Finally, pre-orders for the PS3 begin...

B

Bigsilvs

Audioholic
Finally, pre-orders for the Playstation 3 begin at legitimate stores.

On Monday night 10/9/06 I came across a news story on Gamespot.com stating that pre-orders for the PS3 will begin the next day, Tuesday 10/10/06, at ALL Ebgames and Gamestop stores.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6159525.html

My local Ebgames opened at 10:00am so I decided to get there at 6:00am. When I arrived, to no surprise, there were 3 people in line already. Everyone was all bundled up and sitting on lawn chairs because of the cold Wisconsin day. The first person in line got there at 11:50pm the previous day. It so happened that particular store was able to pre-order six units. I was able to pre-order the $599 version with ease. Only waiting 4 hours, I left very happy!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Count me in as well... I showed up at my local store at about 9:40 and the store had already told me they were getting 16 units (2 of which the store retains for employees legitimately)...

9:40 - the store was already open so people didn't have to wait outside and I was able to preorder. About the 10th one or so to preorder. About five minutes later a few others had shown up and they were all gone.

Biggest thing? NO LINE! It took ten minutes out of my day to get my PS3 preorder and in a month - when the temp drops 30 degrees, I won't have to wait outside at all for my PS3. Just walk in, pick it up, have a nice day.

I'm really psyched on how it all went down, but hopefully people that had lousy store issues are calling EB/GS corporate to talk about their issue.

B

Bigsilvs

Audioholic
After I reserved my PS3 there were numerous people that came later that were mad because they were on the call list and never called. This whole miscommunication by Gamestop/Ebgames worked out great for me because no one really new about reserving them on Tuesday morning. I guess the employees only found out a day or two beforehand also. I thought Gamestop/Ebgames were suppose to be better organized with the PS3 reserves because they screwed up the Xbox 360 reserves so bad?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Most stores received their allocation numbers a day or two before preorders went up, but had no clue at all about the actual preorder date.

The email from corporate went out on Monday evening - around 6:00PM. If the stores had a call list, they had to FIRST read the email from corporate that identified the preorders starting the next day, then they had to stop helping customers in the store so they could call people. Not likely to happen. In fact, many stores didn't actually read the email until the following morning when they went in to open up or after the store had closed that evening - typically to late to respectfully call someone at home.

EB/GS laid out very specific rules by which preorders were supposed to take place as well. The store could hold two, and only two, units for 'employee' purchase. The store must give preorders on a walk-in, first come, first served basis. No holding units for friends, family, call-ins, etc. There are a number of stores that violated this rule, and I imagine a number of people will be fired for actively going against that rule.

Anyone that showed up at 8:00AM and the store was locked up, then was allowed in at 10:00 and was told they had no preorders available should call EB corporate and complain. Make sure to know the store number/address/etc. But, EB/GS is much better prepared for this release.

As for 'call lists'. Those were instituted by some stores and were not sanctioned by corporate. So, nobody on any lists had any right to preferential treatment over anyone else.

I think it was handled very well. I know I was on a call list (#4) for a store, and did not get a call, but I was paying close attention online - especially at AVS where Oct. 10th was strongly rumored as the date for at least the past week.

Of course, now I have the keep/sell question running through my head. I really want to keep it, but I have a kid coming in mid-November, so I may not get to touch the system for 6 months anyway.

B

Bigsilvs

Audioholic
Well, here's an article for you if you haven't already seen it

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6159639.html?tag=latestnews;title;3

The big problem about eBay right now is that people are putting up to many "Buy It Now" options keeping the price around $1500-$2000.

I was never intending on selling my PS3, but everyone has a price I guess. My price would be $2500. It should get up to that price at launch day and maybe higher the first or second week of December.

Also, I was given a list of the launch titles by an Ebgames employee when I reserved my system. I was surprised to find out that 19 titles were going to be available. The employee also stated that the list was not complete so there could be more.

I also agree with you that Gamestop/Ebgames did handle the pre-order for the PS3 better than the Xbox 360, but only for the fact that they did not over reserve systems. If I was on the call list and didn't receive a call I would be mad too.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis