H

Harrison20

Enthusiast
So ready for my first real system. Right now I have a pioneer elite vsx-80 hooked up to my 58 inch panasonic with Polk RTi's and a polk center. Been fun but I want something with a little more juice for music. Pretty much settled on the aperion grand verus towers and center (at least for the home demo period) and the emotiva XPa-3 amp to drive them and will use my pioneer as the pre-pro for right now until I add rear speakers, (for which I want in wall/ceiling speakers). Just would like any thoughts on this setup as I am really green. Current input devices are a roku, playstation 3, laptop, cable box, CD player, and maybe a turntable depending on how far I take this. Suggestions? additional equipment I would either need or should desire?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I think that would make a pretty good setup, but to fully consider your options, I have two questions:

Why no subwoofer?
If you are in an apartment or like to watch movies late when your kids are going to sleep, it makes some sense to not have a sub, The Aperions have marginally good extension for music, but they will definitely come up short if you like to feel the rumble of a low flying space cruiser or the stomp of a dinosaur.

How big is the room you plan to put this in?
If it is a large room and if you like to crank it, you will definitely need the XPA-3. However you Pioneer appears to have a decent amp section. Note that Tom Andry reviewed these speakers using a 100W, 7 channel receiver (rated for 8 ohms).

I'd suggest you buy the speakers first, hook them up to your Pioneer, then evaluate what you need - additional amplification, a sub, both, or neither!
$600 will get you a pretty good subwoofer if you decide the amp is not required.

Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned
What kew sead I've had all my gear for a few years now an just decieded to amp my towers

H

Harrison20

Enthusiast
should have mentioned

I already have a sub and maybe I am just tone deaf, but I can't tell a huge amount of difference between my $200 Polk sub and others much more expensive. I probably will wait awhile on the amp and just see how it sounds on the pioneer first. But I'd like to move that and the pioneer to the bedroom.

Thanks for your help guys

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I already have a sub and maybe I am just tone deaf, but I can't tell a huge amount of difference between my $200 Polk sub and others much more expensive. I probably will wait awhile on the amp and just see how it sounds on the pioneer first. But I'd like to move that and the pioneer to the bedroom.

Thanks for your help guys
Which other, more expensive subs have you listened to?
I have never listened to the Polk subs, but they are generally disparaged around here.
After you get your speakers, find some music which has good articulate bass, kick drum, etc. Listen to it with and with out your sub. Obviously the sub is going to add plenty of low frequency output, but you want to listen to see if the sub blurs the notes together or not. My guess is you will find the notes are much more distinct with the sub disabled.
I know a couple of people who disable their (inexpensive) subs for music and turn them back on for HT. It takes a pretty good sub to not allow notes to overhang and these are not easy to find on a tight budget!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis