First time buying a HT - frustrated

R

Romulus

Junior Audioholic
Do you ever get the feeling there are TOO many choices? :D

I've had my eye on a HT setup for a few years now.. I swore when I bought a house that I'd buy myself a decent system. Well, I have a house now and am not much closer to plunking down my allowance to buy anything.

My main problem is I don't think any particular speaker sounds much better than any other, to be quite honest. I have quite a critical eye when it comes to photography (my main hobby), but I swear my ears just aren't that picky. I've listened to my dad's klipsch cornwall speakers, some 600 b&w's at a local store, definitive, paradigm, and perhaps some others in stores like best buy (infinity, etc). I was ready to buy when I listened to the b&w's, but I just couldn't tell myself that they sounded all that great :confused: They are very nicely priced at under 400 a pair and 600ish for the sub, but they didn't evoke any emotion from my favorite cd's while I listened.

The one thing that I have concluded is that I DON'T need to spend a ton of money since it doesn't make a difference to my ear anyhow.. Should I just go with a very affordable, but quality system (ie those smaller systems from axiom, 600 b&w, etc) and be done with it?

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
If you have a critical eye, but non-picky ears, I would suggest going for some well regarded speakers that are affordable, but that look great to you. :)

W

whitestone

Audioholic Intern
Do you ever get the feeling there are TOO many choices? :D

I've had my eye on a HT setup for a few years now.. I swore when I bought a house that I'd buy myself a decent system. Well, I have a house now and am not much closer to plunking down my allowance to buy anything.

My main problem is I don't think any particular speaker sounds much better than any other, to be quite honest. I have quite a critical eye when it comes to photography (my main hobby), but I swear my ears just aren't that picky. I've listened to my dad's klipsch cornwall speakers, some 600 b&w's at a local store, definitive, paradigm, and perhaps some others in stores like best buy (infinity, etc). I was ready to buy when I listened to the b&w's, but I just couldn't tell myself that they sounded all that great :confused: They are very nicely priced at under 400 a pair and 600ish for the sub, but they didn't evoke any emotion from my favorite cd's while I listened.

The one thing that I have concluded is that I DON'T need to spend a ton of money since it doesn't make a difference to my ear anyhow.. Should I just go with a very affordable, but quality system (ie those smaller systems from axiom, 600 b&w, etc) and be done with it?
First decide on your price range and then let your ears decide. Honest. I'm building a system from some quality advice but it takes time. Let us know what your price range is and what you like.

R

Romulus

Junior Audioholic
First decide on your price range and then let your ears decide. Honest. I'm building a system from some quality advice but it takes time. Let us know what your price range is and what you like.
Sounds like a starting point..

$2500 is the most I'm willing to spend on speakers (I'd like a 5.1 setup), receiver, cd player, and cables.. The closer to the total comes to $2000 the better.

The system is going in a 15x15ft room with a vaulted ceiling and is open on the rear left (if you were to stand and look at the tv which is centered on one wall) to another room. I am 50/50 music/movies.

I don't listen to anything extremely loud, but would like a nice, very full sound with anything I play.

Thoughts? :D

I appreciate the input

W

whitestone

Audioholic Intern
A starting point for the set up. 1000 for the speakers,500 for the reciever,250 for the dvd player and 250 for cables and accesories. Imho.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I'd budget a bit less for gear and put a bit of that money towards room treatment. A 15 x 15 square room is gonna have some serious problems acoustically. Square is about as bad as it gets.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Don't rush. I'm sure it took some time to develop the critical eye of a photographer and applying learned principles and technics probably helped. Audio is no different. Do some reading and research here and take that newfound knowledge with you as you audition speakers. Eventually, you should be able to hear differences and build your own preferences and prejudices. There are many threads here from people that simply don't know where to start. Read as many as possible and listen to as many speakers as possible. I'm sure your ears will come around.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
I'd budget a bit less for gear and put a bit of that money towards room treatment. A 15 x 15 square room is gonna have some serious problems acoustically. Square is about as bad as it gets.
I just want to endorse Rob's post. The quality of sound in your room is 90% speaker choice combined with room acoustics.

Nick

UFObuster

UFObuster

Audioholic
Don't rush. I'm sure it took some time to develop the critical eye of a photographer and applying learned principles and technics probably helped. Audio is no different. Do some reading and research here and take that newfound knowledge with you as you audition speakers. Eventually, you should be able to hear differences and build your own preferences and prejudices. There are many threads here from people that simply don't know where to start. Read as many as possible and listen to as many speakers as possible. I'm sure your ears will come around.
That's right!
Don't be afraid to go modest either. Remember, that a playback system is just a means to appreciate the art of the musician. Stay focused on what you LISTEN to and not what you play it thru!! Soon, the art of the music will begin to make demands on your playback equipment...the same as photography requires tools to create images that are pleasing to you. As you work along this path...you'll find where you need to be....go slow...and gradually trade up as you feel the need. Get anything that sounds good to you now...enjoy it...then keep on going.....just like photography.
Roger
Enjoy!

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

To reiterate, a square room is about as bad as you're likely to find, but it's not insurmountable. A good package of room treatments can mitigate the problems very effectively. You can ignore the room but doing so will put a hard cap on the quality of sound you're going to get.

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
Has the original poster listened to hi-end speakers? If you hear a "reference" system, it gives you an idea of what good sound is. A good stereo store should have set ups that give you an ah ha moment. Not that you can afford the ah ha moment but at least get a sense of what speakers you like.
I would spend spend spend on those front speaks and go from there.

R

Romulus

Junior Audioholic
I listened to a pair of studio 100's the other day, about 2200 a pair. I thought they sounded nice, but like I said before, I don't think my ear cares too much :D
Saturday I'm going to make a trip around town and listen to all the speakers we have locally at once, I think that will be better than listening to one set one week, another the next week. I'm going to check out klipsch (I've had a promedia setup on my computer for the last 4 years, so I think I've gotten used to the sound of a horn vs tweeter), b&w again, paradigm again, and possibly definitive tech.

Report to follow.

B

billnchristy

Senior Audioholic
Dude if you can buy cheap speakers and be happy with them just do it!

Why drive around endlessly searching for "the one" when they all sound the same?

The Numenorian

The Numenorian

Junior Audioholic
I think a lot of general things have been said, but with your price range and interests stated I think that the SVS speakers would be great for you.

http://www.svsound.com/products-spks-sbs01.cfm

I use two of the surrounds for my rear left and right, and I also have the center channel and their PB10-NSD subwoofer, which sounds unbelievable for its price. Rather than using the surrounds for front mains, I decided to buy floorstanding speakers with a bit more power. Some standard Klipsch or Paradigm may get the job done well for you, and add some nice visual strength to your setup.

For a receiver, I recommend a Yamaha RX-V2500, 2600, or 2700, depending on your needs and the prices you can find on them. (I have the 2500 myself- a powerful receiver, but a bit dated in terms of HD video abilities.)

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/avreceivers/rxv_rxz.html?CTID=5000300&CNTYP=PRODUCT

I've had this setup for well over a year and never experienced any issues, and have been very pleased with the ability of the receiver to flatten and standardize the response levels of the speakers. The SVS speakers are particularly tough and perform well at high volumes, which is great when I'm watching action movies. And since SVS is a high quality American company, with great guarantees and service (even returning customer discounts), you shouldn't worry about returns or warrantee issues. Just make sure you buy your receiver, regardless of brand, from a dealer you know you can trust- online or not.

I was able to acquire my entire system for about $1800, with the receiver well under retail price. If you're patient enough to look around and buy separates, you can truly get some good deals. Best of luck, and good hunting.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis