V

voyaging

Enthusiast
On my CD player, there are two outputs for Fixed or Variable, which should I pick?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Use the "fixed" outputs if you don't want the volume to be dependent on your CD player, or use the "variable" outputs if you do want to change the volume using the controls on your CD player.

P

PeterWhite

Audioholic
On my CD player, there are two outputs for Fixed or Variable, which should I pick?
The variable output is helpful if another music source is louder or softer than the CD. You can then adjust the CD's output to match that other source. Then, every time you switch between the CD and the other source, you don't need to adjust the volume.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
The variable output is helpful if another music source is louder or softer than the CD. You can then adjust the CD's output to match that other source. Then, every time you switch between the CD and the other source, you don't need to adjust the volume.
There you go. The volume control on the CD player is used to match it to another input source so that they have the same volume when you switch from one to the other. You would still control overall volume at the preamp. Use the variable if want to do that kind of level matching and the other output if you don't.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I don't have a volume knob on my CD player.
Are there volume controls on the remote control? Perhaps there is a way of adjusting the volume on the CD player that isn't done with a knob.

What is the model number of your CD player? I think that you mentioned that it is an NAD.

V

voyaging

Enthusiast
Are there volume controls on the remote control? Perhaps there is a way of adjusting the volume on the CD player that isn't done with a knob.

What is the model number of your CD player? I think that you mentioned that it is an NAD.
I don't have a remote with it. It is an NAD Compact Disc Player 5340.

J

jamie2112

Banned
Well in that case I am going to say use the "fixed" outputs, as you have no way to control your output.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Well in that case I am going to say use the "fixed" outputs, as you have no way to control your output.
I didn't find a manual, but from pictures on eBay, it looks like the volume control is indeed on the remote control only. So, ya, do what Jamie suggested. Either that, or use either one - the output level from the "variable" output will just depend on whatever the internal volume level is set at.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis