First time speaker build

S

shedevil86

Audiophyte
Hey,
What would be the best type of speaker to build for a first time project?
I'm currently studying sound design technology at uni, I'm just about to enter my final year. I decided I want to build a speaker for my final major project.
But I dont really know where to start, or what would be the best type.
Thanks in advance
Roxy

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The Dayton BR-1 is a complete kit intended for starters and for teaching speaker building.

Are you talking about building something from scratch? I would start with a kit first and once you have the idea, you can think about doing your own design IMO. The hardest part about building from scratch is designing a good crossover and selecting the right drivers.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
If you build it, it will sing.

I second the kit idea. It's a great place to start.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hey,
I'm currently studying sound design technology at uni, I'm just about to enter my final year. I decided I want to build a speaker for my final major project.
Thanks in advance
Roxy
You are at University studying sound design technology in your final year and you don't know where to start designing and building a loudspeaker?

I find something very troubling about this situation.

Please enlighten me on your syllabus of your course work.

I suggest you do not use a kit and learn the principles involved. I'm ready and prepared to thrash them into you if your professors can't or won't.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
He is at UNI, what do you expect?:D:eek:
You are at University studying sound design technology in your final year and you don't know where to start designing and building a loudspeaker?

I suggest you do not use a kit and learn the principles involved. I'm ready and prepared to thrash them into you if your professors can't or won't.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I know it shouldn't matter but it's 'she' ... ;)

skyline_123

skyline_123

Audioholic
Here’s one of the best lists for fully documented DIY builds I know of from the good folks at Parts Express.

Here’s a nice list from Home Theater Guide website on some of their fully documented builds. This list is nice because they've got a pictures with a short description of the speaker and from there, you can click on the actualy link for more details.

Another link to some VERY nice builds. These are going to be a bit pricier but will give you great ideas for fancy cabinets.

Here’s a good post by Swerd that gives a little insight to beginners on designing a speaker.

Welcome to the forum and please keep us informed if you decide to build anything. I really enjoy seeing pictures of other peoples progress so make sure to document it. Good luck!

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja

Geeeez, with the negativity. I have a good buddy that is an electronic arts major with extensive studies in video reproduction and last I checked, He can't build a TV.

Most "sound" applications don't require the knowledge to actually build a loudspeaker, just the know-how to use the available tools correctly. I say good for her for wanting to learn this aspect of her field and further her education.

Shame on you for the discouragement and your "Our education system sucks" agenda. I, for one, find it extremely offensive.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Shame on you for the discouragement and your "Our education system sucks" agenda. I, for one, find it extremely offensive.
Odd that I saw an encouraging offer to help and find his style boisterous and amusing ... but that's probably because I'm uneducated and crude. Our education system does suck. You can't expect colleges to work miracles with the high school graduates they have to choose from. I love watching the Doc give 'em hell. :D

Speaker Building 201 by Ray Alden has a variety of speaker projects and is somewhere past my ability to easily understand and way past my level of discipline to actually read through ... for now. :rolleyes:

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Hey,
Thanks in advance
Roxy
Well you've come to the right place for assistance. Building a Speaker is just like any other engineering project. It has a requirements, design, implementation and testing phase. The first questions to answer are what are the requirements for the speakers?

Functional:Does it need to reproduce down to 20 hz or is 80hz good enough?

Non functional:What is the overall budget?

Once you know these you can begin exploring the design phase. But knowing your requirements is vital to having a successful project. Also be sure to submit them for reviews to someone who is knowledgeable on the subject.

Budget is a huge limiter and to have a good project you should force yourself to stick to a realistic one. Once you know the budget then we can talk about drivers, crossovers, materials etc.

L

Loren42

Audioholic
Bravo! Spoken like a real engineer! :)

Well you've come to the right place for assistance. Building a Speaker is just like any other engineering project. It has a requirements, design, implementation and testing phase. The first questions to answer are what are the requirements for the speakers?

Functional:Does it need to reproduce down to 20 hz or is 80hz good enough?

Non functional:What is the overall budget?

Once you know these you can begin exploring the design phase. But knowing your requirements is vital to having a successful project. Also be sure to submit them for reviews to someone who is knowledgeable on the subject.

Budget is a huge limiter and to have a good project you should force yourself to stick to a realistic one. Once you know the budget then we can talk about drivers, crossovers, materials etc.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Odd that I saw an encouraging offer to help and find his style boisterous and amusing ...
Well, I guess we'll see if OP returns... If not, at least we can agree that boisterous and amusing is counterproductive concerning our newbies. I typically don't have a problem with it, but when its a new individual that might be eventually be a nice contributor given her field... oh well..

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Tile haze....
Well, I guess we'll see if OP returns... If not, at least we can agree that boisterous and amusing is counterproductive concerning our newbies. I typically don't have a problem with it, but when its a new individual that might be eventually be a nice contributor given her field... oh well..

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I agree.

Doc, I can understand your impatience with people who like to be spoon-fed with advice, but perhaps we could cut her some slack until/unless she abuses the generosity of Forum members?

Because "Sound Design Technology", as an occupation title couldn't be much more vague, I googled it to find out what it involves. This is what I found:

University of Hertfordshire

Sound Design Technology BSc Hons

The course:

"You explore the latest digital audio hardware, software and programming packages and are involved in sampling sequencing, mixing, editing, recording and digital signal processing. You study MIDI protocols, MAX programming, as well as internet audio, with a focus on the production, development and applications of sound design and audio technology, sound effects and manipulation. The programme runs in parallel with the BSc Honours Music Technology.

This course enables you to explore the nature of current sound and music technologies, utilising the latest digital audio hardware, software and programming packages. You will investigate topics such as sampling, sequencing, sound editing, recording, digital signal processing, MIDI protocols, MAX programming and internet audio, ensuring that you will be equipped with the knowledge and hands-on experience expected of today's professionals.

The development of technical expertise is central to the philosophy of the courses and the role of the technologist sits between those of the hardware software engineer and the creative artist. In one direction this allows the delivery of effective systems for users, and in the other, aids artists in the realisation of creative works.

Year 1
This introductory year provides you with a foundation in the use of music and sound technology, including aspects such as MIDI, sampling and sequencing, mixing and processing, fundamentals of sound and vision, electronic audio and visual systems and programming principles.

Year 2
From the technological foundation of the first year, you develop such aspects as advanced sampling, hard-disk recording, sound and media, digital capture and manipulation, networked multimedia processing, content creation and manipulation.

Final Year
Much of your work will be built around a major project relevant to the programme you have chosen. This can take the form, for example, of the production of a multimedia CD-Rom, the development of an original piece of software, or the recording, editing and production of an audio CD.

Careers
You can expect to develop a career in hardware/software system specifications, world-wide web based music creation and delivery or technical support within the music industry (eg in sound reinforcement and recording, multimedia installations, or for music studios/production companies).

Soud Design - Film/Television/Radio/New Media"

I don't see any mention of loudspeaker design in there. I don't know if that's the same, or similar to what she's studying, but I don't think it's her fault if it's not part of the course content.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
That is just going to get you in trouble. :)

This thread has more info on DIY speakers than any thread I've seen on an actual DIY speaker plus an offer of presumably college level tutoring in speaker design. I'm pretty sure that if I could convince adwilk that I was a girl he might actually build me a DIY speaker. :p

BTW, the OP hasn't logged in since posting the thread. ;)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I agree.

Doc, I can understand your impatience with people who like to be spoon-fed with advice, but perhaps we could cut her some slack until/unless she abuses the generosity of Forum members?

Because "Sound Design Technology", as an occupation title couldn't be much more vague, I googled it to find out what it involves. This is what I found:

University of Hertfordshire

Sound Design Technology BSc Hons

The course:

"You explore the latest digital audio hardware, software and programming packages and are involved in sampling sequencing, mixing, editing, recording and digital signal processing. You study MIDI protocols, MAX programming, as well as internet audio, with a focus on the production, development and applications of sound design and audio technology, sound effects and manipulation. The programme runs in parallel with the BSc Honours Music Technology.

This course enables you to explore the nature of current sound and music technologies, utilising the latest digital audio hardware, software and programming packages. You will investigate topics such as sampling, sequencing, sound editing, recording, digital signal processing, MIDI protocols, MAX programming and internet audio, ensuring that you will be equipped with the knowledge and hands-on experience expected of today's professionals.

The development of technical expertise is central to the philosophy of the courses and the role of the technologist sits between those of the hardware software engineer and the creative artist. In one direction this allows the delivery of effective systems for users, and in the other, aids artists in the realisation of creative works.

Year 1
This introductory year provides you with a foundation in the use of music and sound technology, including aspects such as MIDI, sampling and sequencing, mixing and processing, fundamentals of sound and vision, electronic audio and visual systems and programming principles.

Year 2
From the technological foundation of the first year, you develop such aspects as advanced sampling, hard-disk recording, sound and media, digital capture and manipulation, networked multimedia processing, content creation and manipulation.

Final Year
Much of your work will be built around a major project relevant to the programme you have chosen. This can take the form, for example, of the production of a multimedia CD-Rom, the development of an original piece of software, or the recording, editing and production of an audio CD.

Careers
You can expect to develop a career in hardware/software system specifications, world-wide web based music creation and delivery or technical support within the music industry (eg in sound reinforcement and recording, multimedia installations, or for music studios/production companies).

Soud Design - Film/Television/Radio/New Media"

I don't see any mention of loudspeaker design in there. I don't know if that's the same, or similar to what she's studying, but I don't think it's her fault if it's not part of the course content.
Well if that is the course the OP is talking about, then the course is misnamed. It is a sound production course.

Further, designing and building a speaker does not fit the description if what is required for the major project for the final year of that course.

So I remain puzzled and concerned about the original post and its intent.

If this is a genuine student request for assistance with a class project for credit and required for course completion, the student should explore and prepare the ground before posting. Certainly not start with "I don't have a clue." That is just going too far in my view and beyond the pale.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis