Focal 726 vs NHT Absolute Tower vs Monitor RX6 vs PSB Image T6

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I'm still considering it, the problem I have is the centers I would be interested in are too wide for my TV stand, at least with the equipment that is in there now. They are 26 inches wide and even with moving dvd players, cable boxes, etc. the best I could come up with is 23.
Have you tried e-mailing John? If you e-mailed him and told him that you only had 23 inches to work with he might be able to come up with something for you. Just a thought.

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
Have you tried e-mailing John? If you e-mailed him and told him that you only had 23 inches to work with he might be able to come up with something for you. Just a thought.
And not a bad thought, guess I'm just used to what you see is what you get.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I've always had good dealings with John in the past. As long as he's not too busy he's really easy to work with. If he is busy it could be a few weeks. Can't hurt to ask though :D

R

robb99

Audioholic Intern
I'm looking at a new front 3, hoping to keep it under 2,000 total.

I'm also considering Source Technologies.

The four candidates I've come up with are roughly the same price. I know that I should demo but my initial question is more about placement. The speakers will be placed next to a TV, corner walls are not an issue but I would like to keep the speakers within 24 inches preferably 18-20 inches from the rear wall. I am currently in an apartment so aside from not wanting bass to get boomy, it simply cannot.

I have been leaning towards the NHT because of the ease of placement and if I move up from the Absolute center, I'm at a 3 way center. The towers do not go as deep as the other brands so I'm not completely sold on the NHT.

The speakers will be used more for home theater but musical performance is more important.

Seating area is roughly 11-12 feet from speakers depending upon speaker placement.

Thank you in advance for anyone that can comment on sound quality in general or ease of placement.
I was in about your shoes then I reconsidered the 2000ish range and went for the 1200 to 1400 range. I bought the focal 814v and 800v center from A4L. I figured that they were a great fit and price, now I would spend more but if I did I would take it up quite a level and be spending 5k plus. But for what I got I am very satisfied.

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
I've also rethought my 2000 budget to now include about 500 for a receiver, probably something from A4L, or Newegg as they seem to have some nice sales.

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
These Focals seem like they would be easy to drive with their high sensitivity. I'm pretty sure but just checking if a Denon AVR-991 would be a nice match.

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
Excellent, I see on the Focal website they are going to have a new black color due in July, maybe that is why the price has dropped?

I've put them in the cart, I just need to pull the trigger, I might just do that after walking the dog.

S

sid369

Audioholic Intern
Excellent, I see on the Focal website they are going to have a new black color due in July, maybe that is why the price has dropped?

I've put them in the cart, I just need to pull the trigger, I might just do that after walking the dog.

Jim - where does it say that there are going to have the new black color, and where are you seeing price drop? which website are you buying from?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Crappy pic of my Focal 716v in the Havana finish:
Congrats!

I prefer darker glossy colors. They look shinier. :D

I can see the TV reflection on your Focal. Seems like piano high gloss. I like it.

Matt34

Matt34

They arent as shiny as the picture leads you to believe. Im going to get the good camera out and natural lighting and retake some pics.

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk 2

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

Ooops. Wrong thread.

....:D I wanted to play
Those are also pretty. Love shinny, in case you guys didn't know. :D

1010i sub + EMP do look really nice.

CEA Standard (THD <10%, except for BIC sub) 2 Meters SPL @ 20/32/40/50/63 Hz:
$500 EMP ES1010i: 85.0/97.0/102.5/106.0/105.0
$1,200 RBH SX-12: 87.7/108.0/111.1/113.7/112.7

I think 103/106/105 dB is good enough for 40/50/60Hz outdoors 2M. Room gains could be well over 110dB.

Last edited:
ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
I'd be ALL OVER THEM if they had a better 10" in there and more power. I'm almost thinking about picking them up and just playing around with them. I wonder how 2 of the es1010i's model because whatever subs I got with...they'll be a pair! :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'd be ALL OVER THEM if they had a better 10" in there and more power. I'm almost thinking about picking them up and just playing around with them. I wonder how 2 of the es1010i's model because whatever subs I got with...they'll be a pair! :D
2 subs would give another 3dB more output + room gain.

They do look really great sitting next to the towers.

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
Jim - where does it say that there are going to have the new black color, and where are you seeing price drop? which website are you buying from?
It's on the Focal site. I didn't see an additional price drop but they seem to be selling for 1200 a pair and they originally listed for 1800 if I remember correctly.

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
Yes those EMP's really look good nice and shiny, lots of woofers, and then 800 a pair somehow makes them look even better.

Makes me want to move to a larger place so I can have an excuse to have more setups.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Yes those EMP's really look good nice and shiny, lots of woofers, and then 800 a pair somehow makes them look even better.

Makes me want to move to a larger place so I can have an excuse to have more setups.
Or you could be like ADTG and pack as many pairs of speakers as humanly possible into the size space you have :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis