Finally decided to get a projector

F

Fowl

Audioholic
I have finally decided to put a projector in my HT room and need a few pointers. I have set a budget of $1500 maximum for the projector and screen. I would like to get a 106" screen.

The place that I have selected to mount the projector is on the back wall which will be about 11 feet from the screen.

I would like a suggestions as to the best projector and screen that I can get for that amount.

F

Fowl

Audioholic
Just a follow up, I contacted visual apex today and the customer service agent suggested that I get the Benq1070 or the Optoma HD25. They both seem like good unit, but I saw where they had a refurbished Epson 3010 R which I liked. However I am unsure which one is the best units, thus I need some direction. I have chosen the VAPEX9106 screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Any of them will work fine. The Epson is a touch brighter and has a little bit better contrast, but it is a refurb. If the warranty is good on the refurb then I wouldn't mind the Epson (I have an Epson and I love it). The only thing that the Benq has over the Epson is vertical lens shift. Lens shift is the ability to shift the image up, down, left, or right without moving the projector or distorting the image. That model Epson doesn't have any, the Benq has vertical and the Optima doesn't have any. Lens shift is definitely nice if you can afford a projector with it. I can tell you it made my life 100 times easier not having to prop the projector up and movie it around and around trying to find the sweet spot for it.

F

Fowl

Audioholic
Thanks I think I will go with the Benq1070 also it was on the list of Audioholics Consumer Best aAwards:D Now to fully commit to a screen:confused:

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks I think I will go with the Benq1070 also it was on the list of Audioholics Consumer Best aAwards:D Now to fully commit to a screen:confused:
Are you definitely going to go with a fixed screen? Will you build it yourself? How much is the BenQ going to run you?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I love my epson. Make sure whatever you get has plenty of lens shift and zoom range.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I love my epson. Make sure whatever you get has plenty of lens shift and zoom range.
I think they all have about the same zoom (I checked yesterday), but only the BenQ has lens shift and then only vertical.

F

Fowl

Audioholic
I want a motorized screen. Visual Apex gave me a quote of 1400 for
BenQ W1070 Projector
•Standard Electric Screen 106”
•Universal Flush Ceiling Mount
•One HDMI Cable 1.4 - 35ft
•Disney WOW Blu-ray Calibration Disc
•IR Repeater
•Universal Remote

Even thought they suggested that screen I wan to make sure that it is a good one as I want the best for my money, even though it may not be alot.

I cannot use a fixed screen as my GIK panels are mounted to the front wall. So the motorized screen will be mounted from the ceiling to fall in front of the panels.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I want a motorized screen. Visual Apex gave me a quote of 1400 for
BenQ W1070 Projector
•Standard Electric Screen 106”
•Universal Flush Ceiling Mount
•One HDMI Cable 1.4 - 35ft
•Disney WOW Blu-ray Calibration Disc
•IR Repeater
•Universal Remote

Even thought they suggested that screen I wan to make sure that it is a good one as I want the best for my money, even though it may not be alot.
Do you have a center speaker? Will it be blocked by the screen? Definitely don't go with a standard screen. Definitely get the tensioned screen. The screen quality will be ok, not great. I don't know if you can do much better without bumping up the price by quite a bit since you want a motorized screen. You may want to look at the elite screen cinetension2 screens as well. I will say that the wireless 12v trigger on the vapex screen is pretty awesome though.

F

Fowl

Audioholic
Yes I have a full surround system. My center speaker 3.2 feet from the floor. I would really like to mount this projector from the ceiling,perhaps using the extension mount.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Yes I have a full surround system. My center speaker 3.2 feet from the floor. I would really like to mount this projector from the ceiling,perhaps using the extension mount.
As long as the screen won't cover the center speaker or the L/R then the vapex will probably be your best/cheapest option for a motorized screen. I would highly recommend going with the tensioned model instead of the standard. I've tried both and for me it was a night and day difference.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Looks like its about the same as the vapex. If the vapex is cheaper just stick with that one.

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
I understand you wanting to save some bucks, but you don't want to buy one of these screens and be wondering 3 months down the road if you should have went with the tensioned. Something to think about.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I'm glad you said that. I thought I had mentioned that but I guess I imagined it. I originally bought an untensioned screen and I ended up returning it (I had other issues with the screen), but I ended up replacing it with the tensioned screen I have now and it is 100 times better.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis