Final Draft of COP21

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
That's the Climate agreement that was essentially signed off in Paris. Link. It's 31 pages. It doesn't include how reductions in carbon will be achieved and various monetary contributions, oversight or whatever. Those are to be determined at some later time. The audio industry can do their part by railing against any and all tube based products, low sensitivity speakers, etc. Oh, and instead of microwaving for a minute, try 59 sec.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The audio industry might be able to help environmental conservation by getting away from neodymium - here is why.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
I really don't care what Mongolia does or China or India wrt their environment. That's their problem

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
An unbelievably short-sighted and also inhumane perspective. It will impact the whole world. China's lack of concern for pollution already is- smog from China is impacting Japan, Korea, Hawaii, and even the east coast of the continental US. And we are encouraging their destructive behavior. And besides, its their people who suffer, people who have no control over the policies of their government, unlike the US.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
China will figure things out eventually. Maybe after they stop building bases on disputed islands. In the meantime, the audio industry's use of rare earths is dwarfed by that used in electric cars and wind turbines. It's their inhumane problem and they know how to remedy it.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I've always been conscientious about turning off lights around the place. I realized often I'd fall asleep while watching something and everything would be on when I woke. Now I use auto off and sleep timers :).

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
I've always been conscientious about turning off lights around the place. I realized often I'd fall asleep while watching something and everything would be on when I woke. Now I use auto off and sleep timers :).
Same here. I recycle, went with bamboo flooring, tend to keep the house on the cool side, and so forth. As far as the climate deal goes, how one could enter into it without also addressing population control/reduction and the unintended consequences of increasing longevity is beyond me.

Has anybody taken the time to read the link or at least skim through it?

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Same here. I recycle, went with bamboo flooring, tend to keep the house on the cool side, and so forth. As far as the climate deal goes, how one could enter into it without also addressing population control/reduction and the unintended consequences of increasing longevity is beyond me.

+1 on recycling.

One (non AV) thing I changed, cold/cold cycle instead of warm/cold for wash cycles. I also reduced the dryness level. Some times, I have to give it a few more minutes, but, I no longer open the door to clothes that are scorching hot.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
+1 on recycling.

One (non AV) thing I changed, cold/cold cycle instead of warm/cold for wash cycles. I also reduced the dryness level. Some times, I have to give it a few more minutes, but, I no longer open the door to clothes that are scorching hot.
IMO, dryers are best suited for towels. The rest of the stuff works best on clothes lines where you just can't beat that fresh air smell of things like sheets and the sun is just a great sanitizer. This is a little tough in cities and especially so in Beijing.

Not sure if India will ever get their pollution under control in my lifetime where untreated sewage runs rampant. Maybe they've genetically adapted to it.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
No, sorry. Kinda burned out on this. Too much to read a 31 page agreement. I wonder if any of the countries read it. But your cartoon is great!!!

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
John Kerry said,
“The fact is that even if every American citizen biked to work, carpooled to school, used only solar panels to power their homes, if we each planted a dozen trees, if we somehow eliminated all of our domestic greenhouse gas emissions, guess what – that still wouldn’t be enough to offset the carbon pollution coming from the rest of the world.

“If all the industrial nations went down to zero emissions – remember what I just said, all the industrial emissions went down to zero emissions – it wouldn’t be enough, not when more than 65 percent of the world’s carbon pollution comes from the developing world."

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Yes.
It's a political Dog & Pony Show.

It is a bunch of carbon-reducing promises made individually by the world’s nations.
No enforcement, no sanctions, nothing legally binding.

China promises to begin reducing carbon emissions 15+ years from now.
While India announced it will be tripling its coal-fired electricity capacity by 2030.
Meanwhile our current government is dismantling America’s entire coal industry.

China, the world’s greatest carbon emitter, admitted to having under reported its burning of coal by 17 percent. That's equal to the entire coal consumption of Germany.

The USA has to trust that China and India... the world’s largest carbon emitters will voluntarily implement restraints about 30 years from now, by which time the U.S. will have to reach a 26 to 28 percent reduction in greenhouse-gas emissions.

Last edited:
C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
And if I recall correctly, if you're a signatory, you can opt out after three years. In the meantime, the UN is still trying to decide if ISIS has committed genocide.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
TTP was mentioned in the 'I voted thread.'
Almost a year ago the hot topic du jour was, Final Draft of COP21

After re-reading this thread, COP21 turned out to be the usual Political Dog & Pony show.... another Seinfeld 'Show About Nothing.'

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis