First time surround sound help

M

Miller3200

Audiophyte
I was at best buy yesterday and was looking for a surround sound system when I saw this... Sony LBT-ZX99i Muteki Hi-Fi Music Stereo System 720w. After playing around with it and cranking it up I was very impressed. None of the actual surround sound systems sounded as deep and loud as this system. My question is for the money should I go with this or a cheaper 5.1 system? I want ipod capabilities and loud clear music and movie watching. Just wondering because the sony isn't a 5.1 and I dont know how movies would sound coming from it. My limit is $600 and im not sure I can match the sound of the Sony Muteki which I can get for $520. Thanks for any help

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Hi there! Welcome to the forum :)

I never like to steer people away from something they've heard in person and really liked. If the Sony system is what you really want, then that's ok. All that's important is that you're happy with your purchase!

That said, for a max $600 budget for movies, games, music and iPod connectivity, personally, I would opt for something different that you likely have not considered because the products I'm about to recommend are not often found in stores, and it's only possible to put the following system together within your budget by taking advantages of online prices ;)

I'd start with the Onkyo SKS-HT540 7.1 speaker package. I have remained very impressed with this inexpensive speaker package over the years. The speakers are larger than you might expect, so just be aware of their physical size as these are not the tiny speakers that are so common in other packages and HTIB systems at this sort of price point. The larger size means better sound though. Louder output capabilities, and some actual bass that allows the speakers to cross over seamlessly to the subwoofer. And speaking of the subwoofer, the little SKW204 subwoofer that comes in this package always manages to still bring a smile to my face. It's so inexpensive, but it plays its little heart out and does an admirable job of filling in the deep bass. For $255 shipped, I still know of nothing better in terms of a complete surround speaker package.

To power all those speakers and connect to all of your sources and your TV, the best deals by far are going to be in choosing a fully authorized, factory refurbished AV Receiver from accessories4less.com

Do not let the "refurbished" part turn you off. These all come with a full 1 year warranty, and many of them are actually brand new. Denon and Onkyo use accessories4less as their fully authorized online clearance website. So a lot of times, the products are brand new and simply being cleared out of inventory when new models are introduced.

Personally, I'm a big fan of Audyssey auto-setup and room EQ. I favor getting the highest "level" of Audyssey that you can. As you go from 2EQ to MultEQ to Mult EQ XT and finally MultEQ XT32, each progressively higher "level" of Audyssey takes a greater number of measurements, plots a greater number of data points and creates an increasingly more accurate EQ for your room and speakers. I recommend avoiding 2EQ because it does not EQ the bass, which is where you need EQ correction the most!

With that in mind, I highly recommend the Denon AVR-1712 for $240

The AVR-1712 is a tremendous value and comes with Audyssey MultEQ XT - the 2nd highest level of Audyssey - which is just unheard of at this price.

The 1712 does not support an iPod connection natively, but you can add an optional iPod dock for $35

I think an even better option is to get an AppleTV! It would still fit within your budget ;)

There's also the option of the AVR-1912 for $300, which has a front iPod ready USB port and there's an available AirPlay download so that you can use AirPlay directly with just the AVR-1912 and an Ethernet network connection. The 1912 steps down to Audyssey MultEQ though, so that's why I like the 1712 + separate iPod dock solution better. But the choice is there :)

Anyways, that is certainly the system I would buy if I were in your position. I hope you'll find this info useful!

M

Miller3200

Audiophyte
Thanks

Thanks for the fast response and great information. I decided against the Sony unit and to go with a true surround sound system. I checked out the system you recommended and think that I might actually get that. You seem to know what your talking about an I read some great reviews on both. Only problem is running all these wires so you can't see them, now that I'm adding 2 more speakers. Also my buddy is advising me to get 2 subwoofers with my system... Do you think this is nessesary? Any other advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks again I'm going to look into your recommendations alittle more before deciding. Hopefully I'll be ordering tomorrow.

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Two subwoofers are almost always a good idea, yes. It isn't about being able to play louder though. It's more about being able to get more even bass response (no bass notes sounding way louder or way quieter than others due to the way bass bounces around any room and sometimes "doubles up" or "cancels out" at certain bass notes when the sound waves "line up" in just the right way with the reflected sound waves that bounce off of the walls interfering with the sound waves that are coming directly out of the subwoofer). You also get this more even bass response at a greater number of seats. When you have just one, primary seat to worry about, if you are very careful with where you place the subwoofer, you can often get it so that you have no giant dips, and only a couple of peaks. The peaks can be brought down with EQ. Audyssey MultEQ can do this automatically, which is a big reason why I like it so much ;) When you have only one subwoofer though, there is no avoiding having some big dips at other seats. And if your placement options are limited for where you can put the subwoofer, even with just one seat, you might get big dips. EQ cannot fix dips in the frequency response. Dips happen when the sound waves that bounce off of the walls "double back" and cancel out the sound waves that are coming from the subwoofer. So no amount of increasing the output is going to help! The sound waves at that frequency are still going to just cancel each other out :(

So adding a second subwoofer can really help with that. With two sources of bass (both playing the same thing, but just in two different locations), if the output from one subwoofer gets cancelled out by a reflected sound wave off of a wall, you have the other subwoofer to "fill in" that dip for you.

You still have to be careful with placement. The mere presence of two subwoofers doesn't automatically mean more even bass response across all of your seats. What you will usually want to do is have the two subwoofers directly opposite one another. So one subwoofer on the front wall, and the 2nd subwoofer on the back wall. Or one subwoofer on the left wall, and the 2nd subwoofer on the right wall. Having them opposite one another like that usually works out well. Not 100% of the time, but it's usually the best way to start ;)

Since the SKW204 is so inexpensive (only $90 from accessories4less! :eek: ) , it would barely put you over budget to add a 2nd sub! Hard to argue with that!

That said, most people only use 1 subwoofer and are perfectly ok with it. Most people aren't super critical in their listening and don't really notice that some bass notes are louder or quieter than the rest. And a lot of folks don't invest in running 2 or 4 subwoofers until they are using much more expensive and larger subwoofers. But at $90? It is very hard to say it is anything other than a great idea! Two inexpensive but still pretty darn good subs like the SKW204 can actually perform better than a single subwoofer that costs more than the two SKW204 combined! It's all about the room acoustics, and no lone subwoofer is immune from reflecting bass waves. So I have to agree with your friend. Two subwoofers are not necessary, but it is certainly very often beneficial. And with the price of the SKW204 being so low, it's kinda hard to resist.

You should be aware that you do not HAVE to use all 7 speakers just because you have them! In fact, in many situations 5 speakers are actually better. Again, it all comes down to room acoustics.

Look at the THX guidelines for how to place your speakers. Notice how the "surround" 4th & 5th speakers are actually supposed to go directly to either SIDE of your seats. Not behind, as so many people mistakenly think. They are "surround" speakers, not "back" speakers like so many people mistakenly think they are. The surround speakers are also meant to go up high. About 2-3 feet above your head when you are sitting down. All of this is to mimic the speakers that you would find in a movie theater. You've probably noticed that in a movie theater, the side walls are lined with speakers, and those speakers are way up high ;)

Now, those surround speakers to your sides and up high will do a great job of enveloping and surrounding you with sound, just like a movie theater. It is only when you have AT LEAST 4-5 feet of space behind you that you might start to notice a little bit of a "gap" directly behind you in the surround sound field. That is where the 6th & 7th "surround back" speakers come into play. They go directly on the back wall, also up high, and they fill in that full surround field so that it truly goes all the way around you. But you only need those 6th & 7th speakers if you have a good amount of space from the back of your seats to the back wall behind you. Like I say, AT LEAST 4-5 feet of space, and more like around 8 feet or more, to be honest. If you use the surround back 6th & 7th speakers with less space behind you than that, it can actually sound worse! You don't want any speaker that close to your ears. They'll just draw way too much attention to themselves. Surround effects are meant to create ambience and the occasional sound effect. Not scream, "Hey! I'm a speaker playing right into the back of your head! Forget the action on screen and pay attention to ME!!!" That's a bad thing ;)

So yeah, don't be afraid to use "only" 5 speakers if that's what your seating position calls for. You are not obligated to use all 7 speakers and all 7 amps in the receiver, simply because they exist. Also, you never have to worry about "missing" sound in any 7.1 recordings. If you use 5 speakers, when you are setting up your receiver, you simply set the "surround back" channels to "none". That tells the receiver that you are only using 5 speakers. And if you play a 7.1 soundtrack from Blu-ray or something, the receiver will automatically reroute the 6th & 7th channels to your existing 4th & 5th surround speakers. So no sound ever gets "lost". It just gets rerouted. No worries.

I'm glad you found my reply helpful. I have been an avid home theater enthusiast for many years now. Honestly though, I still find the most enjoyment in "beginner" systems. There's just something so exciting about starting fresh and building that first, great home theater! That's why I hang out here. Once you get to your 7th complete system like I'm building now, and $3000 each speakers and receivers and such, which is the sort of gear I'm saving up for these days, truthfully, it's a HUGE case of diminishing returns, and it's more about agonizing over minutia and chasing after "perfection" than it is any real, substantial improvements. The beginner and entry and first step into genuine HiFi systems are where there's the most excitement, to be honest. The improvements at each phase are so large and exciting! And you can really see and hear where your money is going, instead of getting to the point where each so-called "upgrade" is really more about hearing something "different" than outright "better" ;)

For $600 though? This Onkyo speaker set and a Denon 1712 is just killer. I mean, it honestly bowls me over just how good a "beginner" system can be these days for so little money, relatively speaking :) And being able to even have dual subwoofers right off the bat at that price point? Amazing. It's the reason I come here. I've wasted SO much money over the years. So I love to try and pass along that knowledge and save other folks from my regrets. If I'd started with a system like this rather than the $450 HTIB that was my first system and didn't even last me a year? Yup, I would have been much further ahead. So this is a great start for you. And your next system, should you ever decide to buy one, can skip right past an "entry level" system and go right to some genuine HiFi! That will save you a lot of money in the long run. And in two steps, you'll be where I was at step 4! And you'll have saved THOUSANDS of dollars over what I spent in order to learn that lesson ;)

As for hiding wires, never forget that you can often tuck speaker wire right along or even behind your baseboard. If your baseboard is white, just get some white speaker wire like this speaker wire from monoprice

Another great option for "hiding" speaker wire out in the open is to use flat, paintable speaker wire. Axiom Audio and FlatWire both offer flat, paintable speaker wire. It's a bit expensive, so the best way to use it is to run regular speaker wire as far as you can, and then transition over to the flat wire anywhere the regular speaker wire would be a visible eyesore ;) Parts-Express also has flattened, white speaker wire. It's not the super flat, paintable wire like the Axiom or FlatWire kind, but it's a lot flatter than normal wire, and a great, affordable way to hide speaker wire along baseboard.

Hope that helps!

M

Miller3200

Audiophyte
Thanks again...

Again I really appreciate all the help... I am going to order everything this Friday. Do you recommend the 14 gauge wire for this system? Also is there anything else I need for adding another subwoofer? And maybe some speaker shelves? Thanks again you are making this much easier for me, I was getting overwhelmed for awhile.

M

Miller3200

Audiophyte
?

Also I noticed the Onkyo SKW-204 is out of stock at accessories4less. Should I Look somewhere else or look for this particular sub?

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
You're most welcome! I'm happy to help and very happy to hear that you're going with this system! I think you'll be really pleased when you hear it in action.

I will say, study those THX speaker placement guidelines that I linked to. Follow them as best you can. And also study the user manuals that go along with the speakers and the Denon receiver. You might have to go online to Denon's website to get the full manual. Most receivers don't come with a full manual these days in the box. Just a "quick start guide". Sometimes the full manual comes on a CD. But it's never a bad idea to check the website. Sometimes there are updates or addendums ;)

Anyways, yes, I saw that accessories4less is now out of stock on the $90 SKW-204 subwoofer. They had one left in stock last night, but I guess someone else snatched it up ahead of you :eek:

I highly recommend using identical subwoofers when you use two, so it will cost a little bit more from another retailer, but I would definitely recommend that you stick with getting a 2nd SKW-204. Electronics Expo has it for $119 (the lower price shows up when you add it to your cart). They charge about $20 shipping on top of that though.

Amazon has it for $141.75 at the moment I'm writing this, with free shipping. So that's basically the same total price as EE. Both are fully authorized Onkyo dealers, so you'll get a full warranty.

Prices fluctuate on the SKW204 a lot though. And there's a decent chance that accessories4less will get more of them in stock. If the $140 price from EE or Amazon is too high right now, I'd recommend that you simply keep an eye out and check accessories4less and do a Google product search frequently. It's tough to justify paying $50 extra just to have it right away. If that $50 extra is no problem at all for your budget, then by all means pick one up! But you can certainly "suffer" with just the one SKW204 that comes in the SKS-HT540 package for now ;) Keep an eye out and buy th second SKW204 when you find a good deal! That's what I'd do, anyway :)

The SKS-HT540 comes with some speaker wire, I believe. But it's really thin, not very high quality stuff. I'd highly recommend getting your regular speaker wire from Monoprice.com and using the flat wire from parts-express, Axiom or FlatWire in the spots where you need it.

Don't get anything thinner than 16 gauge (the higher the gauge number, the thinner the wire. Seems kinda backwards, I know :p ) 14 gauge is usually a good compromise with this system. A bit thicker than 16 gauge, but still thin enough to be easy to bend and route where you want it, and easy to fit into the speaker connections on the back of the Onkyo speakers! 12 gauge is great for longer runs of about 40 feet or longer, but it can be a bit snug trying to fit it into the connectors on those speakers. So I'd recommend sticking with 14 gauge or 16 gauge if it's a short distance.

I recommend just using the bare wire to connect to the speakers, but it's very nice to use banana plugs to connect the speaker wire to the back of the Denon receiver. It's just much more convenient and way easier than dealing with the binding posts and bare wire back there.

I use the Monoprice banana plugs . You can get 5 pairs for less than $10! And if you want to connect all 7 speakers, two more pairs are only another $3.34 ;) I much prefer the closed screw style myself. You get a better, more secure connection to the speaker wire with those. Watch the video that Monoprice provides on the banana plug product page to see how to connect your speaker wire to the banana plug properly. So yeah, grab 5 or 7 pairs of those to connect to the Denon receiver. And just use bare speaker wire to connect to the speakers. Easy :)

For connecting your subwoofers, you will first need to split the subwoofer output from the Denon using one of these Y-splitter cables . Then you simple run a subwoofer cable to each subwoofer. Get whatever length of cable you need in order to reach each subwoofer. And it's a good idea to get a couple extra subwoofer cables of different lengths. You might find that the best spots for your two subwoofers in your room are not the first places that you expect to place them, so you might need a different length of subwoofer cable at that point. Monoprice's prices are so low there's really no reason not to get some extra cables when you order ;)

That should be it! I'm excited for you. Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions. And please come back and let us know how you like your new sound system!

Last edited:
M

Miller3200

Audiophyte
I agree with you and I'm gonna wait for a good deal on the second sub. So here is my list of online purchases... 200' of 16 gauge wire, y splitter, couple different lengths of sub cable, bananna plugs and I'll have to look for a way to mount my speakers to a wall. Oh yeah and the receiver and speakers.. Ha. Thanks for all your help I'm gonna do alot of reading on placement and setup. Maybe I'll post some pics when im able.

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Excellent!

Sounds like a great plan. I think you've got everything you need for now on your list :)

The smaller surround and surround back speakers in the SKS-HT540 package are meant to be wall mounted, and come with standard keyhole mounts on the back. So mounting them is easy! Just put a screw in the wall (I'd suggest using those plastic wall anchors straight into your drywall) and you're all set for those. If you don't want speaker wire to be visible running up your wall to those surround speakers (again, meant to be 2-3 feet above your head when you're sitting down, but not closer than 2 feet from the top of the speaker to the ceiling), you can use some of the paintable flat wire that I've mentioned. The Axiom flat wire is especially easy to use for this since it has adhesive on the back already and you can just paint right over it with minimal visibility, or plaster over it and then paint to make it totally invisible!

The front Left, Right and Center speakers are quite large and over 8 inches deep though. They are NOT meant to be wall mounted. Use speaker stands for those front 3 speakers if you don't have anywhere else to put them (such as a TV stand or entertainment unit). I don't know if you were only talking about wall mounting the surround speakers, or if you were talking about mounting the front 3 speakers as well. But yeah, the surround speakers are very easy to be wall mounted. They're meant for that and have the keyhole mounts already. The front speakers should NOT be wall mounted though. I'm sure you can find an alternative if wall mounting the front 3 was your original plan. You'll understand once you see them. They're just not on-wall speakers what-so-ever ;) Parts-express.com, HTMarket.com, Amazon and Best Buy are all good places to look if you need speaker stands. Keep in mind that with the front 3 speakers, you want to try and get the tweeters as close to the same height as your ears when you're sitting down as possible. So keep on mind that the tweeter in the Front Left & Right speakers is just a little over 8 inches from the bottom of those speakers. That means you'll want to use a stand that's about 24-28 inches tall for those. And since the Center speaker will either be above or below your TV, there's typically no way to get its tweeter at seated ear height. That's perfectly ok. Just tilt the speaker either upwards or downwards as necessary so that the front of the Center speaker is "aiming" at your face when you're sitting down. Some little pieces of foam or rubber or even rubber door stops are a great way to tilt the Center speaker as needed. I'll often use mouse pads as a way to cushion and decouple front speakers. And you can cut little shims out of mouse pads in order to tilt the Center speaker, too ;) Again, if you end up using a speaker stand for the Center speaker, just remember that it's about 6.5 inches tall, so keep that in mind so that you do not have the Center speaker blocking any part of your television screen! If you have a standard 22 or 24 inch tall TV stand, typically, the TV's base will be about 2 inches tall, and then there's the TV's frame, althought TV frames are getting thinner and thinner these days. I typically don't like to block any part of the TV's frame from view, so a 16 to 18 inch stand would likely be best for the Center speaker, depending on the height of your TV stand ;)

Other than that, you should be good to go! Pics would be great! Or a video!

I'll look forward to reading your impressions.

Best of luck. Congrats on getting this great "beginner" system. And don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions :)

M

Miller3200

Audiophyte
Another quick question : ) I want Internet access on my tv now that I'm going to have surround sound. I want somethin small that will help me talk the wife into it. Mac mini maybe? Just want to be able to watch hbo go and YouTube mostly. Any thoughts buddy? Thanks

M

Miller3200

Audiophyte
Too excited! I want to show off my system when I'm finished and Ive seen all these thx intros on YouTube... Can I play those and have it be true 5.1? Or is there a bluray disc that has all those thx intro/demos? I've seen some pretty cool ones I'd love to have. Thanks again buddy

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Cool!

Yeah, if you want to get on the internet for HBO Go, YouTube, Netflix, Vudu and other services, there are a number of good choices. I think you'll definitely want to check out StreamingMediaDevices.com for their awesome, up-to-date chart that compares pretty much all of the streaming set top box options out there!

You'll notice that the Xbox360 is actually the most complete in terms of the number of streaming services that are available on it. It isn't exactly the most home theater friendly device though. It's still a bit noisy and puts out quite a lot of heat. It does have an optional remote control, but a lot of the streaming apps are still set up to use the standard game controller and will list "X, B, A, Y" buttons and such. If you already have an Xbox360, hook that sucker up for sure! But if you're trying to sell the wife on it, that might be a bit tougher :p

If you went with the Denon AVR-1712, you're going to need a way to connect your iPod anyway. That could be a good excuse to get an AppleTV in place of the iPod dock. The AppleTV would give you AirPlay for connecting your iPod and for streaming any content off of your computer from your iTunes library. It will also give you YouTube, Hulu Plus and Netflix. The AppleTV will NOT get you HBO Go though. So for that, you could add either a Roku or a Boxee Box. They have slightly different lineups in terms of the services they can access, so check the chart to make sure you can get what you want! The Boxee Box has Vudu access, for example, but not Amazon. Flip that for the Roku.

If you're getting the $35 iPod dock with you Denon 1712, the Boxee Box has the services that you mentioned specifically (YouTube and HBO Go). Boxee is missing Hulu Plus and Amazon, which are pretty big deals. But if you don't use those services, you won't miss them. And Boxee has all the other biggies. The Boxee Box also includes a full web browser, which might be nice to have, and it can stream content off of your computer over your network as well. It's a pretty darn good set top box.

So if an Xbox360 is a no go, I would probably go with either the combo of an AppleTV and a Roku (and no iPod dock for the Denon, since it would be redundant with the AppleTV), or the combo of the Denon iPod dock and a Boxee Box.

I use a Home Theater PC myself. And connecting a Mac Mini would be a similar idea. But using a full PC and a regular web browser to access all of these streaming services isn't quite the "sit back on the couch and watch TV" experience that a lot of people are going for. You still have to use a wireless keyboard and mouse, or muddle around with an app on your smartphone that turns it into a pseudo trackpad and keyboard. And the web versions of all these services are not formatted for a TV. You're literally just using your TV as a big computer monitor, so think about how all of these things look in your browser and then imagine that on your TV! Probably not quite the look and feel you're going for, right?

So I'm generally more in favor of using these set top box devices and the apps that are included for all these streaming services. The on board apps are formatted for a TV screen and are programmed so that you can control them with a remote, rather than a keyboard and mouse. It's just an easier experience, and the set top devices are small and cheap, so they have a leg up on a full HTPC or Mac Mini in that way too ;)

As for getting full 5.1 surround sound. The set top boxes themselves are almost all technically capable of 5.1 digital audio output. Sadly, many of the services themselves still only use 2-channel stereo for most of their content. Vudu has the most 5.1 content, and they actually use Dolby Digital Plus for very high quality. Netflix and Amazon have some 5.1 content, but most of it is still just 2-channel, I'm afraid :eek:

You can, of course, use the Dolby Pro Logic IIx listening mode in your Denon receiver to turn any 2-channel sound source into 5.1 or 7.1 playback. But it's not quite the same as a dedicated, discrete Dolby Digital or DTS 5.1 soundtrack.

As for YouTube, you're only likely to find stereo there. I'm not aware of any disc that you can buy that has all the various THX intro animations on it in full quality. That's a great idea though! I'm betting someone out there has made a BitTorrent of them though ;) So you could try searching for that. If not, I'm not sure. You could maybe try writing or calling THX directly? Who knows? Maybe they could help you out, or point you to some full quality downloads. Or you could just use the YouTube versions with Dolby Pro Logic IIx running. It's still pretty impressive that way ;)

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
There is an hbo go app on the app store- don't know if it is AirPlay compatible but every thing else I've downloaded is- if so, youll be able to stream through ATV.

M

Miller3200

Audiophyte
?

Hello again buddy Im hooking up my system today and realized I didnt have enough audio cable for one of my subs. I went down to radio shack and bought a 12' extension, but returned it because it wasnt the same diameter as the stuff I bought from monoprice. My question is; is it worth buying this THX certified audio cable for $40 if im just splitting it at the reciever with the smaller diameter y splitter cable. Not sure...thanks

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Sweet! Can't wait to hear your impressions!

I'm a bit confused... Are you saying you returned the RadioShack extension subwoofer cable just because it wasn't the same outer thickness as the Monoprice subwoofer cable? Or do you mean that the actual plugs were not the correct type?

If it was just that the cables themselves are different thicknesses on the outside, that's nothing to worry about. Most of the time, it's just the outer plastic or rubberized jacket that's a different thickness. And even if the copper cable within is a different thickness, that really doesn't matter for such short distances as what you'd be using inside your room. All that matters is that the plugs are the correct types. If you just need to extend one of the subwoofer cables because the Monoprice one isn't long enough, any cable that has an RCA male plug on one end and a female RCA plug on the other is fine. Or you can get a standard male-male RCA cable and just use a coupler (two female RCA plugs end to end) to join the Monoprice cable and the new cable together.

There's never any reason to buy expensive cables. As you can see with Monoprice, perfectly high quality cables can be had for very very low prices. You're just paying for convenience and not having to wait for a delivery at a local store. But yeah, any RCA plug cable from RadioShack, Best Buy or Home Depot is fine if you need/want it right away. And you'll just need a male-female cable if you want to extend an RCA subwoofer cable that you already have. Or you'll need a standard male-male RCA cable plus a coupler to join the two cables together.

Don't worry at all if the outer jackets are different thicknesses. And also don't worry if the new RCA cable you buy is color coded yellow or orange or purple, green, blue, whatever. Composite video, component video, stereo analogue audio, digital coax audio, subwoofer - they all use the same type of cable and plug. So don't worry about looking for a cable that's specifically labelled as being a "subwoofer cable". Any cable with RCA plugs is fine.

Hope that helps!

M

Miller3200

Audiophyte
Thanks for the reply bud... I ended up buying the more expensive cable and a coupler. Worked out good prob paid way to much but whatever it's hooked up and sounds awesome. It's a whole new experience watching movies. Only problem is I think my fish dislike the power of the subwoofers making the water vibrate :) I love the sound and the bigger look of this system I thank you for helping me out so much and recommending this setup. Hopefully I can get a video uploaded and send a link. Thanks again buddy

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Oh, you're so welcome :)

I'm so happy to hear that you're enjoying your new sound system! Makes it all worthwhile :D Those "little" Onkyo subwoofers are pretty great, eh? Can you believe you can get those for $90 when they're available from accessories4less, or as part of such an inexpensive 7.1 speaker package?! Now you understand why that particular subwoofer always manages to bring a smile to my face ;)

Very much looking forward to any pics, vids or written impressions! Isn't it great to have an impressive system that you can feel good about showing off to your friends? :D And I always say, when folks find out the price, that combo of products pretty much sells itself! Don't be surprised if some of your friends end up with systems that look and sound suspiciously "similar" ;)

Enjoy! And thanks so much for coming back to the forum and sharing your thoughts.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis