Fiio X5 2nd Generation Digital Audio Player Preview

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Fiio have pulled out all the stops to release their latest DAP – The Fiio X5 2nd Generation. Sporting a brushed metal chassis, an all-new amp combination and DSD support, the 2nd Generation device looks to be yet another solid device from the electronics giant. Unlike the iBasso DX90, the 2nd generation X5 features a scroll wheel for navigation and a decent looking user interface.

Read: Fiio X5 2nd Generation Digital Audio Player Preview

Last edited:
S

SunnyD

Audioholic Intern
I brought this 3 days ago for the S/PDIF out. Best bang for your buck with that. Going to use this with my BiitTEN D and HT.

I

IEMPatel

Audioholics Inner Ear Monitor
I brought this 3 days ago for the S/PDIF out. Best bang for your buck with that. Going to use this with my BiitTEN D and HT.
Glad you enjoyed it Sunny, it's definitely a good purchase.

S

Stillman

Audiophyte
Hi, I am reading reviews for many of the high capacity audio players. I am wondering what computer software these players are compatible with? I have an Apple computer and I will therefore need a player that will be compatible with my non-PC computer.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
From the land of overly engineered and totally unnecessary toys. My last 3 generations of smartphones were successfully used as portable DAPs (Galaxy S2, S4 and now LG G4). current 64Gb microsd stores A LOT of flac files

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
From the land of overly engineered and totally unnecessary toys. My last 3 generations of smartphones were successfully used as portable DAPs (Galaxy S2, S4 and now LG G4). current 64Gb microsd stores A LOT of flac files
I have the x5 original but want to try and compare it with my Galaxy tab s2 as a dac. Do you know if the tab s2 can work as dac?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I have the x5 original but want to try and compare it with my Galaxy tab s2 as a dac. Do you know if the tab s2 can work as dac?
I think it will be close call, especially if you do level matching.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Every time I see X5 reminds me of my Cowon. IMO one of the best DAP's ever made. Fiio make great stuff. Maybe one day I'll pick one up. It's always a toss up between iBasso(make some nice little amps) and Fiio(Own the E11 amp. Love it).

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I think it will be close call, especially if you do level matching.
Sorry, I meant to ask you how do I connect the tab s2 8.0 as DAC? I misread your post, you did say DAP, not DAC. I was thinking DAC because I actually use the X5 as DAC and not DAP.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Sorry, I meant to ask you how do I connect the tab s2 8.0 as DAC? I misread your post, you did say DAP, not DAC. I was thinking DAC because I actually use the X5 as DAC and not DAP.
Hmm, you could use as Dac, but it won't be straightforward (as dlna renderer like this one for example: http://forums.androidcentral.com/android-apps/239379-app-arkmc-arkuda-media-center-dlna-application.html or just use Kodi for that) but much easier would be to use it as dap, just use 3.5mm audio out to your amps

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hmm, you could use as Dac, but it won't be straightforward (as dlna renderer like this one for example: http://forums.androidcentral.com/android-apps/239379-app-arkmc-arkuda-media-center-dlna-application.html or just use Kodi for that) but much easier would be to use it as dap, just use 3.5mm audio out to your amps
It may be easier to use it to output digital and use an external DAC. I read that iphones and some Android phones can do it so may be the tab s2 can do it too. I still don't know how, yet.. I have a few DACs and added a 64G sd card to the tab so it can be fun too if I can get it to bypass it's internal DAC and output in digital instead.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks again, so I need to get some cables first. Its really just for fun ans satisfy my curiosity, I have enough DACs already.:D
just to be clear, this solution doesn't make your tab s2 as dac, just using it with an external dac

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
just to be clear, this solution doesn't make your tab s2 as dac, just using it with an external dac
Yes, that's what I meant, to output digital for use with an external dac.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis