Finding the right Subwoofer

J

JohnnyM22

Audioholic Intern
So since SVS has the one year trade up policy its possible I may do that at some point. Any thoughts on the PB and SB12NSD's. ShadyJ do you think either of these would give me more mid/upper level punch for electronic music? Or would I need to go to an even higher model? Just a thought

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
So since SVS has the one year trade up policy its possible I may do that at some point. Any thoughts on the PB and SB12NSD's. ShadyJ do you think either of these would give me more mid/upper level punch for electronic music? Or would I need to go to an even higher model?
Not really, SVS stated that the PB12 has a deep bass advantage over the PB1000, but not so much an upper bass advantage. SVS seems to also have said that the PB1000 outperforms the SB12. It looks like you will need to upgrade to the Plus to get a significant boost in mid bass output.

J

JohnnyM22

Audioholic Intern
Hm well I still have time to return it lol. I'm thinking maybe its worth the extra dough to get the VTF2 instead. Since its made such a big difference already to my system, having that VTF Q control might allow me to get the punch I want for music. The dayton package has free shipping though, that's still a temptation.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The Q control won't gain you punch, but the variable tuning might. It's no longer on a discount price though. If you really want mid bass punch, look at the Premier Acoustics PA-150. It won't have the deep bass performance of the VTF2 or PB1000, but its mid and upper bass output are far beyond those subs capability. The Dayton Titanic 4 should do great as well, but it still won't match the PA-150 for upper bass performance.

J

JohnnyM22

Audioholic Intern
Bah alright I may do that but I think I'm going to miss the amazingly deep, clean bass from this thing haha, it really is impressive. I think I'll probably just save up money to upgrade my speakers to something that fills in the missing mid/upper range bass. Thanks for the help again

J

JohnnyM22

Audioholic Intern
Things are going well with the SVS sub. Was wondering if either of you guys have experience with Ascend CBM 170se speakers? I might replace my BA A40s with them.

J

JohnnyM22

Audioholic Intern
Anyone thoughts on these? Might pull the trigger and order them soon.

J

JohnnyM22

Audioholic Intern
So I completely rearranged my room too maximize my sound system. In general it sounds great but I maintain my initial impression of the PB1000. It seems specifically designed for frequencies between about 50hz and 20hz and it does an amazing job at those. Its almost like after about 50hz it just opens up and delivers the goods.. and I can see why people love it for home theater. Its not quite what I wanted for the thumping bass of EDM or higher bass lines but its a learning experience for me. Wondering if any other owners have had a similar experience?

J

JohnnyM22

Audioholic Intern
I have a question, if the frequency response on the PB1000 is so flat why is it considered to perform best in the 'low' range? It looks flat until about 200hz is this still considered lower bass?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
So I completely rearranged my room too maximize my sound system. In general it sounds great but I maintain my initial impression of the PB1000. It seems specifically designed for frequencies between about 50hz and 20hz and it does an amazing job at those. Its almost like after about 50hz it just opens up and delivers the goods.. and I can see why people love it for home theater. Its not quite what I wanted for the thumping bass of EDM or higher bass lines but its a learning experience for me. Wondering if any other owners have had a similar experience?
Trying pulling the sub out a little from boundaries such as walls and or corners to see if it improves for you. If not, take a look at the Rythmik LV12-R if possible. I purchased mine about a month and a half ago and it was choice between the SVS PB1000 and it. The Rythmik will easily play as low as the PB1000 but it is also very tight and is an excellent choice for music even though the sub is ported.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
For pounding music above 40 Hz for $500, the Premier Acoustics PA-150 will be far better than the SVS or Rythmik subs. If you have some tools and some woodwork experience, for $500 you could do stuff that will even smash the PA-150's performance.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis