First Entry-level 2.1 setup

R

ruuuey

Audiophyte
Hello everyone! I am very excited to begin this journey of audiophilism(?) with everyone here on audioholics! Please teach me your ways! :D
A very brief intro: I am a dorming college student and I am hoping to graduate (haha) from the typical PC speakers (e.g. logitech).

I recently ordered a pair of Sony SS-B1000's along with a Sony STR-DH100 receiver (should be arriving Wednesday). These are planned for general use: music, movies and gaming (through both my PC and TV with a PS3).

After stumbling upon this forum, I wish I had discovered it sooner!
I have a couple of questions I hope this community can help me with:

1. Are the SS-B1000's adequate for a 13.5x9x8 bedroom? (Next semester I am moving into a similar-sized 12.5x10.5x8 room). BTW SS-B3000's are also within my budget. (I'm hoping to purchase some lower end equipment that could potentially be used as support in a larger setup in the future)

2. What are your suggestions for an active subwoofer [for the SS-B1000/SS-B3000's] that is crisp/clean but powerful-sounding for: music[top priority!], movies, gaming? (~$100 budget) (was looking at the Sony SA-W2500)

3. Is the Sony STR-DH100 receiver sufficient for powering the SS-B1000's? (Or SS-B3000's) Active subwoofers don't factor into this, do they?

4. How does this potential setup compare to Logitech's Z623? My buddies tried pushing me into getting those. Would I regret not getting the Logitech with this potential Sony setup?

5. Any other suggestions for an entry-level bedroom setup? I've been seeing a lot of Dayton recommendations... (Hoping to stick with the Sony's I already ordered, but may change if I'm convinced there's a better setup for the same price range)

6. Tangential question: How does a PC's sound card interact with a setup's receiver and etc?

As for actually setting up the system in the room... I'll refer to the many guides on this forum as much as I possibly can. ;)

Once again; Greetings and thank you!

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would read more on this forum and gain more knowledge on audio first before buying anything else.

Is it too late to return what you've bought?

1st, speakers are the most important. 2nd would be subs.

Most amps, AVR, pre-pro, preamps, DAC, CD/BD players with similar specs/measurements will sound the same to most people.

Cables/wires need to have good connectors, but don't waste money on exotics.

Most "audiophiles" don't buy any audio gears from Sony or Bose.

Don't buy HTIB (home theater in a box).

Save up money for when you graduate and get that "dream system", instead of upgrading 10 times.

When I was a junior @ my university, I bought some nice gears, but I put them at my parents' house in my old room.:D

No way I would put anything nice in a dorm.

When do you graduate?

Career 1st. House 2nd. Dream theater 3rd.

But you can plan now.:D

Imagine this. Your house has a room size 16' x 18' x 10' ceiling.

You have a 120" screen ($500) + projector ($2000).

You have 5 Philharmonic-2 tower speakers ($5000).

You have 2 Rythmik FV15 subwoofers ($2000).

You have a Denon AVR-4311 ($1700).

You have a $200 BD player that also streams Netflix & others.

You have a $400 tablet that functions as everything - universal remote, wifi remote, & everything a tablet/PC does. You control all your components, thermostat, lighting, PC, etc.

Now get busy studying, graduate, and get a career.:D

Dream about this in the mean time.:D

If you can't return those Sony, it's good enough for now.

Crackerballer

Crackerballer

Senior Audioholic
Welcome! So to start off, I will ask what is your budget? Let me try to address what I know by number:

1: Never heard of the Sony speakers, but I'd imagine you can get a better speaker for slightly more money (judging off the Google prices, not knowing your budget)

2: $100 is not going to get you a great sub. Your best bet would be to get some decent bookshelves with good lower extension or even pony up for some towers. There are several towers (Infinity P362, Polk Monitor 70) that go on sale frequently and can be had for $300 total that will be better than a cheap bookshelf/bad sub combo.

3:Sony is NOT known for their receivers. With all the sales on Pioneers and Onkyo going on, I'd cancel that order and pick up a nice VSX-821 if you can.

4:Logitech is more of a diet setup for HT in my opinion. Let Logitech do what they do best with regard to audio, and that's cheap computer setups that sound decent.

5: Above covers it

6: You will likely have to do 3.5mm to RCA unless you have optical out (unlikely). In the future, a good DAC would be the best route (plan on spending $100-$1,000 depending on how crazy you want to get)

Hope this helps!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
R

ruuuey

Audiophyte
I would read more on this forum and gain more knowledge on audio first before buying anything else...
Yeah my budget leaves me with much to be desired regarding home theater, and I definitely agree with your priority list, haha.
I'm actually graduating in the fall/winter, however I will have an additional 2-3 years in grad school afterwards.
With that in mind, I'm going to keep the things I already ordered and make due with that for the next few years of schooling I have ahead of me. (Will be a huge jump from these 10+ year-old 5w RMS pc speakers I've been using :eek:

I had a pretty firm belief that Bose was overrated, but is that the same for Sony?
Also, does one need to actually own some equipment to get an idea of sound quality and theories regarding it?

At any rate, I'm hoping to learn a lot from you all. Thank you, AcuDefTechGuy, Crackerballer and zieglj01 for taking the time to read and respond to the thread. Hope to catch you guys on the forum!

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I'll second zieglj01 suggestions. Later when you graduate and have more money you can by a snazzy new setup and still keep this one as your bedroom setup.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I had a pretty firm belief that Bose was overrated, but is that the same for Sony?
Also, does one need to actually own some equipment to get an idea of sound quality and theories regarding it?
I would not put Sony that low.:D

I've seen a $500 Sony AVR with better preamp measurements than a $2000 AVR. But I think the Sony amp sections may be overrated, whereas the amp sections from Harman, Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer, Yamaha seem more honest.

You don't have to own them; you just have to audition them. Compare your audition to The Audio Critic archives, which are free on line.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
1) return everything :eek:

2) Consider keeping it simple... This + This

The weakest link in the desktop system, is fan noise from the computer's power supply unit. With computers, always use a shielded cable too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis