, I am not sure but i can confirm this through the dealer.

I know, I am all over the place, my reasoning is this, that if people are saying infinity p363 is good, then fry's have them on sale every so often and I won't be loosing much buying them vs. with polk people say they sound hollow, muddy etc, but I can;t hear that or I was simple liking the sound because of how they were set up compared to the focal.

The focal were great, but not to a level where I could say, I should pay really pay more to get these as they sound incredible instead I felt, why should I pay more when i can get the same or better effect from a cheaper set of speakers.

The room should have been shaking the bass should have been i don't know how to describe but heart pounding. I think it has to do with the movie and the sub, they were using marantz and some blue ray player, so i was surprised to not hear what I was expecting.

I may go back and try to watch another movie or something. The dealer is trying hard to say that the new 700 series is better, but i do end up buying them I will go with the A4L.com deal. Hopefully they will have another sale and can get them for $730 as some others were able to get them.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm going to assume you like the 990 and just replaced it with something newer?

It also sounds like the 991 for under 450 is a good deal as long as I can get past my refurb issues. It does have a 1 year warranty which instills some confidence. Plus with the 991, I can get back into vinyl since it has phono inputs.

My concern with the 4's is too much bass for home theater as I'm in an apartment and I really don't want to annoy the nice lady downstairs. I'm sure musically they would be outstanding.
I just had too many AVR. I had a 990 and two 3310 in my closet. They are all great.

I hate refurbs, but you may already know.

I don't think the NHT 4 has too much bass for movies. Without an active XO/Amp, I think the Four goes down to 40Hz @ -3dB. With an Active XO/Amp, I think it can go down to 30Hz @ -3dB.

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
I just had too many AVR. I had a 990 and two 3310 in my closet. They are all great.

I hate refurbs, but you may already know.

I don't think the NHT 4 has too much bass for movies. Without an active XO/Amp, I think the Four goes down to 40Hz @ -3dB. With an Active XO/Amp, I think it can go down to 30Hz @ -3dB.
The 4 does seem to be the way to go as I'll be using these speakers for many years. Although getting the Absolute Towers with the 2c center, the Denon receiver and a nice entry level turntable would cost me just slightly over 2000, which was my original budget.

I've had good experiences with refurbs except anything that produces a picture, both of those were disasters.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The dealer is trying hard to say that the new 700 series is better..
People always say that, don't they? :D The latest is always better, especially if you buy them; then they are much, much better with improved soundstage, more precise imaging, clarity, and air, and all that blah, blah, blah. :D

One guy told me at first that he couldn't tell the difference between the 802D2 vs 800D2 (neither could I). But a year later he bought the 800D2, and now all of the sudden the 800D2 is just so much better than the 802D2. :D

Like the Revel Performa3 is just so much better than the Performa2. And so every newer speaker model from every brand is just so much better than the previous. :D

Law of diminishing returns, anyone? :D

Last edited:
J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
No, i think there has been an increase i think its gone up by $100 or so, I am not sure but i can confirm this through the dealer.

I know, I am all over the place, my reasoning is this, that if people are saying infinity p363 is good, then fry's have them on sale every so often and I won't be loosing much buying them vs. with polk people say they sound hollow, muddy etc, but I can;t hear that or I was simple liking the sound because of how they were set up compared to the focal.

The focal were great, but not to a level where I could say, I should pay really pay more to get these as they sound incredible instead I felt, why should I pay more when i can get the same or better effect from a cheaper set of speakers.

The room should have been shaking the bass should have been i don't know how to describe but heart pounding. I think it has to do with the movie and the sub, they were using marantz and some blue ray player, so i was surprised to not hear what I was expecting.

I may go back and try to watch another movie or something. The dealer is trying hard to say that the new 700 series is better, but i do end up buying them I will go with the A4L.com deal. Hopefully they will have another sale and can get them for $730 as some others were able to get them.
I'm all over the place as well, not necessarily a bad thing. If you are looking mostly for home theater, you can't go wrong with the Primus line and a good sub. Musically I'd go with the Focals. I'd also ask if you considered NHT with the sales they are having? 20% off even package deals.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis