First Projector project

J

jjeckelxz5

Enthusiast
Hello, I'm planning to do a projector/theater setup in my basement within the next couple of Months. The space is 11.5ft x 23.5ft x 7ft. I'm thinking a 100 inch screen would fit the space nice leaving room for floorstanding speakers on the sides and about 34 inches underneath for the center channel and subwoofers and leave about 4 inch above the screen. I would like to do a bigger screen but I don't think I would have room for the speakers. What do you think?

I'm also looking for suggestions on a projector. It seems like the Epson 5030UB is a popular choice. Thoughts?

Thanks

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Unless you plan on sitting at 23 feet, I would rotate the room and sit at about 11' and then you would have plenty of room to put in 110" screen, speakers, and the rest.

If you only are able to fit 100" screen, then you still have a room that doesn't have a couch sitting in the middle of it. Maybe that works better for you, maybe not.

The 5030 is a nice projector, IMO the HW40ES from Sony is a better choice.

Here's the kicker: Both are designed for home theaters. I say this because a light colored room with light carpet and white ceilings and light colored paint won't be ideal at all. Especially a white ceiling with only a 7' height.

The rules of home theater are dark, dark, dark, dark. Dark flat paint on the walls and the ceiling. Dark carpet. If you want some nice finished trim in the room, then paint it black with dark colors for the rest.

Lighting is another important consideration. Since watching the game with the 'guys' may be a bit awkward with the lights all out, you should plan lighting so that you have directional lighting which is zoned over all the different seating areas and throughout the space. Sconces are nice looking, but should be completely off when the theater is in use. Ceiling cans are the way to go for lights on when things are fired up.

No windows, or complete window isolation is a real must.

J

jjeckelxz5

Enthusiast
Thanks for the response. I was able to demo the Sony 40ES and Epson 6030 this weekend and thought the Sony picture looked better and is what I will likely be going with.

The reason I'm planning to do the screen on the 11' wall is so I can add a second row of seating in the future.

I painted the wall where the screen will sit a flat black and the other walls a flat brown. The carpet is a light brown and will be replaced with a darker color in the near future. There are 2 windows in the room that will be completely blacked out.

How much do you think a white ceiling will affect the picture quality? I have a drop ceiling which would be difficult to paint. Maybe I can just spray paint it if it will have a negative affect on the picture. Would positioning the screen lower to the ground help?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Positioning lower to the ground will help some, but there are many who have painted their grid, or have bought black tiles. Another option is to use dark fabric pulled tight to keep a 'clean' look to the space, but easily can be removed if you ever move. I use black flat sheets on my walls in my basement to deal with the unfinished silver over insulation that is right next to my screen. Unfortunately, the ceiling being white is worse than the walls because of how large it is and the relation it has to the wide screen. But, it isn't that difficult to deal with if planned for.

Good call on the Sony.

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
How much do you think a white ceiling will affect the picture quality? I have a drop ceiling which would be difficult to paint. Maybe I can just spray paint it if it will have a negative affect on the picture.
Personally, a white ceiling would drive me nuts. If I was in your situation, I'd maybe remove all the tiles, paint the grid some sort of matte black, and swap out the tiles for some nice black acoustic panels (there are LOTS of fun options out there for HT) or simply paint them the same matte black as the grid. Either way, it'd be worth the effort IMO.

C

chadnliz

Senior Audioholic
White ceilings are in no way a deal breaker but your eyes will determine what you want. I have a light colored theater and may paint it a warmer darker color at some point but its been 8 yrs so its no rush. I run a 100in screen in a 13x24 room..screen is 5ft from rear short wall, its a electric pull down and I sit 12 ft back...plenty big. I woulda went bigger but my drop ceiling dictated that size as I didn't want screen close to floor.

C

chadnliz

Senior Audioholic
You will use 3d about 5x then maybe never again.:)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis