First projector for HT

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Hi,

Need an advice on not expensive but good quality projector and screen. Not sure even where to start from. I got 4.2 audio system with oppo 103, yamaha av860. My sofa is opposit the window and this is the only place i really can put some rolling screen really.

Any suggestions?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
There is no 'decent' roll up screen really. They all get waves in them because they aren't held tight. A fixed frame is far, far, far better.

The best quality projectors under $1,000 are the BenQ HT2050 and the Epson 2040. They are inexpensive, and produce a quality 1080p image for not a lot of cash.

If you read about almost any other model which is far less than them, they are likely lying to you. There are some okay $600 units out there, but not as good as the Epson/BenQ. Nothing cheaper I have seen is what I would consider 'good quality', period.

https://www.amazon.com/BenQ-DLP-1080p-Projector-HT2050/dp/B016JYOQ3W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482252265&sr=8-1&keywords=benq+ht2050

For a screen, this is the way you should go...
https://www.amazon.com/STR-169120-Silver-Ticket-120-Diagonal/dp/B00CYLOTPK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482252296&sr=8-1&keywords=silver+ticket+120+screen

But, if you must use a roll up, then I would stick with something inexpensive if you can of acceptable quality.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/609659-REG/Mustang_SC_M106D16_9_SC_M106D16_9_Manual_Projection_Screen.html

You may have issues getting a larger size for a decent price, and at any price, it will develop waves in the material with manual pull down screens.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
BenQ W1110 is the Euro version of the HT2050 from what I recall.

I believe the Epson 5300 is the Euro version of the 2040.

You should pay most attention to reviews and nothing about advertising. The biggest difference between the BenQ and the Epson is the use of DLP technology (BenQ) vs. LCD technology (Epson). At this price point, DLP will have faster response time and will produce better black levels than LCD. LCD will be a touch brighter (maybe) and will have zero chance for any RBE (Rainbow Effect) issues.

Both are solid models, and I've owned both LCD and DLP as have countless others. Most people do find the image from DLP a bit better overall at this price point, which is why the HT2050 is so popular. A solid entry level model.

But, the 5300 or W1110 are solid choices and can handle an image up to (or beyond) 120" diagonal just fine.

Really though, the single biggest improvement you can make to any front projection setup is the room itself. Remember the last cinema you went to that had windows and was painted white with white ceilings? Either do I. Dark walls, dark ceiling, dark flooring is the single biggest improvement and impact you can have in any front projection setup. Just like acoustics are the most important thing in quality audio.

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Thank you. That was really helpfull! Will go for epson model i think. Hsve not decided on screen. Fixed one wont work for me. It is rolling electro or msnual.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Thank you. That was really helpfull! Will go for epson model i think. Hsve not decided on screen. Fixed one wont work for me. It is rolling electro or msnual.
There is ZERO advantage of an electric screen vs. a manual screen unless you get a tab-tensioned electric screen, which will run around $1,000 or more. Closer to $2,000 for a better manufactured product.

Quality goes: Manual/Electric Roll up < Tab-tensioned electric < Fixed Frame

So, if you go electric, and don't get tab-tensioned, understand that you are just paying more for the motor, and not getting any added quality.

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Thank you again. Will probably go for manual one for now to save some money

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis