Figuring best sub for setup for around 600$

E

eclipsemf

Enthusiast
Im looking to upgrade my home audio from the logitech z623 system to something much bigger. Trying to stay around 600$ and must have a sub woofer. I mostly listen to rap and hip hop so I want a system that can pump out a lot of bass. From a little research so far I have found 2 solid set ups. I dont need anything great for tv or movie watching mostly will just be listening to music on this set up.

Sony LBT-GPX55 which is a pre built off the shelf system with some good numbers behind it 500$

The other thing I'm looking at is building a system from various brands.

BIC Acoustech PL-200 12" sub
Pioneer VSX 1022k Reciver
Infinity Primus PL63BK X2 speakers
Around 650$

I was wondering if any one has any experience with any of these products or have a killer sub system that they think I should go with instead!

Thanks for the input

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Welcome to the forum, What do you use as a source, I take it this is a music only system? Do you use an ipod, cd player, ps3, pc, ect? What cables do you interconnect with HDMI, RCA, Toslink?

For me with music I would go with an integrated amplifier, pair of bookshelfs, and a subwoofer, use fmods and the subs xover to separate the highs and lows... I'm not sure how critical of your sound you are and it sounds like you like it loud, your budget will be better spent on an efficient bookshelf {you get more for your money} and a pair of subs {when you double the subs you only need 1/4 the power to make the same sound as a single sub, so 2 subs will have more than double the output at 1/2 the power setting}... Normally seled subs are best for music but with your budget the most inexpensive sealed sub I like the sound of is $500, and would blow your budget...

So start with a pair of bic f12's {I like these subs, and when doubled up, they have a ton of output for $370
http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-F12-475-Watt-Subwoofer/dp/B0015A8Y5M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379334329&sr=8-1&keywords=bic+f12

Next an integrated amp for your bookshelfs, you can use an avr like you mentioned above if you need hdmi inputs and video switching, but for music where you are going to use a dac or plug in an ipod I prefer a direct path with none of the video circuitry and garbage in the way, plus integrated amps seem to stand up to abuse and be 4 ohm stable http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-812&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla

But that only leaves $125 or so for your bookshelfs.. That limits what you are going to get greatly... I like these but they are $75 over budget http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-B2030P-Ultra-Linear-Reference-Monitor/dp/B000N94S7O/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1379335658&sr=8-8&keywords=behringer+truth or you can go with something like the Pioneer AJ speakers others will chime in where you can get them on the cheap...

then you will need some cables splitters and a pair of fmods http://www.amazon.com/FMOD-Crossover-Pair-High-Pass/dp/B0006N41KG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1379335716&sr=8-5&keywords=fmod so budget in another $40 or so for that stuff..

By using a decent monitor bookshelf and crossing it with the fmods at around 100hz hp, you will free up your amps power for highs {lows take up a lot of your amps current}, then by using dual f12's you will be able to run your subs at a lower gain per sub and it makes the subs sound smoother and easier to place... If you can swing the budget, I own a pair of truth monitors, and they are really nice, I have a lot of experience with the f12 subs, and also will do what I think you are looking for...

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If you aren't using HDMI, I would be looking at used receivers on craigslist and ebay. Older receivers can sound great for a 2.1 system and can be had for very little, as long as you don't need the latest and greatest features. Forget the Sony system, it will suck. The Primus speakers you listed are good, as are the Behringer speakers that ImCloud mentioned, I have both. I like the Behringers better, but the Primus are still very good, and on a tight budget you aren't losing much by going with the Primus, in my opinion.

As for subwoofers, I would go for the Premier Acoustics PA-150. It's listed there are acousticsoundesign for $500 shipped, but they will take less if you make counter offers. They have been known to sell for around $400 shipped. A bit of bargaining will take a chunk off that price. Why that sub? It has been compared to the PL-200 directly here. Above 50 hz, the PA-150 is tremendously more powerful than the PL-200, and above 50 Hz is where most of the bass in hip hop music lay. It isn't that much more expensive with some bargaining, and you will like that sub a lot more. So I think you could get the PA-150, a pair of primus bookshelf speakers, and a decent used receiver for around $600, maybe a tad more, and that system would rock you.

E

eclipsemf

Enthusiast
Thank you for the quick and detailed replies! This will primarily be a music on system coming from either a laptop or ipod but having an AVR to plan for the future and get a new tv would be nice but defiantly not needed. I like my music clear but im not going to spend a ton of money trying to get it perfect I am much more concerned about the lows.

1 Question for the Power amp. How will the subs and book shelfs all be on the same page? Will that require a bunch of splitters or will a main box need to be had also? Im hopeing to have everything ordered by the end of this week!

Also room dimensions are roughly 16'x24' so its not a huge room to fill if that changes anything.

Or could something like a Sony STR-DH540 5.2 work and could be had for 175$
Thanks

Last edited:
ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Thank you for the quick and detailed replies! This will primarily be a music on system coming from either a laptop or ipod but having an AVR to plan for the future and get a new tv would be nice but defiantly not needed. I like my music clear but im not going to spend a ton of money trying to get it perfect I am much more concerned about the lows.

1 Question for the Power amp. How will the subs and book shelfs all be on the same page? Will that require a bunch of splitters or will a main box need to be had also? Im hopeing to have everything ordered by the end of this week!

Also room dimensions are roughly 16'x24' so its not a huge room to fill if that changes anything.

Or could something like a Sony STR-DH540 5.2 work and could be had for 175$
Thanks

OK first sure that sony will work but its for surround sound, I like running direct path for music, it keeps everything ismple and clean... Also if you do want to go with an avt, I can think of a few I like better than that sony for sure...

If yuo go with the setup I listed earlier... With the bic subs you will need splitters since it doesnt have rca in/out like most others.. If you step up to the polk 505s no splitters needed..

If you do want to go the avr route for a little more than that sony I would go with this one.. DENON AVR-1912 7.1ch Network A/V Home Theater Receiver w/ Airplay | Accessories4less

E

eclipsemf

Enthusiast
Thank you ImcLoud. Heres what I am going with...

2 Bic F12's
Dayton Audio APA-150
Infinity Primus PL63BK
FMOD Crossover 1 Pair?

What style splitters? and Is there any other wiring needed?

Thanks!

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I would buy some decent stuff,

2 of these Amazon.com : Mediabridge CYA-1M2F-P Ultra Series - RCA Y Adapter - 1-Male to 2-Female for Digital Audio or Subwoofer : Subwoofer Cables : Electronics one on each channel of the apa150's input with the fmod plugged into the amp first, so this plugs into the back of the fmod...
2 of these Amazon.com : Mediabridge FLEX Series Dual Shielded Digital Audio Video Cable - (6 Feet) - RCA to RCA Gold Plated Pro Grade Connectors : Electronics one of these goes in one end of each splitter, and to the subwoofer, they have all different lengths, not sure how long you need...
1 set of these Amazon.com: FMOD Crossover Pair 100 Hz High Pass: Car Electronics
1 of these Amazon.com : Mediabridge RCA Stereo Cable w/ Left and Right Audio (6 Foot) : Electronics this plugs into the other side of the splitter, and goes to your audio source....

Thats about it, what is your audio source?

E

eclipsemf

Enthusiast
Awesome Thank you very much! My audio source will either be an Ipod/phone or coming from a computer, both of which are 3.5mm jacks

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
then you may prefer this cable Amazon.com : Mediabridge - 3.5mm Male To (2) RCA Stereo Audio Cable - (6 Feet) - Step Down Design accommodates iPhone, iTouch, SmartPhones & MP3 cases : Stereo Jack Cables : Electronics for your source...

I think you will be very happy with the system, it will have a strong low end for sure... Also you can always upgrade it with another apa150, and bridge them mono to each speaker for double the power, but with the fronts crossed you should have enough power to get some good listening levels with the single amp..

E

eclipsemf

Enthusiast
Everything Has been ordered! Total was $446.05 after some discounts I had around. This price was only for 1 f12 for right now, with the other one getting ordered this Friday, I couldnt wait to get the first batch of things ordered! I's will be sure to do a review once everything comes in and is set up. ImcLoud thanks for the help and I may be sending you a pm once everything comes in to make sure I have the wiring done right!

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
You may like it with just the single sub, although with 2 they wont work as hard if you like a strong low end... be forewarned once you enter the audiophile world its addicting before you know it you will have a pair of phil3s with a preamp and set of 500w mono blocks...

Take some pics when you get it all set up and let us know what you think, you have room for upgrades, add another sub, add a pure i20 dock http://www.amazon.com/Pure-i-20-30-Pin-iPhone-Speaker/dp/B0049MOK92/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379381808&sr=8-1&keywords=pure+i20 then you can add another apa150, then after you can start trading up, lol, it never ends...

Last edited:
E

eclipsemf

Enthusiast
I figured it wont hurt to start with one either, but I did order enough cables and accessories to run 2! And ive been an audiophile for many years with my car, which has everything Focal it can, but just started to get the need to carry the loud music in to the house! Ill come with updates as thing arrive!

E

eclipsemf

Enthusiast
Update number 1. I got the power amp and the Inifinty speakers in yesterday. So far they have been used along with my logitech system until the sub arrives on Tuesday. I am very impressed with the power amp first. Running it at half power puts out great sound and is not even taxing the system. I have ran it constantly like that for over 5 hrs straight and it barely got warm. So far this "budget" build is sounding great I will come back with pictures on the final update once the sub come in!

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
great to hear keep us updated, and we love pictures..

E

eclipsemf

Enthusiast
I got everything all set up and running finally after a PM to Imcloud. I must say this system for the money is excellent! The sub is very deep and plays my music perfectly. The sub is set around 85Hz and 3 on the volume scale out of 10 and is enough to rattle my whole house! It is currently down in my office in the corner due to some work being done in the living area, the room is a bit smaller so it may be bloating the bass sound a bit but needles to say it has way more power with in. So far the only minute complaint I have is I need 2 more of the Infinity speakers to give it a more complete feel where I'm getting all bass from behind and the music from front. But this will also change when it gets moved upstairs. For under 500$ I could not be happier, and thanks every one for the help. I will post picture when I get it all moved upstairs.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis