First Time questions

S

S_Muss

Audiophyte
So I'm setting up my first basement as soon as it is done and i just have a couple questions that hopefully you guys can help me with.

I currently have a 7.1 pioneer VSX 917X reciever and a 10 inch klispch sub.

I guess my question is since i really dont need a 7.1 system in my medium sized basement should I use the pioneer and klispch sub I have and purchases some speakers. Or is there value in purchasing a all in one 5.1 system?

any information will be greatly appreciated.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Just get five speakers. No new sub is required.

Subs are pretty universal and can easily be mixed and matched with virtually any brand of speakers.

My suggestion, it music has any place in your system, is to search for the two front right and left speakers. Bring MUSIC to audition them, not movies.

When you find a pair that sounds good on music, go for them, and the matching center and surrounds from the same manufacturer/line.

Any speakers can sound impressive with the boom/tizz of movie soundtracks, particularly action movies with a lot of action.

It takes a speaker with finesse to do music well.

If a speaker can do music well, it can do movies well. The opposite is not true.

Once the speakers are installed in your system, blending your current sub will not be a problem.

T

Tom V.

Audioholic
Generally speaking separates tend to offer better performance than the HTiB systems...esp if a little research/planning goes into things.

Which model sub do you have? If it seems enough for you, you should be able to swing a nice little energy/jbl/polk 5 piece set <$500 with careful shopping.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis