M

mtbiker

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Hello,
&nbsp;I'm just getting started on building my first home theatre. &nbsp;I'm on a very strict budget. &nbsp;I found out about the Fluance speaker form some reviews on Cnet and audioreview.com. &nbsp;The reviews were overall good with and ephasis on value. &nbsp;Good sound for the money. &nbsp;Any of you have any experience with this company?

Thanks
Mark</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>I've never listened to them, but comments from those who have and also opened them up say they only use 1/2 inch material (MDF or particle board I'm not sure which).

IMO, that is too thin for a speaker cabinet, minimum should be 3/4 inch MDF material .  When it is that thin (1/2 inch), it's likely to have resonance frequencies from the speaker cabinet itself that aren't part of the music.

I would look elsewhere.</font>

M

mtbiker

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Thanks for the input.  I was looking at their 5 speaker set the AV-HTB set.  I can get them for $199 plus shipping of $50.  Can you recommend another speaker system in that price range that has gotten some good reviews?  I'm a newbie at this and broke, so please bear with me through all my questions.  

Thanks
Mark</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Can't recommend any that I have personally listened to, but the site here has some discussions on Axioms and Atlantic technology you should read.  You can also think about buying used.

I'd also look at www.onecall.com for Name Brand speaker closeout sales.  They frequently have great prices on Atlantic, Klipsch, Energy, and others.  

The key will be to understand how much power the speakers need, as this will dictate what you buy for an HT receiver.

The higher the speaker's sensitivity (like 92 dB sensitive) the less amplifier power is needed to get higher volumes (Klipsch is well known for this) and the less money the receiver costs.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
G

<font color='#000000'>Hello, check out this site on cent they gave the fluance system 7.1 out of 10 and was an editorials choice</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>http://shopper.cnet.com/4014-6467_9-20984105.html</font>

MtB

MtB

Audiophyte
Fluance HTB

I've never listened to them, but comments from those who have and also opened them up say they only use 1/2 inch material (MDF or particle board I'm not sure which).

IMO, that is too thin for a speaker cabinet, minimum should be 3/4 inch MDF material . When it is that thin (1/2 inch), it's likely to have resonance frequencies from the speaker cabinet itself that aren't part of the music.
I just ordered a set, so I'll post when I've heard them and tell you how they sound. They're arriving Monday (missed the delivery attempt today), and I don't expect great, but for $200 I'm interested to see how good they sound. Most of the people I've seen say to stay away from Fluance both haven't heard them and recommend $1000 speakers instead. I can't afford $1000 speakers and IMHO, its not a fair comparison at any rate.

I'm curious to see how good they sound for the money, not compared to HiFi speakers though.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis